Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    Capt Gonzo: What do you think about certain paint mfr's specifically citing in their literature (I know PPG Durethane is one) NOT to wax more than once a year? I ask this because our Engineer Nazi will not let our enthusiastic Juniors wax the rig (with PPG Durethane) prior to parades, community events, etc. He even has the ANNUAL wax date entered in the maintenance database. Thoughts?
    The only way to keep a vehicles paintwork in ablsoute pristine condition is to park it inside a hermetically sealed environment away from the elements and never drive it again

What are out rigs exposed to? Rain, sleet, snow, road salt, sand, environmental fallout, contaminants from fires, intense UV rays in the hot summer sun, etc.

In other words...tell the "engineer nazi" that it's safe to wax the rig more than once a year. My pov's get a thorough detailing twice a year and waxed a minimum of once a month!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Our trucks get waxed once a month. Our extensive truck day is Monday of every week. County wide the 1st Monday of the month is the day to Wax the engine, 2nd Monday is Ladders for those stations with ladders, rescues (ambulances) for those that don't, 3rd Monday is the day for Rescue's, and fourth day is battalion cars for battalion stations.

Originally posted by dmleblanc
    You can wax a fire truck?
    Sure, if it has paint on it. And I dont mean Rustoleum
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    Capt Gonzo: What do you think about certain paint mfr's specifically citing in their literature (I know PPG Durethane is one) NOT to wax more than once a year? I ask this because our Engineer Nazi will not let our enthusiastic Juniors wax the rig (with PPG Durethane) prior to parades, community events, etc. He even has the ANNUAL wax date entered in the maintenance database. Thoughts?
    The only thing I ever heard is they dont want you to apply wax for the first 4-6 weeks to allow the paint to "set". Pierce even told us not to wash it with our normal car soap that has wax in it. And its not just Pierce. When we had our parade truck painted at a local shop, they said the same thing. Heck, thats what I was told when I had my POV painted

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

To keep them shiny after a run, we usually hit it with the California Duster. Keeps the minor dirt off...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

This works great to get the water off...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Hahaha, gonz, I still have that issue floating around somewhere at my Moms house. I remember seeing the picture of the faded GoldLeaf that was used in the article. I did not know that was you. I guess now I can say I know someone who has been nationally printed!

Stay Safe!
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Mr. President, Mr. President?..............

In order to avoid taking all the fun out of the Forums I would like to offer a motion that we ban the use of the search process.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Originally posted by Dave1983

The only thing I ever heard is they dont want you to apply wax for the first 4-6 weeks to allow the paint to "set". Pierce even told us not to wash it with our normal car soap that has wax in it. And its not just Pierce. When we had our parade truck painted at a local shop, they said the same thing. Heck, thats what I was told when I had my POV painted
    The paint should be set when it leaves the factory. The bodies and cabs are painted in spray/bake booths before the interior components are installed. They can crank the temperature to 350 to 400 degrees in the bake booth. Final assembly ands delivery of the rig from the factory to the dealer can take another month or so, so it's safe to wax the rig upon delivery using caution around the vehicle lettering and gold leaf.

The "set time" is for the solvents to evaporate. Many of the newer paints used today are waterborne to comply with the EPA's mandates on volatile organic compounds (VOC's)

Repaints are a different animal entirely. Most body shops have
    spray/bake booths for refinishing, but due to the interior componenets and the amount of plastics used, they can only set the temp to 120 to 140 degrees. This allows the solvents top evaporate quicker, but the date range to wax can be anywhere from 60 to 90 days, depending on the paint.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

The paint should be set when it leaves the factory. The bodies and cabs are painted in spray/bake booths before the interior components are installed. They can crank the temperature to 350 to 400 degrees in the bake booth. Final assembly ands delivery of the rig from the factory to the dealer can take another month or so, so it's safe to wax the rig upon delivery using caution around the vehicle lettering and gold leaf.
    OK, but why then do they continue to say do not wax the rig for the first 4-6 weeks? This has come from the factory, not only from Pierce but from EVI & FMC (when they still built fire apparatus). This goes for the last rig we bought in 2002 back to the first new rig I was around for in 1984. I dont doubt what you say, as it makes sense to me. But why do the builders say different?

On a side note, I wonder how much longer they are going to use paint when powder coating leaves a longer lasting, much more durable finish.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

It is so they can cover their arse for the warranty.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Hmmm, probably

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by Dave1983

Sure, if it has paint on it. And I dont mean Rustoleum
    I think the last time our rigs were waxed was when we had someone with a DUI who needed community service hours....

Of course, RED fire trucks, like any red vehicle, take a lot of care to keep them from getting dull and faded. Our yellow trucks seem to keep looking fine with a minimum of maintenance....

Oh, and we have the California duster for our rigs at work....does a great job for quick touch-ups after a run!
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Originally posted by dmleblanc

I think the last time our rigs were waxed was when we had someone with a DUI who needed community service hours....

Of course, RED fire trucks, like any red vehicle, take a lot of care to keep them from getting dull and faded. Our yellow trucks seem to keep looking fine with a minimum of maintenance....

Oh, and we have the California duster for our rigs at work....does a great job for quick touch-ups after a run!

Soooo, there is something good about yellow fire trucks. Did not know that

Ive been trying to get a duster to use on our antique. No luck yet

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

CaptainGonzo:

Is it possible for you to clean out your pm box so I may talk with you? As much as I appriciate now knowing how to keep the new shinny red fire engine our chief is so proud of, looking shinny and new. My delema is that I have a shinny new red car. I would appriciate know how to keep it that way as I have (as old as I am) never actually washed a car before. Now that I have told the whole world my little secret, will you please tell me what products to use inside and out.

JoJo

Thread Information