MembersZone Subscriber

Question Help Finding A Job

i was wondering if any of yall's departments are hiring non-certified firefighters? I havent had time to go to the academy yet but i am working on getting my emt cert. and saving money to get into the academy.I am currently a volunteer and have been for 3 years and served 1 year as a lt. In texas is a little harder to get in to the academy without your emt-b or better. I have no desire to run "medical" calls although some are fun. So if your departments hiring and dont require emt and fire cert please let me know my e-mailing me at noonday42@firehousemail.com or leave a reply please. Thank you all and god bless!

Forum Member

Look at any of the DC Metropolitan area counties. You would be grabed instantly with Paramedic Certs, but all the counties train new recruits from the bottom up. Look at Fairfax Fire and Rescue, Montgomery County, Maryland Fire Department, Prince William County Fire Department, Prince George's County Fire Department, all have been hireing lately.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Early Adopter

Default Re: Help Finding A Job

Originally posted by noonday2
    I have no desire to run "medical" calls although some are fun.
    Perhaps you're a couple or three decades too late. As you'll soon find, the modern fire service is heavy with EMS -- from first-responder engine companies to ALS transport.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by noonday2
    i was wondering if any of yall's departments are hiring non-certified firefighters? I havent had time to go to the academy yet but i am working on getting my emt cert. and saving money to get into the academy.I am currently a volunteer and have been for 3 years and served 1 year as a lt. In texas is a little harder to get in to the academy without your emt-b or better. I have no desire to run "medical" calls although some are fun. So if your departments hiring and dont require emt and fire cert please let me know my e-mailing me at noonday42@firehousemail.com or leave a reply please. Thank you all and god bless!

Good Luck with that, 80-85% of FD calls are EMS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fighterfighter
    Good Luck with that, 80-85% of FD calls are EMS.
    Speak for your own company. Mine only runs 45 - 50% EMbS

MembersZone Subscriber

Depends on what company you're with on my job regarding EMS. Out of the 8-12 runs we do a day...maybe 1 is EMS. Other companies run just as many calls and most are EMS.

As far as hiring. No previous experince/education required here. I heard yesterday that they extended our list and plan on yet another recruit class after this one graduates. No idea how many. probably 20-30.

i have not heard when we are testing. You can check this link every so often:

http://stlcin.missouri.org/OnlineJob/jobs.cfm

It should be listed as: "Probationary Fire Private"

good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Check your email

Permanently Removed

Several thoughts-

If your trying to avoid the medical calls, you better join the USFS. (Forestry unit) They still see some blood and guts once in awhile.

Also, welcome to the world of testing. It has taken qualified candiates up to 5 years to get a job. You need to start hunting now and applying at a lot of places vs. just waiting for a job to come to you.

Find some job sources out there. Here is a good one-

www.firerecruit.com

And then go to www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Noon, Here is an on-line fire academy right here in Texas. You take all your courses on-line and after you complete them you report to the physical fire academy where they run you through all of the hands-on for about 2 weeks straight. A lot of paramedics are doing this to be cross trained so they can get off the box and people like you (rookies) can get on.

http://www.trainingdivision.com/

Don't know how much it costs but it seems pretty reasonable if you have to work full time.

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Almost everywhere in Texas requires you to have your basic firefighter from TCFP with your EMT-B. The only exceptions I know of are some metroplex cities will send you through a fire academy IF you already have your paramedic. As far as with nothing at all, You have Dallas, which requires 60? hrs of college, Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio.

Thread Information