Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dennis Smith Books

What are some recommended books of his.

Also, any other good firefighting books (fiction or not)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I read "Report from Engine Co. 89" and thought it was great. I also like "3000 Degrees" by Sean Flynn. Those are the only two I have had time to read.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

3000 Degress is a great book I highly recommend it to anyone else. I just ordered Report from Engine Co. 82 on my libraries website.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Dennis Smith also wrote "Report from Ground Zero". I have not read it just yet, but it is on my short term list. I have read both Sean Flynn's 3000 Degrees, and "Report from engine company 82" (not 89), and they are excellent reads for everyone from the Juniors to the Chief.

If you do a search, and there are tons of threads listing good Fire-related literature here.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

A Dennis Smith book not mentioned so far is "Firefighters".
    Then there's "Strong of Heart" by Thomas Von Essen.
    "Firehouse" by David Halberstam.
    "Fire Lover" by Joseph Wambaugh.
    "Vertical Burn" by Earl Emerson.
    "Fire" by Sebastian Junger.
    "A Season of Fire" by Doug Gantenbein.
    If you want something non-fighter, read "American Terrorist".
    Reading is fundamental.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Report from Engine Co. 82 is good but it is an account of his early days as a firefighter; non-fiction. The Final Fire is good, Glitter & Ash is excellent as well as Steely Blue, both are hard to put down. I to have not read Report from Ground Zero even though I own it. Still too soon.

Thomas Von Esson's book is terrible. I hated every page of it, and I doubt much of what he says. I'm sure what I'm saying is very controversial but in light of recent events, I think that my opinion may be right.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

Report from Engine Co. 82 was one of the greatest firefighter books I have ever read. It grasped the reader and took him/her into a world full of real life experiences, as seen by one of FDNYs bravest. Do you know - these men truly WERE the bravest! They worked in the busiest fire area of New York City in the entire history of the fire department across a 3-4 year period. There were other areas, Harlem, Bedford Sty etc, but nothing like the South Bronx that looked literally like a world war two, ravaged city.

I had the pleasure of knowing and working with these firefighters. I recently bought a copy of the book on e-bay for $5.00 and in it there is a seal that says - GMH Library of Michael Hennessy .... he has also signed it G Michael Hennessy NYC 1978.

Anyone know this guy?!

Oh the South Bronx in the 1970s .... 'The late late show is on the television and most of us are sitting in the kitchen when the bells start to ring .... Box 2515 Intervale Avenue and Kelly Street' ....

Thumbs up

Dennis is the best, no doubt, and all of his books.

Then, there are a lot of others good books, and some not so good, you can find on Amazon.com and read the reviews.

The last I enjoyed was "Working Fire: The Making of an Accidental Fireman" by Zac Unger, close to Smith's style and more present-day.

Passing to fire fantasy stuff, have somebody read "Firefighter! : Daigo Of Fire Company M" by Masahito Soda? I love it!

ciao
    arseverse

MembersZone Subscriber

Anybody remember Steely Blue?

I liked Seely Blue alot. I also enjoyed books by Leo Stapleton ,at least I think that was the name, a Chief from Boston.

For a first hand look of being in the "Towers" when they came down , read "Last Man Down" by FDNY Battalion Chief Richard Picciotto.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anybody remember the book "Firehouse" that was authored by Dennis Smith and a photographer many years ago?

Yes I do. It was a pictorial of life in the FDNY.

Parrothead... Leo Stapleton was chief of department and Commisioner of the Boston Fire Department. I met the man in person and have a few autographed copies of his works. You have to read "Jakes".. you will literally **** your pants from laughing, as you will see that everyone has a character or two like the ones in the book!

www.dmcfirebooks.com has the complete listing of works by Stapleton, Don Whitney, Bill Noonan, the late Connie O'Brien, George Hall and others.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Capt. Gonzo - I met the man last year in Boston at the IAFF convention , just couldn't remember the name. thanks.

I just finished:

Report from Engine Co. 82-Dennis Smith

First In, Last Out: Leadership lessons from the FDNY- John Salka

Last Man Out- Richard Piccicato ( Personal story of FDNY Batt. Chief trapped in WTC collapse

Population 485- Micahel Perry (Volunteer Firefighting)

The Last Men Out- Tom Downey ( FDNY Rescue 2)

All excellent books i finsished them all in 5 days.

MembersZone Subscriber

Definitly read Report From Engine Company 82, Last Men Out..., 3000 Degrees and Report From Gound Zero. Your library should have most of the books in the same section. Also check through the police books, I've found some that were hidden in there.

Default Population 485

RFRDxp..........thanks for the tip on this finised it a couple days ago..........part of book sounds like here, horribly bad/sad ending. I never even saw it coming. And you dont look "cockeyed" to me ROFLMAO!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default THEN......

For all you REPORT FROM ENGINE COMPANY 82 fans: Here are photos of box 2743, back then......
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Default .......

......and NOW!!!!!! I don't recall where I downloaded these photos from, it may even have been off another thread here somewhere...Credit where credit is due.......
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information