Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb On-board computers and GPS mapping systems

Our Department is looking for information concerning on-board computer systems and GPS mapping software.
    I would like some input from those who currently have these systems. My questions are:

1. What type system (removable laptops or hard-wired systems?

2. What type software?

3. What are the good/bad points?

4. How do you receive your alarms?

5. What fd are you with?

You can contact the Oldsmar or Tarpon Springs, Fl fire departments. They are the test sites for our new county system. Im sure they would have good information to share.

http://www.ci.oldsmar.fl.us/Fire/fire_rescue.htm

http://www.ci.tarpon-springs.fl.us/
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

The most important place to start your search is through the dispatcher's office. Your dispatcher currently uses some CAD program to dispatch calls. A good amount of CAD programs have mobile computer "clients" to be used in responding vehicles, sharing information like call location, call type, units responding/onscene, etc.

The hardware (Computers, GPS, mounting) is the easy stuff. The hard part is getting the info to the hardware. Send me an email if you want to talk further.

Chris
    cmurphy@sjcny.edu

We currently have onboard laptops in all our units. We use the Panasonic Toughbook, They are romovable, I dont know what software information you want, If we are in district we can recieve a dispatch from the truck ( an alarm go off on the laptop and the call sheet with dispatch info pops up on your screen) If you would like any more info feel free to email or PM me. I know this is not much info but I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Thread Information