MembersZone Subscriber

Default Keeping that engine polished

Dont know if this is the right area to post this, and don't know if anyone ever heard of this before either.

But after you put a nice coat of wax on your truck, about once a week we go back over the truck with some furniture polish. It keeps that amazing red shine to the fire engines, also use it on the tires. I find that it works better than Armour-All most of the time. Just some suggestions to anyone who didn't know about the other uses for furniture polish.

In fact, I have done that, we had a PR event one night and didn't have time to put a coat of wax on the truck. It took me about 10 minutes to polish it with the furniture polish rather than waxing it. We still wax the truck every month though.

Forum Member

or you could just use this: http://im.edirectory.co.uk/products/...iarsg12824.jpg spray it on, wait for it to haze (like 2 minutes depending on humidity) and wipe it off, preferably with a microfiber towel. comes off shinier then new!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Maverick9110E
    or you could just use this: http://im.edirectory.co.uk/products/...iarsg12824.jpg spray it on, wait for it to haze (like 2 minutes depending on humidity) and wipe it off, preferably with a microfiber towel. comes off shinier then new!
    We have stuff like that, we didn't like how it worked.

Forum Member

Never thought of furniture polish on the truck, but definitely don't like Armorall. It never dries and dirt sticks to it and looks like crap after you drive it. Vinyl dressing works great on rubber, and if you get a few coats on tires, after you wash them they don't need to be redone. The shine stays for a few months.

Forum Member

I am assumeing that you are speaking of a Pledge like product. Be careful, it dries out some types of paints and may types of rubber.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

well my partner told me about it about 2 months ago. It works great. Its nice working with a guy who has been around for 18 years.

Forum Member

Never heard of furniture polish or ArmourAll on the paint. We just use a high quality Carnuba wax every 3 months and wash daily with a high wax content car soap.

If we need a quick shine in between, we have some spray on stuff that is super easy to use and gives a nice shine. It only lasts a couple washings though.

For the inside, we have some stuff from ZEP that works on all kinds of surfaces. Gives a nice shine without the work or getting slippery like AmourAll.

The tires get spray on "wet look" tire dressing, I think from ZEP as well.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I've never heard of the furniture polish trick....... I would be afraid it would ruin the paint.....

Calling Captain Gonzo.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

How about the polished aluminum diamond plate?

Our truck is going to need a good polishing before our May long weekend fundraiser BBQ, and the diamond plate needs the most attention.

Any suggestions?

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    How about the polished aluminum diamond plate?

Our truck is going to need a good polishing before our May long weekend fundraiser BBQ, and the diamond plate needs the most attention.

Any suggestions?

Better do this before Diggler (Weruj) gets in here....

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sea...der=descending

The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

beat me by 2 mins ............. *&(^)$#&$ @
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    beat me by 2 mins ............. *&(^)$#&$ @
    I'm quick...... But it's not always a good thing!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

No no no no no no no!

Do not use furniture polish on the paintwork of your fire apparatus!

Use a good quality carnauba based wax or for more durability, a good polymer sealant. Remember... you get what you pay for, so don't go on the cheap!

Trust me... I have an auto detailing venture on the side and wrote an article for Firehouse Magazine on Apparatus Detaling in the November 1992 edition!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

In order to keep the trucks nice and shiney..

I use...

A JUNIOR!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Res343cue
    In order to keep the trucks nice and shiney..

I use...

A JUNIOR!
    Yah, but their teeth keep getting stuck in the grill.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Capt Gonzo: What do you think about certain paint mfr's specifically citing in their literature (I know PPG Durethane is one) NOT to wax more than once a year? I ask this because our Engineer Nazi will not let our enthusiastic Juniors wax the rig (with PPG Durethane) prior to parades, community events, etc. He even has the ANNUAL wax date entered in the maintenance database. Thoughts?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    No no no no no no no!

Do not use furniture polish on the paintwork of your fire apparatus!

Use a good quality carnauba based wax or for more durability, a good polymer sealant. Remember... you get what you pay for, so don't go on the cheap!

Trust me... I have an auto detailing venture on the side and wrote an article for Firehouse Magazine on Apparatus Detaling in the November 1992 edition!
    Thanks, Gonzo....... I knew we could count on you!!
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

You can wax a fire truck?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    Capt Gonzo: What do you think about certain paint mfr's specifically citing in their literature (I know PPG Durethane is one) NOT to wax more than once a year? I ask this because our Engineer Nazi will not let our enthusiastic Juniors wax the rig (with PPG Durethane) prior to parades, community events, etc. He even has the ANNUAL wax date entered in the maintenance database. Thoughts?
    The only way to keep a vehicles paintwork in ablsoute pristine condition is to park it inside a hermetically sealed environment away from the elements and never drive it again

What are out rigs exposed to? Rain, sleet, snow, road salt, sand, environmental fallout, contaminants from fires, intense UV rays in the hot summer sun, etc.

In other words...tell the "engineer nazi" that it's safe to wax the rig more than once a year. My pov's get a thorough detailing twice a year and waxed a minimum of once a month!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Our trucks get waxed once a month. Our extensive truck day is Monday of every week. County wide the 1st Monday of the month is the day to Wax the engine, 2nd Monday is Ladders for those stations with ladders, rescues (ambulances) for those that don't, 3rd Monday is the day for Rescue's, and fourth day is battalion cars for battalion stations.

Forum Member

Originally posted by dmleblanc
    You can wax a fire truck?
    Sure, if it has paint on it. And I dont mean Rustoleum

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    The only thing I ever heard is they dont want you to apply wax for the first 4-6 weeks to allow the paint to "set". Pierce even told us not to wash it with our normal car soap that has wax in it. And its not just Pierce. When we had our parade truck painted at a local shop, they said the same thing. Heck, thats what I was told when I had my POV painted

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

To keep them shiny after a run, we usually hit it with the California Duster. Keeps the minor dirt off...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information