MembersZone Subscriber

Question Hose tower / training tower conversion

The idea of turning our hose tower into a training tower has been tossed about before, but for some reason it looks like it is getting some serious consideration now.

I'm looking at NFPA, of course, but has anyone done this already? What were your experiences, likes, or dislikes?

What features/toys would you want in a training tower?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Water bombs to throw at rookies for sure
    (Thats right im not the newbie no more)
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Well PattyV then welcome and G'day.

Forum Member

Its painful at times listening to Americans say 'G'day' but its probably the same when you hear us put on American accents.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Holy Crap! There's another Aussie on here. G'day Mate!, and how thing's up on the Gold Coast?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

is this for warren?

Forum Member

Its good up on the Gold Coast, the weather is nice and chilly (im up in the hinterland, im sure its hot down on the actual coast) And we are getting some despereately needed rain.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had a quiet wildfire season down here in Vic, but we need some rain. Just finished the warmest April since records were begun in 1851, and now they are talking about an El-Nino event for next summer, so we might be really in the poo if that happens.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

I seriously thought we were still in the last of the El Nino until they predicted another one for next year. (For you Americans, we had a period of about 5 years where it hardly rained at all, i think at least 95% of the country was in drought, there were kids who had never seen rain in the Outback)
    Where i live, it rained about 6 times in three years (well what you could call rain at least, there was a lot more drizzles and brief showers that hardly turned the grass green)
    Not a pretty sight for rural firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

So , anyway , 'bout that training tower...

Forum Member

Default Re: Hose tower / training tower conversion

Originally posted by ullrichk
    The idea of turning our hose tower into a training tower has been tossed about before, but for some reason it looks like it is getting some serious consideration now.

I'm looking at NFPA, of course, but has anyone done this already? What were your experiences, likes, or dislikes?

What features/toys would you want in a training tower?

It depends on the inside dimensions. The hose hangers can all be removed; this will give a clear area on the inside.

Using it as a place to repel would be good in the bad weather. Maybe you could use one to do ladder raises, providing there is enough room. Another though would be to use one for vertical rescue training.

The outside can be used for all the idea’s I have suggested plus other things you could come up with.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

So what do you think you can do in a 10'x10' room that is maybe 30' high? Can extend a ladder, but not raise it from a flat position on the ground. Besides you can probably dry alot more hose in it, at no energy cost, than in any electric or gas hose dryer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our tower is 38 feet high. I had pictured using the exterior of the tower more than the interior, though some of the interior is usable. Indoor rappelling would be nice, though we wouldn't have room for a ladder raise.

Some evolutions I'd like to see:

Standpipe operations
    Advancing / flaking hose on stairs
    Laddering to roof / windows, especially the bigger ladders
    Rappelling
    Bail-out (rope or otherwise)
    Vertical confined space work
    High angle rescue

Other ideas?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser