Thread: Latin?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Latin?

I'm going to risk it all by NOT searching this, But can anyone transpose (translate?) the phrase " thats the way we've always done it" into latin for me?
    Gravity, not just a good idea....
    Its THE LAW!

Sanity is not statistical.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Ut est via nos have usquequaque perfectus is

...at least that's what I get from this website.....

http://www.translation-guide.com/fre...glish&to=Latin
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 04-29-2005 at 04:35 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thumbs up

ITA SEMPER FECIMUS

HOC MODO SEMPER FECIMUS

Not perfect maybe, ma very close (i think):

ITA (HOC MODO) = this way
    SEMPER = always
    FECIMUS = we did (have done)

In latin the verbe is final, subject doesn't appear.

Ciao !
    Last edited by draco9; 04-29-2005 at 10:13 AM.
    arseverse

MembersZone Subscriber

Outstanding! Now for a logo.........
    Its THE LAW!

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to be a downer, but I hope there is more to your motto. I will share a nice little story with you and let you make up your own mind. I hate the mentality of "thats the way we always have done it". It means you are closed off to anything new or progressive...causes inbreeding and departments go stale with those kinds of thoughts.

Five Apes

Start with a cage containing five apes. In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, an ape will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the apes with cold water. After a while, another ape makes an attempt with the same result -- all the apes are sprayed with cold water. Turn off the cold water.
    Later, if another ape tries to climb the stairs, the other apes will try to prevent it, even though no water sprays them. Now, remove one ape from the cage and replace it with a new ape. The new ape sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other apes attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.
    Next, remove another of the original five apes and replace it with a new ape. The new ape goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous new ape takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.
    Again, replace a third original ape with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four apes that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the
    newest ape.
    After replacing the fourth and fifth original apes, all the original apes that were sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no ape ever again approaches the stairs. Why not? "Because that's the way it's always been around here."

Forum Member

Geez if apes are that stupid, then i would hate to know what would happen with five firefighters in a cage
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

When you have a long night it gives you time to "philosophyze" and come up with a great story
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Banned

This was my motto:- Nemo Me Impune Lacessit (No one provokes me with impunity).

Banned

you could use 'ICH DIEN' meaning I serve

Forum Member

You could use - Amino non astutia - By courage not craft or better yet Fide et fortitudine - By fidelity and fortitude
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

MembersZone Subscriber

while I appreciate the actual (mature) ideas and motto's I'm going for a little bit O' sarcasm. (the monkey story is part of my inspiration!)but maybe if I make my point here we'll come back to one of the real ones!
    Its THE LAW!

Thread Information