Thread: Driving Course

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Driving Course

I am setting up a driving course for our small vol department. What sorts of things are normaly covered in a pumper driving course. I have taught ambulance emergancy driving but dont want to miss anything in for the engine.

thanks

Forum Member

Check out the IFSTA manual and Master Drive Prog. The IFSTA manual for Driver Operator First addition is the most thorough I've seen and the number one accepted standard in FFing. In the manual there is a chapter on cone courses and driving rodeo..........gives set up and cone clearances. The guys should have tons of fun with the deminishing clearance excersize. Ha.
    Hope this helps,
    Stay safe,
    Scottsfire

MembersZone Subscriber

Check with your insurance company. VFIS and ESIP both offer EVOC train the trainer packages with all the required info. Both companies offer this free of charge. If you are not insured with either, try calling them and see if they will send a package anyway. My experience has been they will normally do anything they can to try to get a foot in the door. If not, let me know through this forum and I can send you one of our copies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course maybe I should have looked at the location you are at before I replied! If you still can't get anything, we'll still try to send something your way. Good Luck and stay safe.

Forum Member

I'll see if I can copy the State CDL driving course and send it to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info, I will check these out.
    Our administration would like to go with a recognized certifiable program for the driving. I was prepared to develop one myself, but they want the coverage.
    Any info you can send would be a great help.

Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default EVO driving course

Ive got an outline for you. I could fax it too you if you wish it breaks the entire course down for you..let me know

MembersZone Subscriber

The course that is used in our station consists of CDL manual along with IFSTA Driver/Operator Handbook. I put the major topics on power point and use it during class room instruction. Also included in the course is responding from home, size up for drivers and SAFETY.

Our station responds through many traffic lights going to fire call across town. We also respond through heavy mall traffic. All of this is brought into the class room and discussed. Then during actual response our OIC will let the driver know their weak points. We then review and work on improvements.

We have an outside driving course that each driver has to use yearly. If he/she fails to attend they are removed from driving until a course review is held.
    Last edited by njt4276; 06-08-2005 at 09:42 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have found that the best driving training is just to go out and drive.

IMO, the cones are worthless.

MembersZone Subscriber

USFA also has an instructors guide they print for EVOC. Just go to their publications page.

Thread Information