Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unhappy One Of Those "this Really Sucks" Kind Of Events

Fire survivor gets $30,000 hospital bill

Hayley Mick Canwest News Service April 29, 2005

OTTAWA -- A Cambodian man who lost his wife in an Ottawa fire that also killed four of his in-laws received a hospital bill Thursday for $30,000.

The bill accounted for the 12 days Bunny Svay spent in hospital being treated for injuries he sustained in the Apr. 4 fire that destroyed Mekong Grocery and killed five members of the popular Cambodian family who ran the store since 1998.

While at Ottawa General Hospital from Apr. 5 to Apr. 17, Svay was kept in intensive care to the tune of $14,840 and received $5,072 worth of X-ray and hyperbaric treatments.

In all, the total cost amounted to $29,631.20 -- a bill his family says they cannot afford to pay.

Svay immigrated to Canada in mid-March after being sponsored by his wife, Linny, who died in the fire. He is not eligible for provincial health-plan coverage because of a three-month waiting period.

The 25-year-old is currently living with his 15-month old son, Sipheng, and father-in-law, Makara Thach at the home of longtime family friends.

Thach, still sleepless and devastated by the loss of his wife, three sons aged 12 to 14 and his only daughter, said Thursday the family cannot afford to pay the bill.

"He never had any savings before and he doesn't have any savings now," said Thach's close friend and interpreter, Riveaux Lay.

Ottawa General Hospital sometimes waives fees on compassionate grounds -- for example, when a person has suffered major loss or trauma.

By Thursday the family had not contacted the hospital about the process of having the fees waived.

"If and when they do decide to touch base with the hospital they will have their case reviewed," said Ottawa Hospital spokesman Ron Vezina, adding the case would be considered "very closely."

Compassionate cases typically involve tourists or visitors who are not covered by the provincial health plan, have no health insurance and are unable to pay.

A hospital board considers each case individually and makes a decision on whether the fees should be waived.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I thought that you guys had universal healthcare up there. Or is that just an Urban Legend?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Actually Dennis, you are correct, however for immigration/move between provinces, there is a 90 day wait period.

I think in this case, he is not eligible because he did not meet the 90 time frame. When we move between provinces we are usually covered for the first 90, hoping that the new policy kicks in on time, before the earlier one is recinded.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Actually Dennis, you are correct, however for immigration/move between provinces, there is a 90 day wait period.

I think in this case, he is not eligible because he did not meet the 90 time frame. When we move between provinces we are usually covered for the first 90, hoping that the new policy kicks in on time, before the earlier one is recinded.
    Man at least here we know we have to always keep ourselves covered. poor guy.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Maybe the "exceptional" circumstances of this case and the associated publicity will go some to the bill being "quietly" dropped...?
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Wish i had the money to give this guy.
    I kow i will be sending a prayer skywards tonight for him.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Even when someone falls through a loophole in the Canadian system, medical expenses are rarely collected aggressively after a major illness or trauma case.

Combined with the nature of the incident, and now the news coverage, I would be surprised if the hospital pursued the recovery.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information