Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumpster Fires

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dumpster Fires

I am looking for information re. dumpster fire responses. Is there a requirement or guideline that exists for what size hose to use. I know that there are varying opinions, but is there an actual guidline (NFPA, OSHA, etc). Thanks for the help.

Can't think of a NFPA/OSHA guideline that specifies the size of hose you should be using at a fire. Is it a 3 yard dumpster? a 10 yard? a 1/2 yard? Way too many variables for a standard.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

One particular "customer" in district had one of those you grill it steak house places, and we were constantly there for dumpster fires due to improper disposal of the coals.

We finally got to the point where we pulled up at the appropriate angle and distance to "lob" the water in from the deck gun, opened her up until things were good and soaked, and that was it. It was absurd how often we were there... We carry 1000 gallons, so that usually took care of things. I think they finally got tired of the mess every time it happened and did a better job of making sure the coals went into the appropriate place.

Was the deck gun needed? Nope. But it sure was effective, easy to use, and made short work of a call that we was all too common.
    Last edited by npfd801; 04-28-2005 at 09:26 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

I am a huge fan of the deck gun for dumpster fires (by the way, I always see "dumpster" capitalized. Why is that? Is it a proper noun? WTF?). Don't drag and contaminate your hose, don't subject your personnel to the nasty $#!+ in the can, put it out and go home.

By the way, for those of you in the Northern Illinois region, we have also been know to use the deck gun on MBI garbage truck fires.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Originally posted by jaybird210
    I am a huge fan of the deck gun for dumpster fires (by the way, I always see "dumpster" capitalized. Why is that? Is it a proper noun? WTF?).
    It is actually a trademarked name like Kleenex ot Q-tip, so yes, you are supposed to capitalize it.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Exclamation

Deck pipes works the best. Just open the dumpster and fill it up with water. They won't set that one on fire again until it is emptied. You have to be very careful on dumpsters. You never know what is in them and how bad they can be.

Kind of heavy to the dumpster truck, but he can always open the drain!

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 04-28-2005 at 09:55 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Originally posted by jaybird210
    I am a huge fan of the deck gun for dumpster fires (by the way, I always see "dumpster" capitalized. Why is that? Is it a proper noun? WTF
    I think it's the short version for Dempsey Dumpster, which like Band Aid or Q-Tip is a trademarked name.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=dumpster

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Dumpster Fires

Well, it seems all around here we just use a 1 3/4 handline using the "Fire Dept Access" ports on the side of the Dumpsters. Alot of the ones we run into are the compactor type that our local industries use. Just open the port and place the tip of the nozzle just inside the hole and start pumping. it helps A LOT to open the port on the other side so the steam, smoke and heat goes out the other side. I like the deck gun idea, eliminates getting everyone and everything nasty from the trash.

Do you guys have a dump that takes the state of Chicago's garbage Jay?

We've got two at the south edge of the county, and the stream of trucks coming in there on a daily basis is pretty impressive. Not sure if its from Chicago, but Rockford generates enough trash by themselves to keep them busy, I'm sure.

Have not had the pleasure of fighting a garbage truck fire yet. I'm sure my day will come. A town south of us ended up needing a tanker shuttle for one not too long ago. Not sure if it was an exposure issue, or something particuarly bad in the truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a interesting garbage truck fire a few years. About 3AM we get dispatched to a truck fire in front of the fire station. The station filled with smoke as soon as a apparatus bay door opened. Nothing like the smell of burning garbage as soon as you wake up. The driver then proceeded to dump the burning garbage right in front of the station. Unfortunately, this was the night before the annual Memorial Day parade. We had to get a Public Works crew in to pick up the mess and clean the road. The whole area smelled of orange de-odorant for the next few days.

I have noticed some trends in dumpster fires. Certain apartment buildings seem to have an increase right after Christmas when the can is overflowing and the pickup is a few days away.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Normally we send a single engine. If the caller says it's next to or touching a building,we send a full assignment for a building fire. Many times in the past we've gotten calls for dumpsters and they were in loading docks under an overhang and ended up with extention into the buildings.

Forum Member

in our county depending on the forestry service readiness plan is how we respond. if it is a 1 or 2 we run one engine, one tanker and a forest ranger. if it is a 3 4 or 5 we run 2 engine 2 tankers a BRAT unit and 2 rangers BRAT stands for brush rapid attack truck. 6 and 7 its a commerical alarm and 4 rangers and a plow. don't ask why we run like this it has been the policy for years and no one ever spoke up about it so it stays the same.
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Engine and Ladder on all Dumpster fire responses. Not all are the same. What happens when they are demolishing a building and putting the materials in a large dumpster?? You now have what might be considered the equivalent of a building fire, consider additional resources. They are all different.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

We have had a few. We have an apartment complex in our still that always gives a good dumpster fire several times a year. We are also a suburb of Rockford and run alot of Mutual Aid out to the landfills in the southren part of the county.
    Hey npfd801...were you on the good one in Roscoe with the garbage trucks?

HEY!! A neighbor!

We don't get invited up north too much. I did see video of the mess they had though. Interesting to say the least.

Link to pics/video

For those interested, click the link.

I'll have to watch what I say on here! You'll know at least what station I run out of now. I know better than to spout off on here and get in trouble though...

Is it safe to assume you run out of Station 2? We'll be down there in two short weeks with another batch of recruits to break-in.

we have to poke around in the dumpster after it has been filled with water to make sure there are no bodies in it..............

after we had 2 bodies found in dumpsters (after the fire was out) in 1 year...... they now make us just kinda poke around with a pike pole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by hrfes1; 04-28-2005 at 02:31 PM.

DECK GUN!! Or if you have a quint, the ladder pipe (like a big sprinkler). Fill it up and go home
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

It is actually a trademarked name like Kleenex ot Q-tip, so yes, you are supposed to capitalize it.
    Dammit! Now I have to remember to capitalize it. That upsets me greatly.

801, they're actually semi's hauling from, I think, West Chicago. Is that a weigh-point for garbage from the city? I'm not sure. There's gobs of these semis running up and down Rts. 30, 38, 64 and 72. I hear 30 has it the worst, but that might just be the jamokes living here that say that. If my informants have their info right, these things are hauling to some dump near Amboy? We've had two of their trailers on fire in the last few years. Nothing like what Roscoe had.

5342, I see one of my former bosses is now a... uh... "Administrative aide." How's that workin' out for ya?
    Last edited by jaybird210; 04-28-2005 at 04:43 PM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Boy I hate when folks quote my typo's!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

If it's the type dumpster where you can do this, the Jet dump works well.... no re-kindles. we have trash compactor sites, where the boxes are on a lower level, so we could back the trucks right up to the dumpsters, and let it flow. for the conventional dumpsters, we've got a jet dump extesnion with a 90* bend in it, where we could put the short leg at the truck and run the long end into the door on the dumpster. Always works well.

Thread Information