Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rugby Question

Question Rugby Question

I watched some Rugby matches in college, but never got too deeply interested. I do have one question that pertains to Rugby and only Rugby (cuz I know where it will go otherwise) - In Rugby, what is a "Hooker"?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Bones,

I did a search on this and it appears that "hooker" is one of the positions. According to one site, the hooker must be "small, agile and a control freak". Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I tried.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Watched my first Rugby match many years ago, cousin of my wife was playing. After a while I asked him 'why do some of the guys have pieces of rubber tire innertubes around their head/ears?". He said so someone doesn't rip your ear off during a scrum I played hockey for 10 years, always enjoyed the rough stuff....but rip my ears off?

Banned

This should give you the answers you are looking for.

http://www.6-nations-rugby.com/howto_players.htm

Thanks pengman, that's a pretty interesting read.

I saw a bumper sticker this morning..."Play Rugby, keep a hooker employed." Made me laugh and figured it meant someting rugby'ish.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

just remember that rugby and football are played by men with funny shaped balls

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

Rugby? We don't need no stinkin' rugby!
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Originally posted by pengman
    just remember that rugby and football are played by men with funny shaped balls
    But the hookers still like em anyways.

Forum Member

A hooker is a position in the scrum.
    The scrum is when everyone lines up and they all slam into eachother and push, ya know, the thing that makes rugby look all mean.

The two teams have a tunnel between them and the hookers job (while in the scrum) is to use his foot to "hook" the ball back through his teams feet so the scrum half can put it into play.

Pretty hard to explain without showing but check out Fox Soccer Channel they show rugby around 2 am.

or find the local club and check it out.

I play for Central Florida Knights rugby football club.

- Ryan

Thats a pretty good explanation if you ask me.

Usually a shorter guy, normally built like a barrel, and with no neck.
    Not a good idea to run full speed into one of these, as normally you just bounce off.

Not the fastest around the paddock, but when they do run into you, you tend to not like the train wreck.

Usually low on IQ, which comes from constantly slamming their head into other players.

Lock is a much better position, behind the front row, not taking the big hits when the scrum sets, but providing the power for the scrum.

Usually taller guys, locks also provide the jumpers for lineout throw ins.

Watch out if a lock gets his hand on the ball and is opposed by the back line. Someone is going to be sore.

Running into a good lock is usually more exciting than running into a hooker, you will bounce further.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

locks are the guys mentioned above that have 'bicycle tubes' tied around their head. This is because their ears get mangled and twisted from putting their heads up peoples arses (locks pack in between the props and the hooker)

So in summary, locks like to put their heads where they shouldnt go and grab the prop's shorts around the crotch area.

Though i wouldnt pack into a scrum without extremely good locks, you can pack a scrum without a skillful hooker, but the props and locks have to know what they are doing.

Thread Information