Forum Member

Default Older Pressure Govenors

Older Pressure Govenors............pulling my hair out.
    I have been a paid engineer for about 5 years (county certified) I am now attempting to test for my Colorado state Driver/Pumper cert. So, I find myself these days learning what IFSTA calls everything instead of what I have been calling it anyway........ I was hoping that some of you saltier "been there, done that" types could help explain to me the "Older types of pressure control govenors" found in IFSTA, Pumper/Operator 1st Edition, Chapter 10 "Fire Pump Theory" Page 231. It states "On older types of pressure control govenors, when the control handle is pulled out, it lifts a split nut from a serrated piston shaft (Figure 10.62). The engine throttle is then advanced until the desired pump pressure is reached. The water control valve from the discharge side of the pump is then opened to permit water from the discharge of the pump to enter the cylinder." etc.
    Now if you look at the diagram....that doesn't make since to me. Pay particular attention to the control handle position and the split nut position.........I've heard that there is a few confusing and wrong items in this book I find myself in about 3 hours a day.
    Any help would be appreciated or if someone has a better explanation using a better diagram I would appreciate it greatly.
    OR
    Does anyone know if I'm really going to see something so trivial on the Colorado State Driver Pumper test?
    Thanks again,
    Scott

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

I KNOW NOTHING about colorado tests, but if you were in NC they would be a lot of silly little questions that have absoulutely no bearing on the subject. GOOD lUCK!!

Mountain FoolS...(WNC)...RTF,PTB,KTF,FTM,EGH!!

Forum Member

Yea, I've been told the same thing since my post. I guess now days thats the only way to really test someone's knowledge is to see if they have memorized the book aye?
    Any Coloradians out there that have any advice for me on the colorado test..........direction, advice etc.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Scott if you can find this book--Fire Service Pump Operator's Handbook by Warren E. Isman from Fire Engineering copyright1982. They have some good pictures and reading about pressure govenors.Don't know if that will help or not . Good day

Forum Member

Pineapples,
    Thanks man......... IFSTA has a great book I've been studying for 3 months now but I would have to say there are some diagrams and verbiage that just doesn't make since what so ever. So, I'll check it out and use it in conjunction with IFSTA in preparing for my STATE test.
    So much self torture of taking the STATE test when I get my raise with just my county cert, but it will all pay off someday when its time to move out of county.
    Scottsfire

Thread Information