Thread: malahat paged

Talking malahat paged

Malahat fire department is starting to get its stuff togather after 18 of 21 fire fighters quit. Starting to look good. We are even geting to the point where we are putting together a auto extrication team together for the competition this summer in beaver creek. Should be good fun.

Forum Member

What on earth could make 18 out of 21 firefighters quit?!
    Most i have seen quit was two newbies that were on a trial period.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Re: malahat paged

Originally posted by Malahat18
    Malahat fire department is starting to get its stuff togather after 18 of 21 fire fighters quit. Starting to look good. We are even geting to the point where we are putting together a auto extrication team together for the competition this summer in beaver creek. Should be good fun.
    Have the issues surrounding why 18 of 21 firfighters quit, been resolved, or have they been replaced with 18 newbies?
    Last edited by Dave404; 05-02-2005 at 11:49 AM.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Default Wow, this one's never going to go away...

18 of the 21 quit over an insurance dispute with the local level of government.

2 of the members that quit went back on their own accord each in their own time...and when the others figured that their point was made, and no further action could be taken they re-applied, in the new manner that had been created. Of the 12 that re-applied (Others did not bother to re-apply at all) they took back 4 members, the former Lt. who is now a probie, one with less than a year, a second with 6 months, and a final who had two weeks. When these 4 members were brought back the automatic Mutial-Aid agreement was cancelled...

Hope this answers your questions...PattyV and Dave404

Anything else, I'd be more that happy to comment on, understanding that there's always two sides to a story

Forum Member

Good Luck in Beaver Creek...

I seen you guys run an extrication practice two weeks ago... single vehicle roll over, resting on the driver's side on flat and level ground... after waiting for 25 minutes for the vehicle to be cribbed I decided to go home... once again, good luck...

By the way, maybe I'll see you guys up there because it looks like I may have found another team to compete with.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Oh well, isn't that what practice is for ........ to get better at what you are doing? No one is perfect when they are first learning something. Practice makes perfect
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Let the games begin.....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Disillusioned Subscriber

Uh oh......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Practice really does make perfect...too bad it takes some longer than others.

Besides the best teacher is experience, is it not? I think that the lack thereof is going to do some damage.

Forum Member

Originally posted by thefewtheproud
    Practice really does make perfect...too bad it takes some longer than others.

Besides the best teacher is experience, is it not? I think that the lack thereof is going to do some damage.
    Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permeant. You can practice 24-7 it does not make you perfect. The more training you do the better chance to be successful

Well I'm only saying in agreement...using a quote of a commonly used phrase...

Really easy to get jumped on in here isn't it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by fireguy919

Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permeant. You can practice 24-7 it does not make you perfect. The more training you do the better chance to be successful
    fireguy.... if you want to go after the usage of the phrase then I guess you'd best bust my chops too. The response you quoted was made in reference to what I'd said earlier, and I had used the phrase "practice makes perfect". Your argument of "it does not make you perfect" is redundant really since NO ONE is perfect and we all make mistakes, which is how we learn. So no, you are right, practice does not make perfect, but practice does make you the best you can be at a certain activity/task.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

What a philosophical thread this has become...

The point still remains that incompetence oozes out of the pores of the vast majority of these firefighter, leaving the community at risk.

It would be best to allow those firefighters with experience back into the hall, rather than discriminating against them for their political stance.

Forum Member

Ding ding ding......... Round 2........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I have to wonder if it truly is a case of discrimination due to political "stances" that is causing the department to deny the applications or is it something else? I can't imagine a fire department in this sue happy day and age being so careless. Nahhhhhhh I'm pretty sure it's gotta be something else.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Originally posted by PFire23
    I have to wonder if it truly is a case of discrimination due to political "stances" that is causing the department to deny the applications or is it something else? I can't imagine a fire department in this sue happy day and age being so careless. Nahhhhhhh I'm pretty sure it's gotta be something else.
    Care to elaborate on what you think this situation is?

