• Rotators

7 31.82%
  • LED's

8 36.36%
  • Other

5 22.73%
    Forum Member

Default Rotators, Strobes or LEDs

2 of our trucks have LED's, 4 have strobes. I prefer Rotators, I think they are actually brighter and better. Minus wattage and all that technical jargon, what lighting packages does your depts have, what do you prefer, is there a study on this...

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not sold on all LED's yet. The last three trucks we have purchased have both LED's and rotators. Our fifth engine that we just ordered will have a combo light bar (MX7000) with high speed rotators on top and rapid fire LED's across the bottom. All warning lights below the cab are LED's.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

To quote Josh, Will the dead horse please report to the forums!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyway, we have them all. Lightbar is rotator over halogen flashers, two strobes front of cab near headlights, l.e.d.'s on all four sides. All running lights are l.e.d. (brake, park, turn signals, backup). Like the l.e.d.'s except for the backup lights, wish they were halogen.

Forum Member

[bangs head on wall]
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Combinations..

I voted for ther, as I could not limit myself to one. Granted, rotators allow you a 360 degree view, they do not provide anough lighting on highways or on isolated, long roads. Strobes have the intensity that rotators and leds do not, however LEDS are brighter(I think). So I think a combination of leds, for the rear with somestrobes, and a pair of leads mounted for side view and forward facing strobes with stroes as intersections, makes the perfect truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I voted LED's strictly on this one.

I work as a Paramedic in a Provincially Run ambulance service here in Canada. I am also a deputy fire chief in an all volunteer fire department as well.

About 2.5 years ago, the Ambulances we were using started to be changed with regards to lighting. They started to remove the Halogen Bars off the roof and put LED's in the highrise section as a replacement. Initially, I was skeptical but after the last couple years of exposure to them, I would never be willing to go back to an ambulance now with anything halogen for emergency warning lights. The Newer models we are having are strictly LED's 360 degrees. And since we switched over to them, I can't remember a problem with having to change bulbs on a halogen light (which used to be a daily event in most stations).

Now, my VFD is totally different. Most of the members are strictly old school and have grown up around halogen, and wouldn't want to switch them out for LED's (even though I have convinced the chief due to the LED's i have on my personal vehicle.) We recently purchased in the last two years to say the least aobut 1 million dollars worth of New Apparatus, all with halogen lights. Beside an ambulance, these new trucks look pathetic with their lights on and are not nearly as easily seen by people. The Fire Apparatus, also in the last two years, had to have numberous bulbs and light heads fixed or replaced because of being burnt out, and this is only on a department with a call volume of 30-50 uses a year. (paramedic runs in this particular area are double that with no problems.)And if we are on scene, we have to idle our Apparatus up or turn some of the lights off on them all in order for the altenator to handle them all.

Sorry, Just a bit of an overview of why I have liked LED's since being exposed to them a few years ago.

On my POV, I am doing a bit of an experiment as to how many LED's I can run on it with a poor battery. I currently have an 8 LED amber arrow bar, A whelen 2 LED slimlighter in the rear window, Two pair Code 3 LED-X lights on my Grille and side of the front bumper,2 LED Able 2 LED's on my out side mirrors and a Galls 2 LED Dash Light. For 18 light heads, i am drawing less amps total than my fire chiefs single halogen dash rotator as his is drawing about 16-18 amps, and I am drawing a total with 18 light heads of just about 8 amps. My battery and alternator dont even know I turn the lights on, and with the lights on, and my vehicle off, it can take about 3 hours with this bad battery for the car to not want to start. My cell phone takes about 1 hour. (and it is all legal according to the motor vehicle act of NS since all the lights are clear when turned off)

*sorry for the long post. I got started and couldn't stop*

and this is my one kick at the dead horse

**** edited for spelling errors that i notice each time after posting ****
    Last edited by firefighter105; 04-30-2005 at 10:35 PM.
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Forum Member

Originally posted by nmfire
    [bangs head on wall]
    Hey brother, give me some room (bang bang bang). Damn, now I need a Motrin

For what its worth, studies have been done and a combination of different lighting types has been shown to be the most effective, as each has its own advantages/disadvantages.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave1983

Hey brother, give me some room (bang bang bang). Damn, now I need a Motrin M

For what its worth, studies have been done and a combination of different lighting types has been shown to be the most effective, as each has its own advantages/disadvantages.
    Morphine is better than motrin
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Thread Information