Forum Member

Default different schedules

I had no idea there were so many different schedules. Here some I came up with, I know there has to be more, whatís yours?
    How many hours a week do you work? Iím talking about per year average (2080 hrs in a year = 40 work week).
    How many Kelly Days (reduction day) do you get and can you pick them any time or do you have to use one every 21 days?
    Does any one get an flsa bonus for working more than 21 days in a row?

Schedules I came up with
    24/48 = 24 hrs on / 48 hrs off 56 hr work week

24/72 = 24 hrs on / 72 hrs off 42 hr work week

96/96/96/144 = 96 hrs on (4 Days) / 96 hrs off(4 Days) / 96 hrs on (4 Days) / 144 hrs off (6 days)

24/24/24/24/96 = 24 hrs on / 24 hrs off / 24 hrs on / 24 hrs off / 24 hrs on / 96 hrs off "Berkley Schedule"

48/96 = 48 hrs on / 96 hrs off

10hr(day) on / 14 hr off / 10hr(day)on / 24hr off / 14hr (nite)on / 10hr off / 14hr(nite) on cycle followed by 96 hrs off.

4 on(2days/2nights) 10hr day & 14 hr night. Then we are off for 2 days...then 4 on(2days/2nights) Then we have 6 days off.

10hr day, 14hr night, day off, 10hr day, 14hr night, 72hrs off

Three 10hr. days, Three off, Three 14hr.nights, Three off,

2 10's then off 48 then 2 14's then off 72.

Lets Hear It
    FireMurph

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

I think you got them all. Maybe try a search and I know
    you will hit the jackpot because I post too much about
    this subject.

Good luck, Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Heres a shift from the past that many big cities had and was a factor in forming the IAFF. It was called continuos duty. On duty all the time with one day off a month. In the DCFD, one man on sick leave cancelled that day off for the other guy. We were one of the last big cities to go to a 2 platoon system around 1918. They worked days on one platoon and nights on the other with a 24 hour shift on Saturdays to flip the shifts. That lasted until about 1962 when we went to a three platoon system with 3 days on followed by 3 nights on and then 3 off. We changed to 24/48 with Kelly days in 1986 and the current four platoon 24/72 off in 1991.

The Northern Virginia departments of Arlington, Fairfax, and Alexandria worked a 4 day on followed by 4 nights on and 4 days off until going to 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off.

There is also the Draconian 24 on 24 off
    schedule worked by our Federal Brothers.

For what ever reason, there seems to be very few if any, 4 shift departments west of Pittsburgh, Pa.

Forum Member

You missed one. Here the Paid guys work 12 hour shifts 6am-6pm and 6pm-6am. They work the same as plant or prison officers. So you would work 3 days (fri, Sat & Sun), off 2 days (Mon & Tues), then work 2 days (Wed & Thur), then off 3 days (Fri, Sat & Sun), then back to work again 2 days (Mon & Tue) and so on. 3on/2off/2on/3off. Equals 84 hours for a 2 week pay period.
    You work every other Fri-Sun and off the opposite weekends. They don't swap days and nights. The day guys will almost always work 6am-6pm and the night guys stay on nights. That's how I do it at my EMT job at the steel mill too. I work strictly nights 6pm-6am.

Forum Member

As an EMT at a transfer I worked 6am-8pm Thursday-Wednesday with Sunday off, then I was off for a week. It was 84 hours per pay perioud (2 weeks).

Also FireMurph, I work a 24/48 now, and its 60 hours a week, not 56.

MembersZone Subscriber

Houston Fire Department:

4 Shifts: A, B, C and D

24hrs On
    24hrs Off
    24hrs On
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off

Every 28 days you have a 24hr shift you go in and work on the opposite shift (Debit Day). The "A" Shift members work on the "C" Shift and the "C" Shift members work on the "A" Shift.

Equals an average work week of 46.7 hours.

Our schedule looks like this:

A,B,A,B,C,D,C,D,A,B,etc.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

PG county daywork (almost half of the line firefighters):
    M-F 0700-1500 (sometimes 1700)

PG county shiftwork:
    24 on/72 off

Eric

Forum Member

We work
    24 on
    24 off
    24 on
    24 off
    24 on
    24 off
    24 on
    off
    off
    off
    off
    off
    off
    24 on
    24 off
    24 on
    24 off
    24 on
    24 off
    24 on
    off
    off
    off
    off
    Then it starts over again,it's a 4-6,4-4 schedule.

