Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Iranfromthezoo

Default What routes should I use to become a FF?

Hey guys as many of you know I am going to be a firefighter. I graduate from high school on May the 20th, yeah real life what a shame. I have a few options and really don't know where to go. First and foremost I`m going to give you my situation and then secondly my options.

I am a 18 yr old kid, never had a drug problem, smoking problem or etc...NEVER DONE IT. I have had the same job (digging ditches and reading water meters) for 6 years so I don't have alot of "work expierence". I am straight A's in school, people see me as responsible and etc.. and the most important thing I am a Christian and my faith is most important to me.

Now I have some pathways to go through:
    (A) I thought about going to the Air Force to be a Air Force Firefighter. But have to be in for at least 6 years
    (B)I can send myself through the state fire acad. and go look for a job.
    (C)I can go to a local FD but full of crap and get hired and they can send me
    (D)I can go to college and major in Fire Prevention and get my EMT-B and then do B or C.
    (E)Or I can do what everyone (including my fire chief) is telling me what to do. Go to college and get a good high paying job and still volunteer.

I don't really know what to do. My dream is to become a firefighter. Now if you had a guy who was a junior but just got off and wanted a career in FFing what advice would you recommend?

Default Re: What routes should I use to become a FF?

Originally posted by Cato36
    Hey guys as many of you know I am going to be a firefighter. I graduate from high school on May the 20th, yeah real life what a shame. I have a few options and really don't know where to go. First and foremost I`m going to give you my situation and then secondly my options.

I am a 18 yr old kid, never had a drug problem, smoking problem or etc...NEVER DONE IT. I have had the same job (digging ditches and reading water meters) for 6 years so I don't have alot of "work expierence". I am straight A's in school, people see me as responsible and etc.. and the most important thing I am a Christian and my faith is most important to me.

Now I have some pathways to go through:
    (A) I thought about going to the Air Force to be a Air Force Firefighter. But have to be in for at least 6 years
    (B)I can send myself through the state fire acad. and go look for a job.
    (C)I can go to a local FD but full of crap and get hired and they can send me
    (D)I can go to college and major in Fire Prevention and get my EMT-B and then do B or C.
    (E)Or I can do what everyone (including my fire chief) is telling me what to do. Go to college and get a good high paying job and still volunteer.

I don't really know what to do. My dream is to become a firefighter. Now if you had a guy who was a junior but just got off and wanted a career in FFing what advice would you recommend?
    A-E are all great options, you can for go B and apply to a larger department that will train you themselves. Personally I would say D & E are your best choices though for a most full filled life.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber SkipJack270's Avatar

Being a current Arson Investigation student, an EMT-B, with past volly experience and as an aspiring smoke-eater, I would agree with you on point D. I've come across the same options, and opinions. This is the way I look at it:

* While you are going to school, join up with a volly squad. Even if they don't pay for your training and all you get to do is haul hose and ride the apparatus, that's better than not being involved at all.
    * If they do train you, you will be getting two educations at once.
    * Do get your EMT. Not only can it not hurt you or your resume, but it will give you one more avenue of employment oppurtunities, and that all important experience.
    * As much as it sucks to say it, with a college degree, if you ever get to a point where you either can't or don't want to be a frontline hose jockey (or a significant other suggests it), you always have that piece of paper to fall back on.

If you have any questions about what it's like, or if you are interested in finding schools (I go to U of New Haven in CT), let me know. E-mail me, post, or PM. I'd be happy to help. Whatever you do, lead with your heart. That's the best advice that I can give you. Follow what you want to do, the way you want to do it. Seeing as you are a Brother, both in proffession and faith, I feel ok in saying that if it was meant to be, the Big Chief will make it happen. Keep yourself open to Him, and let Him guide you. With God at the wheel, the journey shall be smooth and straight.
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recommend volunteering and get nationally certified as a medic, Over here in Maryland if you wanted to get a paid job you will get head of the line if your a medic. Definitly go to colleg and get that paper I wish I did!

Thread Information