District Chief

Post New Port Richey Fla--Apartment Complex Burns to Ground

Blaze destroys apartment building
    By Times Staff Writer
    Published May 1, 2005

-------------------------

NEW PORT RICHEY - A fire early Saturday destroyed a $480,000 apartment building under construction on Seven Springs Boulevard near Perrine Ranch Road, fire officials reported.

A state trooper noticed flames coming from the three-story building about 2:15 a.m. Firefighters battled the blaze until 3:39 a.m., Pasco County Fire Marshal Larry Whitten said.

The fire charred a billboard about 300 feet away. Flames spread to two nearby power poles. Grass burned across the street. One of the fire engines' tail lights melted.

"We had radiant heat that was really heavy," Whitten said. He said firefighters did well to contain the blaze to the 24-unit building and prevent its spread to other apartment buildings being constructed on the property and to homes across the street.

The fire appears to have started at the south end of the building, Whitten said, but he said investigators had not yet determined its cause.

The apartments, The Columns at Seven Springs, have been under construction for about three months, Whitten said. They are being developed by ECI Capital Inc.

[Last modified April 30, 2005, 23:59:18]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

Default Story by Bay News 9

Flames break out at Pasco County construction site
    Saturday, April 30, 2005

Click here for an enlarged picture of the fire.
    Some Pasco County residents are saying they're lucky to be alive after flames broke at out an apartment construction site Saturday morning.

The fire happened at Seven Springs and Perrine Ranch Road in Pasco County.

Investigators said a Florida Highway Patrol Trooper noticed the blaze when he was driving by.

Firefighters said one unit burned to the ground, costing $480,000 worth of damage.

Residents living at the subdivision directly across the street from the fire were evacuated.

"The heat felt like you were getting sunburned and the firemen told us to start watering our roofs down," resident Mark Hadesty said.

Fire officials said the blaze was so hot and intense that some firefighters received minor burns. One was treated for chest pains and a bumper on a fire truck melted.

The state fire marshal's office assisted Pasco Fire Rescue in the investigation into the cause.

"When our first engine arrived on the scene there was a lot of fire showing, so we called for a second alarm," Pasco Fire Marshal Larry Whitten said.

There was no power in the apartments, so investigators are ruling out an electrical fire.

Investigators said the blaze is suspicious.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information