Forum Member

Default Florida: The New Old West???

Not quite sure what I think about this...

From the news story:

It is either a Wild West revival, a return to the days of ``shoot first and ask questions later'' or a triumph for the Castle Doctrine, the notion that enemies invade personal space at their peril.
    Such dueling rhetoric marked the debate over a measure that passed the Florida Legislature so emphatically that National Rifle Association backers plan to take it to legislatures across the nation during the next year. The law, signed by Gov. Jeb Bush on Tuesday, will let Floridians ``meet force with force,'' erasing the ``duty to retreat'' when they fear for their lives outside their homes, in their cars or businesses, or on the street.

Read the whole story here:

Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

They said the same thing when Florida passed a concealed carry law several years ago. Crime dropped and the number of people that broke the law was a miniscule percentage. They were saying that Florida would become the "Gunshine state."

I have the right to defend myself and my family if endangered. These freaking bleeding hearts make seem as if they're is going to be shoot outs on every street corner. Of course to many folks, gun control works too.

I saw a report on one of the morning shows this morning and the tone of the reporter was one of such disdain for firearms it was rediculous.

I'll just about guarantee you that there will be little or no change in crime stats, but the press won't report on that because it would mean that people have some semblance of intelligence and firearms owners can exercise self restraint and be judicious about using their weapons.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Your right about the press and how they pick and choose what and how they report a story. 3 or 4 years ago, they did away with the law that requires motorcycle riders to wear helmets.

Ever since, everytime we have a fatal MVC with a motorcycle the story focuses on if they had a helmet. Nothing about who was at fault or what the situation was

What I like about the new law is, if you shoot someone breaking in to your house, you no longer have to go to court and prove you were acting in self defense. What concerns me is when it involves automobiles, what with all the road rage we have already.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Thus the legislators failed to craft a proper bill delineating common sense of when things can be done and cannot. What do you expect from elected officials Dave? Your money's worth?

Pretty sad that you have to have a law passed saying that you can defend yourself.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

Sharkie's right on, there will probably be little change in crime rates. If anything, there will be a slight reduction. Jeff Foxworthy has a comedy bit where he explains that trailers with a car on blocks never gets robbed because criminals know 'a gun lives there.' There is a good deal of truth to that statement. All Florida has done is give people the ability to defend themselves without fear of being labeled criminals, something that should be a fundamental right. The bleeding hearts that think the answer is to disarm the populace just don't have a grip on reality. It just takes one look at SteveDude's posts about the soaring crime rate in the UK to see what happens when the wolves have absolutely nothing to fear from the sheep.

Forum Member

EFD - don't forget to look at Australia and Canada. Both are beginning to see rapid violent crime growth, in both cases since firearms laws have been passed.

An armed society is a polite society.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Sharkie,

I really hadn't followed Australia and Canada's always going to use the crutch of 'they came from the US'.

To me the UK example is the most telling. -They're a small island so nobody is sneaking anything across the border.
    -They're (when compared to us) a very homogenous society, something like 92% white.
    -They've got something like a 99% literacy rate.
    -They're an overwhelmingly Christian populace.

If ANYBODY should be able to make liberal ideas on gun control, crime, and punishment work it should be them yet the crime rate is out the roof. I truly think it can be greatly attributed to the fact nobody's going to whip out the S&W and teach the occasional mugger what happens when he brings a knife to a gunfight.

Thread Information