Thread: Audit Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Audit Question

What exactly does FEMA look for when your grant is audited. I've heard a few things but I want to be sure I have everything in line for them. Rumor has it they are doing 3 in my area soon. Thanks for any help. David

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Basically check your paperwork for the numbers that you submitted in the application, and then check the paperwork relating to what was purchased with the grant. I think our auditor spent about an hour at our place in January. For the 2002 grant. They're just a bit behind. They are required to audit those that were awarded more than $300K in federal funding, but sometimes if there's a bunch in one area they may do them all.

It's just like income taxes: if you did them right, no worries.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, they can look at any grants that have been funded in the past three years (AFG, Fire Prevention). I have heard (possibly just rumors) that they like depts. that have more than one award, either consecutive years or FP and AFG. Just so they can knock more out with one stop.

Brian's right. They're looking to make sure you have the merchandise that you were awarded, and that you have ALL of it. You want no inconsistencies. That would be bad. If you have all your items (notes, etc) in one file, with receipts, cancelled checks, etc. all the better for you. They're not dumb, so don't try to BS them...

BTW, Flash...you know I'll come over and look at your files and make sure it looks reasonably in line...just for you. Hey? Everything ok with you? You've been quiet lately.
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 05-01-2005 at 02:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hows it going Dixie, I've been around. Busting my you know what working though. Good to hear from you though. I'm just trying to get all of my stuff in line just in case they were to show up. I figure the rumors I'm hearing are for the past years grants and not 2004 since I haven't even closed it out yet. I may, when it gets closer to close out, give you a call and get you to come down one day when I'm working to look at all my stuff. Thanks, and I'll holla later on. Thanks.

Thread Information