Thread: Passover Fire

Forum Member

Default Passover Fire

I'm tired of people accusing the FDNY of not responding quick enough when incidents are happening. After the accusations when the company was at department MANDATED training, and now this past pass-over fire. People need to start thinking before they run their mouths to the press.

many people here criticized the fire department's response time even though fire officials say their response time was incredibly fast - just three minutes and 50 seconds, below the city average of four minutes and 18 seconds.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=41275

Well look at another report on the same fire.

Firefighters say a smoke detector in the apartment had no batteries.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=41247

Instead of saying it could have been prevented if firefighters showed up sooner, people should realize they could have been alerted sooner that the incident was happening if they had fire alarms correctly functioning. Not just that but it takes time for firefighters to get from wherever they are, to the side of the rig, and dress, before being able to pull away from the station. As far as I am concerned, any response under the average response time is commendable. Not to mention that it isn't firefighters' faults that the NYC area is being understaffed all too often.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Forum Member

Didnt you know, its always "our" fault. We are the fire department, it is our job to protect life and property no matter how careless people are.

Just because people dont take the time to check the batteries (if they have detectors) doesnt make it their fault. "We" should be able to take care of it, and when we cant, we must have done something wrong
    Last edited by Dave1983; 04-27-2005 at 08:16 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not just FDNY. Almost every fire I investigate reveals at least one person accusing the fire department of taking an astonishingly long time to arrive on scene. The latest one that I had involved a fire where the original report was actually a radio alarm from EMS. The firehouse was six blocks away. The official response time was less than three minutes. The witnesses claimed over 30 minutes.

Very often, this charge is a result of confusion over the fact that no one called the fire department.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm tired of people accusing the FDNY of not responding quick enough when incidents are happening. After the accusations when the company was at department MANDATED training, and now this past pass-over fire. People need to start thinking before they run their mouths to the press.
    Actually the UFA and others agree that any and all civilians have a legitimate claim as putting a company out of service does have a direct effect on the fire safety of that neighborhood. It has happened with Ladders 119(same neighborhood as this fire) and 153 and those are just recent examples where the first due companies are OOS for medicals, training and other "planned" events. It is one thing if they are unavailable due to another nearby alarm as that is unpredictable and unforseeable..however a training excersize is planned and the Dept did nothing to staff an additional company to fill in for this anticipated vacancy is nothing short of recklessness on the part of the Fire Commisioner and Mayor.

As for certain people whining about the response times... I guess it would help if you worked in this area to understand everyone else is always at fault and these people are always "victims".
    Ask the brothers who worked in E209 how much the neighborhood cared when they were told they were getting shut down? They had more solitications from persons looking to buy the building (Ladder 102 is still in there) than those looking to prevent the Disbanding of the Engine Co. Only now after a number of fatal fires are they starting to complain. You'd just have to see it to believe it...you can't make this Sh*t up.

FTM-PTB

George- You are absolutely correct about these civilians and their concept of time. I've been hooking up to a hydrant in a guys front yard while he was yelling at me for how long it took to get to his house...this was despite the fact it was outside our city as these people purposely refused to be annexed into the city from the county. He wasn't even paying for our fire protection but got it for free and was still complaining. We were even first due before the dept he was paying for showed up. You can't please everybody.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 04-30-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Thread Information