Default Cairns Leather New Yorker

I just bought a new Cairns Leather NY'r. How do you shape the tail down?

Forum Member

Question Re: Cairns Leather New Yorker

Originally posted by deerparkny

WHY would you want to do that? Leave the thing like it came from the factory. Wear is with pride and take care of it.

My old 5A is the same design shape as it was when I took it out of the box years ago. Maybe a little worn but still works the same.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Re: Cairns Leather New Yorker

Originally posted by deerparkny
    You may void any warranty...

A few fires with the lid will "season it"...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

If the back brim folds down, if the sides curl up or down, it is by being exposed to fire duty. No amount of "modifying" can do the same. You and your helmet either "earn" it, or you don't. Just a thought.

And by the way, your department lets you were a Non-NFPA compliant helmet?
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

What is wrong with you people and your NFPA infatuation? I will tell you how to bend your helmet around, when you catch a nice hot job, the leather becomes pliable, when it is in this state you can bend it any way you want! Enjoy, oh and a warranty, do you think cairns takes a picture of every helmet before it leaves to keep an eye on its shape, Phewww. You folks worry way to much!

Forum Member

I agree with bronxfireman 100%. The person is asking a question, not looking for a lecture. I personally have a leather helmet and I have the back of it (the brim) bent down. Not because of how it looks or that I think I'm cool, but for me personally, it allows me to look up when otherwise I wouldn't be able to due to the brim hitting my air pack. It also allows the water to roll from the front of my helmet (which is slightly bent up) to the back and down. Some of you guys need to relax. As far as answering your question, there are numerous ways to mold the helmet, including leaving it in the hot sun for a short period, dipping the brim into boiling water for a short period and/or holding it over the boiling water so the moist heat heats it up. Anything that warms it up. Warm moist heat is best for the helmet. Be advised, some of these techniques could slightly bubble the paint. Overall, it will be fine. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

kudos tfd !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

According to my Dad (because I don't have a Leather new Yorker). Put it in boiling or extremly hot water (the tail) and take a lot of time in front of the tv bending it as you please.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bronxfireman
    What is wrong with you people and your NFPA infatuation? I will tell you how to bend your helmet around, when you catch a nice hot job, the leather becomes pliable, when it is in this state you can bend it any way you want! Enjoy, oh and a warranty, do you think cairns takes a picture of every helmet before it leaves to keep an eye on its shape, Phewww. You folks worry way to much!
    Nothing wrong... except that one should earn the right to put the bend on the lid by actually fighting a fire or two instead of boiling/baking/microwaving/frying/incinerating one's helmet for the sake of the "look of crust"!

So there!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

Nothing wrong... except that one should earn the right to put the bend on the lid by actually fighting a fire or two instead of boiling/baking/microwaving/frying/incinerating one's helmet for the sake of the "look of crust"!

So there!
    Yea!! Any-damn-way!!

MembersZone Subscriber

After a few hot fires it will drop down to a near perfect bend. Just be patient catch a few good jobs and you'll be all set.

Forum Member

A few of the **wackers** in my hometown company have decided to bend the back brim flat, instead of down. The disgusting part is, they haven't seen any fire, save for some training burns. The best part is that the one kid (the one I just happen to hate the most) has his helmet brim more at an upward slope than flat, it looks so stupid....but I guess it takes after him. Personally, I'd like to have a cool story for each little piece of damage to my helmets...but that's just me....

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I'd like to have a cool story for each little piece of damage to my helmets...but that's just me....
    Ditto on that one...
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

Thread Information