Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drive Cam

Question Drive Cam

Does anyone have Drive Cam's installed on their rigs? They were installed on our trucks today. I have mixed feelings on them, and was looking for some feedback.

Thanks

Gary

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

I have seen some of the videos from such cameras. All I can say about these is: assuming you are the best (choose one Driver/operator/engineer) FAO you can be, they will only help you out, in case of any accusal of wrongdoing.

It may also keep you from doing things, maybe ya shouldnt be doing.

Although I would bet that after a few weeks you will forget it is even there.

We have a back-up camera on our quint.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I'd be curious to find out what or why they put the cam in the apparatus for. Did something happen lately that would lead the chiefs to doing something like this or is it just being proactive?

I guess personally I wouldn't want it even though I don't have anything to hide. If it was inside the apparatus, then I would have to say I would be leary of it but only because of some of our conversation topics or crude jokes that get told while running around town "cruising". Ha!

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Question

is it a back up camera, or what ? something mounted in the cab ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Yea, I might have mis-understood.........after reading it a second time I think he is talking about something like the cops have.

Default drive cam

Sorry about the delay.

Yes, this is a camera such as law-enforcement uses. It continuously records both visual to the front of the vehicle, and visual inside the cab, as well as sound inside the cab. It is in a loop, and continuously records, unless and event occurs, in which case it saves 15 seconds prior to the event, and 15 seconds after.

Although I try to be a safe driver at all times, and in fact this is my job you know, I also am aware that accidents are not completely preventable. Should they happen? No, of course not. Yet, I don't like the idea of big brother watching. The personal liability is becoming so great that the promotion to Engineer is loosing more and more desirability all the time! I certainly do not want to put my family in financial jeprody for a mistake I make at work.

Now, that said, if we drive with due regard for our safety, and the safety of those around us, an incident "should not" happen. Yet, there is always the uncontrollable "others".

Just food for thought. I'm trying to be realistic, not grumbling and complaining, but not living in an ideal world, either.

we dont have them, and I know it is not high up on the purchase lst. They do make for cool videos.....http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...response+video

Also while you make think that someone wants to watch you .........dont forget that if someone hits you that the camera can work FOR you as well.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

OK...No we dont have one, but years ago one of our guys put his own video camera in a rig and filmed a couple hot responses. Made a good training tape for new drivers.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Well....with that being said I have to relist my question. Why did they put it in there? Is it for accidents? if so why inside the cab? Sounds weird to me?
    Scottsfire

With the "DriveCam", big brother is hardly watching. You don't need to worry about the conversations in the truck. It ONLY saves the video when there is an impact. You can M-F the chief up and down. As long as you weren't M-F'ing him 15 seconds before you hit something, no one will be the wiser.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by nmfire
    With the "DriveCam", big brother is hardly watching. You don't need to worry about the conversations in the truck. It ONLY saves the video when there is an impact. You can M-F the chief up and down. As long as you weren't M-F'ing him 15 seconds before you hit something, no one will be the wiser.
    There might be some "M-F's" flying just before impact, but it probably won't be about the chief...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Chief LeBlanc,
    You know the m-f's never happen with chiefs nnnooooooo not us. Especially the engineer types like ourselves....no sir....we never say things like that about chiefs.....when they are around. Ha!
    Just kidding....

All joking aside......so its a documentation tool that helps defend us in court and keeps my butt out of jail when I can show that I was doing everything right. Thats good.

Scottsfire

Originally posted by Scottsfire
    All joking aside......so its a documentation tool that helps defend us in court and keeps my butt out of jail when I can show that I was doing everything right. Thats good.
    Yep.... Unless you happen be snorting coke in the 15 seconds before you crash.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Or any other less-than-legal thing...
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

we have backup cams on all of our engines. Dont think there is one in the cab, unless they are spying...lol

Thread Information