Forum Member

Default Another black eye for the fire service

Tyne & Wear Fire & Rescue Service fire chief Richard Bull will this week face a disciplinary panel over his caution by police for stealing door stops from a DIY store.

Mr Bull will face a special personnel committee of the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Authority on Wednesday over allegations that he stole items worth 4.60 from a store in Sunderland.

The meeting will take place in private, but it is understood that Mr Bull will be asked to explain the circumstances of his arrest at the B&Q store on Trimdon Road, Sunderland, in early April.

Mr Bull, received a police caution when he was stopped by B&Q staff as he was leaving the store.

After officers were called, Mr Bull was taken by uniformed officers to Gilbridge police station. The married father-of-two, who was recently made a CBE for 34 years of distinguished service with the fire service, was given a caution for theft and released later that day.

Mr Bull, who earns 130,000 a year, will face no further police action, but will have to attend the hearing to explain what happened.

A statement issued last week by the fire authority said: "Members of the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Authority agreed to hold a disciplinary hearing relating to the chief fire officer Mr Richard Bull.

"The outcome will be reported in due course."

Neither Mr Bull nor the Fire and Rescue Service have commented on the incident itself.

The disciplinary hearing will take place at the fire brigade's headquarters in Pilgrim Street, Newcastle, at 1.30pm on Wednesday.

Mr Bull is Chief Officer of the next service down from me. This will have caused great merriment amongst the workforce, where it has to be said, Mr Bull is not universally liked.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Martin, why in the world would a guy making that kind of salary steal hardware worth less than $15?!?!?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

There could be all kinds of reasons. Read "The Onion Field", the true story of an LAPD officer. He had such survivor's guilt he stole so he would be punished. It is a well documented case of what we now know as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Forum Member

Wow. Just seeing the place it happened brings up old memories. Back in Grade school, 6th or 7th grade, I had a pen pal I wrote to who lived in Tyne & Wear, England.
    I hope everything works out well for the department involved.

Forum Member

Hard to say why a man in such a high profile position as his would do such a thing. Apparently Chief Bull has stated that he "forgot" to pay for the items, but seeing as he accepted a police caution, which in order to receive, you have to admit your guilt, that seems a little hard to believe. As he has 34 years service, I think that he will retire quietly and let the whole thing blow over.

Forum Member

We'll, Mr Bull played the "stress card" and after offering his sincere apologies for embarrasing the fire service, kept his job as Chief Officer of the Tyne & Wear Fire & Rescue Service.

The Fire Authority accepted this as the cause of him stealing from the DIY store and have welcomed his decision to seek counselling for his "stress".

MembersZone Subscriber

Then I don't see how he can remain as the Chief Fire Officer for a UK Metropolitain Fire Brigade with a couple of thousand Personnel???

Funnily enough, he and I were interviewed on the radio following the UK Fire Service September 11th Memorial service back in 2001... they got our names mixed up and I ended up listening to 'Myself' with a Geordie Accent!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jaybird, this sort of thing happens more often that most of us realize. Around ten years ago I went to work at my state job and picked up a newspaper. What do I see on the front page? A story that the department head has been busted for shoplifting $300 in clothing (while driving a state car - nice touch if you ask me). This was a PhD earning 80-90 grand and she was married to a very successful businessman. Very, very well off.

She got convicted and lost her job 'cause the value of the items stolen made the felony threshold. At trial it came out that she'd been doing it for years but someone would come behind and make it right. Finally, this store got tired of it and prosecuted.

Maybe it is the rush of getting away with it, or maybe the rush comes from being bad when you've got to otherwise be good all the time but something makes these folks pull stupid stunts like this one. Then again, maybe they're just plain crazy.

Thread Information