Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default LODD Death - ? about it

I read somewhere that if a firefighter is killed in the line of duty doesn't the government pay your family or beneficiary so much money. This may be a false statement but I could have swore I remember reading something about it?

Thanks

There are two "levels" of benefits in most cases. Your state and local benefits, as well as your federal benefits. In order to receive either of these, there is usually (or in all cases) an application process, as well as a review and appeal process to be awarded the benefits if the death is considered "in the line of duty".

So to answer your question, yes, there are benefits that can be made available as long as it meets certain criteria.

Forum Member

What are those benefits?

Somewhat dated, around the year 1997, but it's a good resource about what the PSOB is.

http://www.firehouse.com/lodd/benefits.html

Not sure what the current benefits are, although, I'm sure that we can't put a price on what any public safety professional does...

The federal program is called Public Safety Officer's Benefits program or PSOB for short. Here's a link to the DOJ website that describes the program. The current PSOB for a LODD is $275,000. There's also an education benefit (scholarship) for the children and spouses of a fallen public safety officer. One more important point: last fall, the PSOB was expanded to include victims of heart attacks and strokes.

As you might expect, state benefits vary with each state. In Alabama, the state benefit is $50,000.

Warning: I am now climbing on a soapbox

Custer, this isn't aimed at you, rather at all firefighters - particularly officers....

As was stated earlier, there's no amount of money that can replace someone's life BUT it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that departments spend some time to get familiar with these programs. The time to learn about them isn't after an incident. A LODD is enough tragedy, we don't need to have a family suffer an additional financial burden because we as firefighters (especially us officers) don't know about the program. We owe the people that work for and with us that much....

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default NFFF website

http://firehero.org/

All the info you'll ever need.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Originally posted by EFD840

Custer, this isn't aimed at you, rather at all firefighters - particularly officers....

As was stated earlier, there's no amount of money that can replace someone's life BUT it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that departments spend some time to get familiar with these programs. The time to learn about them isn't after an incident. A LODD is enough tragedy, we don't need to have a family suffer an additional financial burden because we as firefighters (especially us officers) don't know about the program. We owe the people that work for and with us that much.... [/B]
    EXCELLENT Point!

There are many "little" things that can slow down the process or even eliminate the family from being eligible for benfits.

Many fire officers and fire chiefs have their head in the sand and have the attitude that "It won't happen here". Then it does and they havent the first clue how to proceed.

The PSOB link posted is a good source of information and the other best source is www.firehero.org also posted.

There are actions that need to be taken at the time of death, such as preserving the PPE, conducting an autopsy, etc.

The families of our members who die in the line of duty deserve the benefits available to them, but it is our responsibility as chiefs and officers that the process is initiated and handled properly.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

NVFC also has a listing of state benefits:

http://www.nvfc.org/benefits/benefits.php

EFD840 makes a great point. Let's hope none of us ever need this info but if we do we should be somewhat familiar ahead of time.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by EFD840
    [

As was stated earlier, there's no amount of money that can replace someone's life BUT it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that departments spend some time to get familiar with these programs. The time to learn about them isn't after an incident. A LODD is enough tragedy, we don't need to have a family suffer an additional financial burden because we as firefighters (especially us officers) don't know about the program. We owe the people that work for and with us that much.... [/B]
    Cincinnati FD put out a special report on the LODD of Oscar Armstrong III a couple years ago. A small part of it was how the department did not have a LODD protocol. People were scrambling for numbers to call, papers to fill out, etc. The report recommend that there be a detailed protocol in the unfortunate incident of a LODD. I'm not sure where that report is now, but if you search the forums, the link might still be good.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by mtnfireguy
    Cincinnati Report

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityfire/pages/-8214-/
    Ah, my hero, thank you. If you (or any FF you know) has not read this, please do so. So many lessons learned in one tragic fire. I had it printed and bound at Kinko's for future reference.

Eric

Thread Information