Forum Member

Wouldn't know what your situation is, nor would I care really. Just finding it hard to believe that a department would put themselves in a situation that leaves them at risk for a discrimination suit. So I figure there must be other, underlying reasons. People get denied everyday, maybe the applicants need to re-evaluate what they are bringing to the table. *shrugs* So very hard to say.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Perhaps the board has decided that those who reapplied are no longer reliable? That they will up and quit the next time they don't get their way? They called your bluff and now you're upset because they don't want you back?
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Re: malahat paged

Originally posted by Malahat18
    Actually, I for one am getting tired of hearing the rhetorical whining from certain former members of this department. So we'll get back to the original intent of this thread. Malahat18 came on here to give an update as to how his dept is doing after going through some upheavals. I think kudos are in order for this small department that has rebounded from losing most of their membership and has come up swinging. They have devoted members, members who are team players and work together, an important factor in a fire department. They are working hard to get their training up, with members putting in more than the usual amount of training hours to ensure that this happens. Unfortunately they are still being plagued by some ex members haunting their practices and their calls, hopefully these individuals will soon find something better to do with their time and move on. With the positive attitudes now on board at that department they can only grow. Best of luck guys !!!!!!

** edited for grammatical error **
    Last edited by PFire23; 05-04-2005 at 01:01 AM.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Pfire 23shoots...she scores!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: malahat paged

Actually, I for one am getting tired of hearing the rhetorical whining from certain former members of this department.
    That is probably the first good thing I heard you say since May 2004 and probably the only good thing I will hear until July 2005 :P

Unfortunately they are still being plagued by some ex members haunting their practices and their calls, hopefully these individuals will soon find something better to do with their time and move on.
    I suddenly found myself with 60-80 extra hours a month of free time on my hands, and you can be assured that those extra hours will be used to try to get this finished... but then again, I guess I am on the other side of the fence so my definition of "finished" is different from others.

Just finding it hard to believe that a department would put themselves in a situation that leaves them at risk for a discrimination suit.
    The fact remains that different groups of people where put through different application procedures for the same position.

If a woman had a different application procedure than a man, it would sexist.
    If a Native American had a different procedure than a Caucasian, it would be racism.
    If two equally qualified applications are subjected to two different procedures based on their political stance, it is discrimination.

The more politically involved firefighters where subjected to a different procedure than other returning firefighters, who in turn where subjected to a different procedure than people off the street.

Again, back to the original post.

It is good to hear that you think that the department is ready malahat18, but I will tell you that you still have a long way to go before you should try to take on anything like the auto ex competition because you will be embaressed badly.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: malahat paged

Originally posted by firefighter26
    It is good to hear that you think that the department is ready malahat18, but I will tell you that you still have a long way to go before you should try to take on anything like the auto ex competition because you will be embaressed badly.
    Hey 26, embarassed is only in the eye of the beholder. You've done such a fine job of ensuring that everyone on this Island and beyond are aware of your little dilemma that I highly doubt they need to be worried about embarassment. Frankly, I think they will be viewed as strong, competative....... like a Phoenix rising from the ashes if you will. Besides, it sounds like they are having fun doing their jobs, it's not always about winning. I think it's great that they've rebuilt and gotten themselves another extrication team going.

Oh, by the way, according to my count YOU are the only missing member from the old extrication team (not counting your sister who was a spare), so what's your point? All the old extrication team members are present and accounted for, as well as a member from one of the original extrication teams. Surely you didn't think that you were the team did you?

That is probably the first good thing I heard you say since May 2004 and probably the only good thing I will hear until July 2005 :P

Good I'm glad you are keeping track, let me know when I win a prize!
    Last edited by PFire23; 05-04-2005 at 02:44 AM.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

It is geat the 18 thinks his hall is going great but i had some questions to ask. You say that you guys are starting an auto extrication team but how are you guys gonna compete if you guys gonna be able to compete with the lack of experience your departmant has due to a complete set of new members. I understand that one of your captains is still a probie due to not completing his test yet. What does that say about your halls experience. Who is gonna get you guys ready for a competition.

Forum Member

Originally posted by damageinc15
    It is geat the 18 thinks his hall is going great but i had some questions to ask. You say that you guys are starting an auto extrication team but how are you guys gonna compete if you guys gonna be able to compete with the lack of experience your departmant has due to a complete set of new members. I understand that one of your captains is still a probie due to not completing his test yet. What does that say about your halls experience. Who is gonna get you guys ready for a competition.
    Can you please edit so that you are more coherent and understood??

Oh and as for your Captain/Probie comment, share with everyone just how many years experience and service to that department he had before he left? Is that type of experience something so easily forgotten? I don't think that your equipment has changed that much in 3 years has it.
    Last edited by PFire23; 05-04-2005 at 02:47 AM.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Thread Information