Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet Band-Read Before You Complain

Yeah yeah yeah, people have asked questions about helmet bands. However I haven't found an answer to MY question. I do currently have a ban on my helmet. I wear a Cairns 1010. When I put a new shielf on the helmet, I moved the band under the plastic connection piece that mounts the shield to the helmet. Since then, I have noticed that my band often lifts off the helmet spilling my contents to the floor. Thankfully I haven't lost anything I keep up there, even though none of it adds up to a total of more than $6 or $7. My question is, does anyone have a way to keep the band secure on the helmet? Does anyone else have the same problem that I am having? It's getting to the point that I'm ready to take it off my helmet because anytime I want something out of the band the whole thing lifts up.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking 'Band' of Brothers

I hear you..

I had a 1010 (now use either a New Yorker or Ben II) and had the same issue with the band lifting up.

I simply got a small square of that commercial velcro (adhesive) and after peeling the backing off both sides placed it between the rubber band and the ribs of one of the rear panels. The compression of the band makes the adhesive stick really quite well. give it 12 hours, then you should find your chocks will stop bouncing off your shoulders in no time. (of course if your in deep and you see your banded gear take a dive, then seriously rethink your position )

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I never thought of that. My father is big into using velcro for a lot of things. He even got my a small thing of it when I came to school. I'll have to give it a try. It doesn't make the band too tight to fit a garrity lite and some chocks in there does it?
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope, just stops it riding up

I suppose you know that if it is a Cairns helmet and you attach a non-Cairns accessory, they will not honor their warranty on the helmet.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

former FH.com member

I guess that's a choice he's willing to make. I have a 1010 and use a band/garrity as well.

I opted for one of those solid-rubber bungee cords (not the multi-colored and fabric covered ones)... it's a short one that hooks from one faceshield mount, behind the helmet dome, to the other faceshield mount.

I think I read about it in FE a long time ago, and I've had no problems with it.

I've found that it's more useful because you can quickly take it off and use it to hold panic hardware on a door open, lash things together, etc. It's cheap, and easy to replace.

They're a little more durable too.
    Last edited by Resq14; 05-02-2005 at 02:58 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

never had a problem when i used my N6A, since I switched to a Cairns 1000 (and even my PC American Classic), I have had the same problem. Never though to use velcro, i'll be giving it a try tonight.

thanks Fawlty
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Screw it!

I don't think my department would be happy about me adding screws to my helmet.
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Forum Member

Wrap a peice of thin metal wire or a piece of a hanger around the back of the band and the other end around the d-loop. works great...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I dont carry the stuff on my lid like that .........I will do some checkin as some do have the set up you describe.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

I have the same problems with a bullard UST helmet, never thought of the velcro. I might have to give that a try.

Not quite sure if this is a stupid question...
    But what the heck are the golf tees for?
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Dont worry, just found out on the next thread i read
    Fuel tank leakages, etc...
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Talking

Golf tees! I know this one. You put a golf ball on top of them so you don't hit the ground when you swing.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Forum Member

Originally posted by MetalMedic
    I suppose you know that if it is a Cairns helmet and you attach a non-Cairns accessory, they will not honor their warranty on the helmet.
    Go ahead chicken little. Did you know that if you put non Globe gloves in the pocket of your turnout gear, they won't honor the warranty? Just out of curiosity, have you ever had them deny a warranty claim because of a big rubber band?

Not picking a fight but so you're telling me if your department purchases helmet shields and puts them on the helmet they can deny all claims as well? I know that my department is replacing helmet shields to help with our accountability on fire scenes. The new face shields have each firefighter's accountability number on them, and possibly their last name.
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

A helmet is certified at the time of it's manufacture with the equipment installed on it at that time. Replacing parts with the exact same parts from the manufacturer will not void a warranty. Replacing parts with different parts may void a warranty claim and may also make the helmet non-compliant.

A rubber band/strap will not void a warranty but gluing something to the helmet might, check with the manufacturer.

A face shield is supposed to be clear and free from any obstructions for visibility, why would you put numbers and letters on it?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

A face shield is supposed to be clear and free from any obstructions for visibility, why would you put numbers and letters on it?
    Bones---I think he was referring to helmet shields. The face part was an oops.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information