Thread: new to forum

Talking new to forum

Ok so i originally didn't know how this forum worked but now i do. I'm a Air Force firefighter currently serving in Iraq and not too much goes on here so i came looking to see if anyone was interested in what we do over here, or if anyone is interested in what AF fiefighting is like, let me know!! stay safe everyone!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi, How are things in Iraq for you? I have a friend thats coming over there as an Air Guard Firefighter. Is it as dangerous for firefighters as it is all the other soldiers over there? Do they try to attack the engines?
    The only true fear is fear itself!

Forum Member

Hey there I was thinking about joining the AF but then again i wanted to be a firefighter then I though how about a firefighter in the AF. How much do you get paid? And how hard is it to get to where you are now?

God Bless you for being what you are there are not many out there.

Thanks

Chugiak that's Alaska right?? i went to the fire academy with a guy from alaska, does the name Greg Matthews ring a bell?? Ok about it being dangerous for firefighters over here, it depends on the mission. i'm actually assigned to the Fire Prevention office and take care of all the inspections and millions of other things we do over here. so it's pretty safe for where i am. Rocket and morter attacks are common but they are usually duds. They can't get on base so they can't attack the engines. does your friend in the guard know where he is going over here?? I know that my station is being replaced by all guard and reserves so if he comes to Kirkuk then he's pretty safe. we don't go off base at all and our mission here is the flightline. At other bases it is different but if you haven't been through convoy training you won't be exchanging fire with anyone. To Mrcobrn, i was a volunteer firefighter before i came in as an active duty firefighter in the AF. the training you get and the education is awesome. after my four years i'll be fire 1/2, ARFF, instructor 1, and possibly officer 1. it gives you great oppurtunities to progress your knowlege, but for seeing fire not so much. i have been in a year and a half and have seen one garage fire and that was the first fire at my base in 6 years. but it was still the best decision i have made yet and will be ahead of the game when i get out and go for that paid job. it gives you alot of opportunities and you travel alot and it's all free!! i say if your looking at it as a career or just for four years than you can't go wrong. let me know if you have any other questions i can talk alot more about it if you want.
    stay safe everyone!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Greg is the person I was talking about going over there.....I run with him at Chugiak, yes in alaska. He says hes going somewhere up north, but cant specify. Its a small world....can I ask youre name and say hi to greg for ya? Anyways, its late for me, and i have to work tomorrow, and am on duty tonight. Thanks

Jeremy

Greg and I were real good friends in the academy tell him that Callan says what's up and he's proabably coming where i am. he'll know who i am when you tell him my last name. when is he leaving??? i'm out in a few days but tell him to email me at peter.callan@krab.centaf.af.mil. next week use this email petercallan2004@yahoo.com. tell him i said good luck and it's not that bad over here and email me if he can before he leaves. small world man.......

MembersZone Subscriber

yea, no problem man...I havent really ever asked greg because he's guard and hasnt done much as a firefighter yet, but would it be worth my while to join the AF as a firefighter, I have considered it many times, but have always stepped back from doing it. If you'd rather you can send a reply to this to CHS_GRAD_2004@hotmail.com. If you could answer that question and maybe give me an idea of what all you do in an average shift, and what kind of additional training you get after your tech school.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Thread Information