Forum Member

Originally posted by thebigcheese

What? You mean I've been getting cheated all these years? I only get paid for 56 too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lincoln, NE Schedule

We work 7 on/8 off...24 hour shifts...

Always start on Wednesday...

Work Wed, Fri, Sun, Tue, Thu, Sat, Mon...Then 8 days off....

On my department, we actually look forward to Mondays

Forum Member

My station is currently going the motions of changing to the 48/72 schedule but we are lacking some good SOP's for the schedule. If any out there that is working this schedule and has a copy of their SOP's or SOG's for this schedule they could e-mail me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dusty L Bruce, BS
    White Sands Missile Range, Fire Dept
    Firefighter / EMT-I

Forum Member

My station is currently going the motions of changing to the 48/72 schedule but we are lacking some good SOP's for the schedule. If any out there that is working this schedule and has a copy of their SOP's or SOG's for this schedule they could e-mail me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dusty L Bruce, BS
    Firefighter / EMT-I

dusty.bruce@us.army.mil

Banned

One of the Guys from NYC posted in a different thread that they worked a 9 and 15 hour shift. They didn't give the number of days on and days off. I'm not in an FD, but I work in a 24x7 security operation.

We rotate shifts every two weeks

they are

Monday - Friday 7:00 - 15:00, 15:00 - 23:00, 23:00 - 7:00
    Weekends are 7:00 - 19:00, and 19:00 - 7:00. We then make up the other 16 hours during the week at our discretion.
    There are also 4 swing shifts
    Monday - Friday 9:00 - 17:00
    Monday - Thursday 7:00-17:00
    Tuesday - Friday 8:00 - 16:00
    And then the night swing is come in anytime between 18:00 and 23:00 and work 8 hours, or we can do 4 - 10 hour days.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thebigcheese View Post
    You guys must be getting something the rest of aren't! The way FLSA sees it, we work a 48 week, a second 48 week, then a 72 hours week, with an average of 56 hrs. paid as 57.5 hrs straight time. But being stuck up here in theNortheast we're still using the "old" math.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    Houston Fire Department:

4 Shifts: A, B, C and D

24hrs On
    24hrs Off
    24hrs On
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off
    24hrs Off

Every 28 days you have a 24hr shift you go in and work on the opposite shift (Debit Day). The "A" Shift members work on the "C" Shift and the "C" Shift members work on the "A" Shift.

Equals an average work week of 46.7 hours.

Our schedule looks like this:

A,B,A,B,C,D,C,D,A,B,etc.
    Interesting. Why the "Debit Day"? Up this way many 4 platoon FD's work the On/Off/On/ 5 off but I've never heard of the Debit Days, they just work a 42 hour week. Was this an appeasement to keep hours up with some OT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    You guys must be getting something the rest of aren't! The way FLSA sees it, we work a 48 week, a second 48 week, then a 72 hours week, with an average of 56 hrs. paid as 57.5 hrs straight time. But being stuck up here in theNortheast we're still using the "old" math.
    You are one of the few FD's in the Northeast working the 56 hour week. Most of the Northeast averages a 42 hour week over the 8 week cycle, working 10/14/ 4 off or the 24 on/off/on 5 off schedule.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-22-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: correction for spelling and syntax
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeekmarine View Post

Thanks,

Dusty L Bruce, BS
    Firefighter / EMT-I
    You need SOP's for a schedule?

They should be something like this: Show up if your scheduled to work. Stay home if your not. WTF?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    You are one of the few FD's in the Northeast working the 56 hour week. Most of the Northeast averages a 42 hour week over the 8 week cycle, working 10/14/ 4 off or the 24 on/off/on 5 off schedule.
    Oh, believe me I know. As I've said before, while most of us would love a fourth platoon, we'd rather have the equivalent spread amongst the three shifts we have. I was merely noting that three platoons equals a 56 hour week, I've never heard of the 60 hr. week.

Thread Information