Thread: fire shelters

Forum Member

Default fire shelters

Just wondering in this community, has anyone deployed their fire shelter before? Likes/dislikes....suggestions?
    EMT/FF

FOOPS

Forum Member

On the topic of fire shelters, we dont have them here in Australia, but i reckon they would be really handy. The Australian government trialed them many years ago with the old style type and found them to be useless. Though from my understanding they have improved dramatically since then.
    I would be very interested in where i can get some and for how much.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: fire shelters

Originally posted by EMTZeek
    Just wondering in this community, has anyone deployed their fire shelter before? Likes/dislikes....suggestions?
    I have never been in a situation where I had to deploy. My suggestions?

Lookouts, Awareness, Communications, Escape routes, Safety zones!
    Always ask yourself...what if? Then, make a plan.
    Trust your training.
    Examine the condition of your shelter regularly.

As hot as it may get inside....it is an absolutely worse HELL on the outside.

I'm not sure what you mean by likes or dislikes. It's not like we have a choice on which shelter to use...or have a choice on where and how to deploy.

Am I missing the point of your question?
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 05-04-2005 at 03:01 AM.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

the point of my thread was to see people's likes and dislikes of the way THEY deploy their fire shelter. I've heard some people go feet to fire, and some head to fire. Some practice against wind, with wind, ect. I was just looking for suggestions and tips from people who have been in that situation. Likes and dislikes maybe wasn't the best choice of words...
    EMT/FF

FOOPS

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up

Understood. Hopefully, those who haver had to deploy...successfully, will reply to this thread.

Good post...I hope we hear some insightful answers!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

On the subject of the Technical SOP for deployment. Feet first is the way to go. That is the way I was always trained for the simple fact of exposing a not so vital organ at the fire front vrs the most vital part ( your mouth ). And don't know if you've heard the wet rag rumor, but thats false. If anything, put a dry rag over your mouth. Take off your pack and whatnot and put it as far away from you as possible ( some people carry fusee's and even yet, some have had them combust within the shelter not even exposed to flame).

As far as deployment, I personaly have not deployed, but a coleague of mine did. It was labled a "Environmental Deployment" meaning that his crew was going to "rabbit" on him with an approaching front. Instead of having the risk of his crew getting burned up he called the deployment. No one was hurt, but the F.S. had found quite a few mistakes in the deployment.

Some members of his crew hugged the shelter around them tightly like a blanket, while others had feet or hands sticking out. THANKFULLY, no one got hurt, for they were in a huge safety zone.

Obviously the dislike of the shelter are going to out weigh the likes. But, he said that it did its job, which we all know is not too keep you from getting burned, but to provide breathable oxygen to your lungs. Dislikes obviously being , he had to use it.

Hope some of that helped. If not, sorry.

Forum Member

thanks alot for all the replies...on the "wet-rag" issue, my dept issued a new device called a hot shield. Its like a filter you can put on that will help eliminate toxic fumes. I know that breathing wet heat is worse than dry. Check out the hot shields at
    http://www.hotshield.com/
    EMT/FF

FOOPS

Thread Information