Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation America's low point

A true American embarassment
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

How is this an "American Embaraasment"? I would agree it is a tremendous personal embarrasment for the soldier. But the system worked. It ID'd one of the offenders, it prosecuted her and the military justice system is going to punish her.

It seems to me that this is a shining example of the level of accountability that we hold our military. It is a level of accountability far, far higher than we hold most of our citizens (see OJ Simpson, Robert Blake, Ray Lewis and Michael Jackson).

Embarassment because when we try to preach to others about how proper treatment should be given to prisoners, we have these acts on our side that show the worst.

What is even worse about this is that no officers were charged, only the lowly enlisted people. So much for nobility of command.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    How is this an "American Embaraasment"? I would agree it is a tremendous personal embarrasment for the soldier. But the system worked. It ID'd one of the offenders, it prosecuted her and the military justice system is going to punish her.

It seems to me that this is a shining example of the level of accountability that we hold our military. It is a level of accountability far, far higher than we hold most of our citizens (see OJ Simpson, Robert Blake, Ray Lewis and Michael Jackson).
    If you can't see how she is an embarrassment, you have obviously not served this great Nation.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Thumbs up System worked

The system worked just like it was designed. For those who have not been in the military, I will say the the UCMJ is a very good system. The Article 32 investigation would have revealed any senior officers responsible.

As a side note, after active duty I commanded an Army Reserve Military Police Guard company. Our primary mission and the focus of our training was to both secure and protect POW's. I'm proud to say that my former unit was the one sent to Iroc to replace the unit with problems and sort out the mess.

We see plea bargains everyday in the civilian criminal justus system. Why would you expect less from the military? This young private committed a crime and she will pay the price.

Let's remember that 99.9% of our military are not committing crimes and are not facing court marshall.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Default Re: System worked

Originally posted by pete892
    The system worked just like it was designed. For those who have not been in the military, I will say the the UCMJ is a very good system. The Article 32 investigation would have revealed any senior officers responsible.

As a side note, after active duty I commanded an Army Reserve Military Police Guard company. Our primary mission and the focus of our training was to both secure and protect POW's. I'm proud to say that my former unit was the one sent to Iroc to replace the unit with problems and sort out the mess.

We see plea bargains everyday in the civilian criminal justus system. Why would you expect less from the military? This young private committed a crime and she will pay the price.

Let's remember that 99.9% of our military are not committing crimes and are not facing court marshall.

Pete
    The system is not the embarrassment, the ugly little female, and its friends are.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Did I say that she was not an embarrasment? No. But this is hardly a reflection of what is bad about the US military. A bad egg did something bad. She was caught, prosecuted, convicted and sentenced. There have been and will be others who perpetrate the same actions and will be dealt with similarly. But what it says is that the US Military is a proud, great and honorable institution. They are not afraid to deal with the few bad apples who slip in. There are millions of military members; active duty, Reserve, National Guard, etc. who do not act as England did. That is the face of the US Armed Forces, not her.

One does not have to be a veteran in order to very proud of the US Military.

Forum Member

Because Soldiers are ambassidors for the United States! How they behaive overseas reflect how people preceive the United States as a society. Might not be right, but if you are trying to sell a way of living (democracy)and the people trying to sell you this idea are not acting professional. Well the message tends to get lost!

Michael
    Last edited by mikeeps; 05-02-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Originally posted by mikeeps
    Because Soldiers are ambassidors for the United States! How they behaive overseas reflect how people preceive the United States as a society. Might not be right, but if you are trying to sell a way of living (democracy)and the people trying to sell you this idea are not acting professional. Well the message gets tends to get lost!

Michael
    Exactly, those scumbags embarrassed all the guys that are doing the right thing over there.
    -Big Russ

I need to get out more. Whats this all about???
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Default Re: Re: System worked

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    The system is not the embarrassment, the ugly little female, and its friends are.
    She is a one of the better looking ones out of West Virginia. She has all of her teeth!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

former FH.com member

What ****ed me off more than anything is that L.England and those other idiots gave the insurgents more fuel for their fire. Do you remember the outrage over there caused by this scandal? How many of our troops were injured/killed as a direct result of this? Even though we know it probably won't happen in return, we should make sure we treat our POWs in accordance to the Geneva Conventions.

Default Re: Re: Re: System worked

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

She is a one of the better looking ones out of West Virginia. She has all of her teeth!!!
    I could have gone without realizing that I had to share a state with this woman! Didn't realize she was from here. WV doesn't have that many disgraceful people...just when one is found it always goes public...

Just like COPS and the Jerry Springer Show...the West Virginians portrayed don't represent the masses.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Co11FireGal................... ........

Look on the bright side. One landslide and she would have been living in Maryland. On a positive note, I agree with you that There are too many out there who tend to stereotype everyone based on a tiny few who screw up. Where she's from isn't near as important as where she will end up.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Co11FireGal................... ........

Originally posted by hwoods
    Look on the bright side. One landslide and she would have been living in Maryland. On a positive note, I agree with you that There are too many out there who tend to stereotype everyone based on a tiny few who screw up. Where she's from isn't near as important as where she will end up.

Very true! It is not where a man begins, but where he finishes, that counts.

TF

Interesting, some posters are saying since she is/was a soldier that she has now embarrassed the entire military and makes them look bad. Then we have other posters saying just because she's from WV doesn't mean all WV'ians are bad. Definitely both sides of the spectrum in this little thread.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Originally posted by Dave1983
    I need to get out more. Whats this all about???
    yeah, me too. I click the link, and see a short military woman behind a tall blonde and brunette. for those of us not in the loop, can you summerize what this is all about?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default What's this all about?

Private Lynndie England, the short woman in many of the Abu Ghraib Iraqi prisoner abuse pics pleaded guilty yesterday.

This is sadder yet.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Question

What is "sad" about our President observing the customs of another culture?
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Thread Information