Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Vehicle and Gear

For Those Volunteer Firefighters out there...

Just wondering how some departments run. The department that i am in does not let anyone except officers respond directly to the scene, and only officers can keep their gear in their car. We are only allowed to have Blue lights, no sirens, no red / white / amber or green lights.

How about every1 else...

We keep all our gear with us, we dont really have any rules against responding directly and we are not allowed lights on private vehicles and we have to obey the road rules.
    (as you can guess, this does terrible things for our response times)
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

It might slow down response times slightly, but on scene shiney side up is a good thing. I say slightly because even with lights and siren on my pov, the people with their heads up their butts don't act like they even see it. I'm convinced it doesn't save a whole lot of time, and most times, I don't even turn them on.
    To answer the question, all our members should keep their gear with them at all times. Chief and assistant can have red lights on top and white lights facing forward only. All other members can have red only, dashboard or lower. Our rule is obey all traffic laws while responding.

MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

I always have my gear in my car and I'm not an officer. I also have the ability to respond to two different stations due to where I live. Also, to drive to my station I head down a main road that often times has accidents, so I respond to on scene.

In regards to sirens, etc. I only have blue lights. In my department I believe only Captains up are allowed to have sirens. Regardless, blue lights for me is enough
    Local 2068

Forum Member

Everyone on our department is issued a set of gear that they keep with them. We are a rural department and are allowed to respond directly to the scene. Once okayed by our chief we are allowed to run blue lights and sirens. There is usally a 1 year wait to get the ok and anyone not following the rules can have their lights confiscated by the department. Like rosco said some times it doesn't help out help much. I tend to only run mine if a feel it can help. We can run 10 miles over the speed limit on main roads, but much obey all other rules(stop signs, traffic lights, tec.}

Our gear is kept at the firehall in your stall..Only people that generally respond to the scene in their vehicle are the Chiefs or First Responders on medicals,but thats a whole different story...Only time firefighters will respond in their car,such as I did the other morning, is when the trucks are gone and its a big fire..But if you do that you best be ready to walk a distance because they don't want you to park near the scene...
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Arrow also see here .................ghdsgfdgdfdf

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information