Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stortz locks, IDEAS???

Anyone have suggestions on how to get 5inch supply line stortz connections with locks unlocked easily?? Was on a 2 alarm fully involved structure fire when the last section got burned thru by a large fire brand, getting the locks undone after charging the line took 2 of us WAY to long to get them disconnected to replace the section. The locks are a horrible design and are both sides of the coupling!!

Default STORZ Fittings

TFT Res-q-renches, while a lighter duty spanner, will hold the lock in while you spin. I believe it's the only folding spanner that will do this. It does work. That's been my experience, at least.

They don't have it on the lock in this pic, but you can see how it works this way.

Or simply use two people. Each holds the lock with one hand, and uses their hand or a spanner to spin the couplings apart. Piece o' cake.
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-29-2005 at 12:45 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Storz are the easiest thing to use, though granted, they should have little arms on the side of them to make it easier to open when they are too tight. I find them so much easier to use, especially cause or brigade is a volley one, so if someone forgets to do a coil of hose properly or bowls it upside down, it doesnt matter cause you can run with either end.

I know of a department that found an easy way...they removed them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones, this brings up a question. Has anyone ever had experience with nonlocking storz connectors coming apart when pressurizes? We had some old non locking stuff donated to us, but had reservations about putting it in service.

We first had 4" Stortz and then replaced that with 5". I have never (knock on wood) had couplings separate by themselves.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Exclamation

If non locking storz coupling hose line is laid out and it has twist in it, there is a good chance when the line is charged, it will disconnect. I have seen this happen.

I know a department that had this happen to them using 5 inch LDH and no locking couplings. The driver twisted the hose as he was bringing it to the discharge and when the hydrant person loaded the line it twisted the hose and the coupling came off the intake. This was on the pump panel (left side). That is why I have always been for having LDH on the RIGHT side of the pumper as a safety issue.

Bottom line is be careful ans smarter that the hose line.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

The problem with 5 inch locking Storz couplings is that even if the line isn't charged, its awkward to depress both latches on both sides of the couplings in order to unlock them. We found that if when you reload and repack, if you make sure that the latches line up with each other, instead of winding up on opposite sides of the coupling, 180 degrees apart, it makes it a whole lot easier to get them uncoupled in a hurry. With or without using the large spanner wrenches. A lot of times, it's just one man breaking and coupling these connections, especially if it's a reverse lay situation. When we perform our Saturday inventory of the apparatus, the driver is supposed to check the hosebed, not only to count the couplings to ensure a full 1500 foot load, but he should also be checking the orientation of the latches. If the hose is loaded properly, with all the couplings to the front of the bed, this is not too difficult to do. You can usually see all the couplings, and if you were/are anal retentive like I was when I was a driver, you can spin all the swivels to see that all the latches are facing up, and are properly lined up. One thing that was a pain in the rear is when the fitting that is attached to the intake has the latch underneath, not in plain view, also a problem with 5 inch sprinkler or standpipe connections. It's easy to forget that sometimes they are also equipped with latches, and they are not always the same as on your particular brand of hose.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    If non locking storz coupling hose line is laid out and it has twist in it, there is a good chance when the line is charged, it will disconnect. I have seen this happen.
    Same here. We used to be 100% Storz -- even our 2" handlines. They usually stayed together. The larger lines would frequently twist apart before they started coming with locks.

I wouldn't remove the locks on 5"... not safe.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Resq14

Same here. We used to be 100% Storz -- even our 2" handlines. They usually stayed together. The larger lines would frequently twist apart before they started coming with locks.

I wouldn't remove the locks on 5"... not safe.
    Ditto on that. We have a mix of locking and non locking. The non locking is kept as spare, unfortunatly we nedded it the other day - running the 4" out from the hydrant the coupling came apart in the hose bed, pump op noticed as he was checking his mirrors and was able to stop - but yeah it caused a delay.

I do not like non locking couplers for that very reason.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Thanks, now I'm glad I didn't put that stuff in service. For years all we had for ldh was a 20 foot piece of 5" soft suction. I always made sure it was flat, then go a half turn left so that when it was connected the pressure would actually be trying to tighten it. We got into a hydrant with a lot of pressure and it actually turned the hose where it clamped onto the fitting. I figured if it could do that, it surely would/could uncouple itself. We have 2000 feet of 5 now, all with the pain in the butt locks, but I feel safer. If one of those couplers ever hit one of our members I would never forgive myself. Put the locks back on.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Rossco
    Bones, this brings up a question. Has anyone ever had experience with nonlocking storz connectors coming apart when pressurizes? We had some old non locking stuff donated to us, but had reservations about putting it in service.
    Yes. I was chased across a front yard by a wild 4" when it was charged and "connected" to the intake. This was at a fire in another city. Since we changed to LDH we have always used 5" and never had this same type of this incident happen to us.

MembersZone Subscriber

One person with 2 LDH spanner wrench can disconnect the hose by themselves. The wrenches will hold the locks open. At least the wrenches we have will hold the locks open. We had 4 in. without locks had one come loose, not good. 5 in. has locks, pain in the rear but a good thing.

We've used non-locking 5"(and in the case of one of our old engines, 4") storz since the day I joined the department. I've never personally had one spin off while operating the hydrant or the pump, but I've seen it happen.

That's one of those things that the MPO and hydrant man need to be aware of, and something that can be prevented with proper stowage and maintenance of the hose.

The only 'problem' w/ LDH line I've had is blowing up some sections of old hose at a fire...
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Default Re: Stortz locks, IDEAS???

Originally posted by Jimf34
    Anyone have suggestions on how to get 5inch supply line stortz connections with locks unlocked easily?? Was on a 2 alarm fully involved structure fire when the last section got burned thru by a large fire brand, getting the locks undone after charging the line took 2 of us WAY to long to get them disconnected to replace the section. The locks are a horrible design and are both sides of the coupling!!
    By "the locks on both sides" do you mean one per coupling, or one lock was on top and one was on the bottom? If its the later, thats your problem. The hose was not coupled correctly. The locks are supposed to be next to each other. If this isnt done when coupling the hose, you will continue to have probelms.

We had the same problem when we purchased our locking 5" a couple years ago. We even had the sales rep out to look at it. He told us what the problem was then explained that all you have to do is line up the little red arrows that are on each coupling (oh, thats what thoses are for, who knew )

And yes, I have seen non-locking Storz twist when charged and seperate
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information