Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will this work?

Default Will this work?

I am planning on becoming a firefighter later in life. I do not want to be a career firefighter though. I want to be a cardiologist and a firefighter. While I am in college can I be a part time firefighter? Don't you have to go to a special school to train for firefighting? Will they let me do this even though I am in college? Thanks for all of your help.

Default Re: Will this work?

Originally posted by Zak123
    I am planning on becoming a firefighter later in life. I do not want to be a career firefighter though. I want to be a cardiologist and a firefighter. While I am in college can I be a part time firefighter? Don't you have to go to a special school to train for firefighting? Will they let me do this even though I am in college? Thanks for all of your help.
    Depends on the local departments, my department's FFI/II class has a few college students every time, class runs every two years, and goes Tuesday and Thrusday nights, then every other weekend for a few months, should be no problem for the typical college student. Where are you going to school?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

I commend you on your goal to be a cardiologist. You can become a call/volunteer firefighter. If you can get your training during the summer, you should be all set.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I am not in college yet. I have no clue where I plan on going. I am thinking about going to Alabama.

Forum Member

If you make your required meetings, training, and a fair amount of calls, most volunteer departments would welcome you with open arms. Man power is scarce around my area.

Default Doc and FF...

I too think your career choices are great. In fact I work at a hospital and a friend of mine is an M.D. (internal medicine) who also works for the FD in the city that he lives in. He does mainly EMS calls, but he is FFII certified. So, as busy as med school students are, it can still be done. I would suggest getting your FF certs while doing your undergrad or even before. You will be very busy after that for about the next 20 years!
    Good Luck,
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Zak123,

University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa?

If so, you probably couldn't have picked a better place to pursue both vocations. The City of Tuscaloosa operates a career FD but many of the surrounding communities are volunteer departments. Also, most importantly, the Alabama Fire College is located on the campus of Shelton State Community College in Tuscaloosa, Al. Here's a link to the Fire College website

Just another quick fact about firefighting down here. Career firefighters have to attend a Fire College sanctioned academy, volunteers have no training requirement BUT the Fire College has a 160-hour certified volunteer firefighter course that is a Pro Board accredited Firefighter I course and in past years, the fire college has taught this course on the weekends. Once you get the 160, you can go on and take FFII, Instructor, inspector, etc - just like the career guys. The Pro board accreditation is huge because if you relocate to a state that requires Pro Board FF1 certification for vollies, you're all set.

So, in short, "will it work?" ABSOLUTELY!

One more thought. Since you're considering UA, this might not sound very appealing, but Auburn University has a 'student firefighter' program where they actually employ students as firefighters. Here's a link to a page describing the program.

Good Luck!

Thread Information