MembersZone Subscriber

Question Help Finding A Job

i was wondering if any of yall's departments are hiring non-certified firefighters? I havent had time to go to the academy yet but i am working on getting my emt cert. and saving money to get into the academy.I am currently a volunteer and have been for 3 years and served 1 year as a lt. In texas is a little harder to get in to the academy without your emt-b or better. I have no desire to run "medical" calls although some are fun. So if your departments hiring and dont require emt and fire cert please let me know my e-mailing me at noonday42@firehousemail.com or leave a reply please. Thank you all and god bless!

Forum Member

Default Re: Help Finding A Job

Originally posted by noonday2
    i was wondering if any of yall's departments are hiring non-certified firefighters? I havent had time to go to the academy yet but i am working on getting my emt cert. and saving money to get into the academy.I am currently a volunteer and have been for 3 years and served 1 year as a lt. In texas is a little harder to get in to the academy without your emt-b or better. I have no desire to run "medical" calls although some are fun. So if your departments hiring and dont require emt and fire cert please let me know my e-mailing me at noonday42@firehousemail.com or leave a reply please. Thank you all and god bless!
    You have served a year as a Lt. with no certs!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default Re: Help Finding A Job

Originally posted by noonday2
    I think you are in for a rude awakening
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

former FH.com member

Thumbs up

San Antonio FD is getting ready to hire again. The next entrance exam will be August 1st. No prior experience/certs necessary, if hired you will be put through SAFD's drill school and get all your certs. (including EMT so you'd better learn to like medical runs).
    SAFD is looking to hire up to 80 cadets this year so good luck!

Official info HERE

Forum Member

Is there any department other then FDNY that you can join with out certs, that you won't be doing any EMS? I sure can't think of any.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DFD...

Detroit Fire Department. It looks like they should be hiring right after they get rid of their crap-bag mayor. Maybe this year, maybe six years.
    Good luck with your quest!
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Forum Member

Nope, no hiring non-certifieds here. Budgets don't allow us to hire a career guy that can't do "everything". Minimum requirements are coming close to a college education, as well as having EMT-I and FF I or II in some cases.

Also, any career department here in Vermont, you'll be running medicals. Whether it be Brattleboro VT doing first response, Springfield doing transport, Hartford doing the transport, or South Burlington doing transport, you won't be getting out of medicals.

Also, the volunteer departments are running medicals too. Not just the paid guys. Departments are adapting to low budgets, and lower staffing levels. It's not efficient in the smaller cases to cut off additional money flow.

Forum Member

Good luck. Most of the big cities around Texas aren't hiring right now, either due to hiring freezes or otherwise, and most of the small towns that are require all certs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Is there any department other then FDNY that you can join with out certs, that you won't be doing any EMS? I sure can't think of any.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are a lot of NJ departments which do very limited or even no medical calls. Jersey City and Camden come to mind. I'm not from NJ, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

In this day and age of the fire service expected to be the "they do it all" department of municpal government, individual qualities such as commitment, training, education and willingness to "do it all" are essential for job candidates today. I do not know about the south, but up north here, you need as much as you can to put you at the top of the list. EMS is a huge part of our job and even if you do not care for it, you will probably have to do it. I wish you luck in your search.

Permanently Removed

Default Time to get real...

If you really, REALLY want to get hired, you need some
    ed-u-mon-kation (education) abd some certs. Face it,
    the World Series, Super Bowl and Stanley Cup are not
    won with out talant. (please spare us the jokes)

Now, some FDs will hire 18 y.o., HS Grad. and a valid
    DL. But pretty much everyone brings something to the
    table. I guess its up to you what you want to bring.
    Since you dont have much in terms of certs. and dont
    want medicals, consider the US Forest Service. They
    will train you. Get those job listings at-
    www.fedworld.gov

Lastly- If youre serious about job listings, here are
    the two best sites-

www.firecareers.com
    www.firerecruit.com

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to be certifiable do your recruit training online right here in Texas. You do all of the classroom stuff online and attend a 2 or 3 week hands-on portion at the end of the class and I think it is up in your area. Go to: http://www.texasfiretraining.com and check it out. Good luck

Thread Information