Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Don't spank your kids in Massachusetts

So I was reading the Boston Herald yesterday and saw this one.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=81009

PLYMOUTH, Mass. - A Plymouth father says he's surprised he was arrested this week for striking his 12-year-old son on the buttocks with a belt.

Forty-two-year-old Charles Enloe says he hit his boy lightly because he forgot his homework. He said he had no idea it would be considered assault with a deadly weapon.

He said he hopes the charge will be dropped.

Police said the spanking left no marks or bruises.

But they say they had to charge Enloe because a belt was used. Enloe was arrested Wednesday.

Enloe is divorced and does not live with his wife.

His son told police he called his mother when he forgot his homework a second time and feared another spanking.

The state was notified soon afterward. A DSS spokeswoman said the case is not considered an emergency. She said DSS would investigate.

I forgot to post the whole story yesterday so I am not going to pay to get the article. Basically he uses a belt on his son's butt three times and then his kid calls mom, she calls the cops, they arrest him after she takes out a restraining order. Now he has felony charges against him.

He should have just given him a time out.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Nice. And we all wonder why kids these days are undisciplined and show no respect.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

You know, back when spanking your child was legal and not considered "cruel" and "inhumane," kids didn't bring shotguns and assault rifles to school and blow away their classmates.

Forum Member

Take a good look at what is happening in England as to what alternative measures punishment is doing for youth. What a farse.

I completly agree with Dave1983 comment. They say that spanking leads to violent behavior.....hmmm not me, must have meant some one else. Only time im violent is in hockey ! No harm in a good spanking to keep the kids in line - I will agree there is a line between spanking and abuse! If you are leaving bruises or incapacitating a child yup - thats abuse.

Pretty simple in my eyes - dont know why head shrinks think they know what is best for kids?????
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've certainly spanked my son a few times, but hitting your kid for forgetting his homework? That's a bit over the top. I've driven my son back to school plenty of times to retrieve something he forgot. I sure never considered hitting him for it. People forget things all the time-the father needs to get a grip and lighten up.

If the son had shown disrespect, hurt someone, done something dangerous, disobeyed, lied, stolen, etc., I wouldn't have a problem with a spanking, but if I were that mom, I'd be pretty ticked off myself. I'm not saying I would've called the police-I don't know the history here-but I would not have been a happy camper.

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

I certainly earned a few beatings when I was young but my dad never resorted to the belt. When my brother and I were young and wouldn't go to sleep, he would hang it on the door at the end of the hall and always tell us "if I have come back down here, this is going to be used". It was a great threat and worked. I have two young girls that I have never hit. I really don't know if it would be different if I had boys. There are times that they push me to the point of wanting to hit them but I have not. I find that I yell more than anything.

I was in a restaurant last week and saw a woman hit her son. The kid was being a real pain in the rear and she warned him that if he opened his mouth again she was going to smack him. He continued and she gave him an open hand right across the mouth. I wanted to go shake her hand but thought that would too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is why I could not be a parent in todays society. I would be in jail for child abuse. I am a firm believer in spanking a child for certain behaviors. If I did not get my *** lit up once or twice a week from mom or dad I was not having fun. The worst part was having to go cut my own switch. If I talk to an adult the way some kids do these days I would not need a tooth brush that for sure. In no way do I condone abusing a child but discipline has to be there. Of course there are peolpe that believe spanking a child is abuse and they will not do it. Fine, just don't judge someone that does.

not for nothing, but I don't believe in physically disciplining anyone. then again, I don't have kids, so ask me again in 10 years, and that might change. but even then you'll never see me use a belt.

however, the problem (in this case) was not the spanking, but the use of a belt. spank your kids butt with an open hand, and it's legal discipline. use a belt, or any other item, and it can be considered abuse.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

My parents would have been lifers!

Originally posted by Fire2123
    You know, back when spanking your child was legal and not considered "cruel" and "inhumane," kids didn't bring shotguns and assault rifles to school and blow away their classmates.
    That is because the kids that did that sort of thing were allowed to drop out of school after 6th grade.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    So would the nuns I had for teachers at St. Theresa's, St.Peter's and Notre Dame!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Spare the rod, spoil the child.

I won't tolerate abuse. I will Spank. There is a difference. Using a belt is acceptable. Using a peach limb can be acceptable.(one that the child has to cut )Using a paddle can be acceptable.
    Disciplining while angry is not acceptable.
    Calm, rational, leveled- headed thought processes before discipline with result in proper outcome (usually). Lashing out in anger will reap negative benefits.

My father was the all time king of discipline. He was awsome in the fact that he would cool down, access the crap that we had done, then talk to me or my brother like it was an everyday conversation explain the consequenses then dole out nec. punishment.

I don't know all of the story, but if the father just spanked the child? No marks? all I can say is YGBSM!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Put my mom on that list. Was worst if I was bad at a neighbors house. Here we had neighborhood beatings. If I was at someone else house and deserved it I got it there. Just had to hope no one called my mom and told her I go it there. If they did I got it way worse at home.

My grandmother hit me once when I was a teenager. I mouthed off to her one time, and I deserved what I got.

She hit me one time. This is a woman who is all of 4 foot 10.

Never did it again.

Firm, steady discipline is needed to raise children from day one.

However nowadays, DSS is so freaking nutty you can't look at your child cross eyed without some bleeding heart calling them on you.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

New Hampshire looks better all the time.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by stm4710
    New Hampshire looks better all the time.
    The only state North of Virginia that I will move back to after school is done. You have to love a state whose license plate says "Live Free, or Die."

Explain to me again how New Hampshire can have all the same programs with no sales or income tax again?

Ought to be time for the New Hampshire State Fire exam in a month too. You ought to look into it.

I am! Besides, some one has to turn the state red again.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

are you suprised by anything done by a state where Ted Kennedy and John Kerry Heinz are continually returned to the Senate?

A paddle, a piece of hot wheels track, a yard stick, or a belt could be abusive, with a lot of licks

A few cracks? no JMO

Originally posted by pfd3501
    are you suprised by anything done by a state where Ted Kennedy and John Kerry Heinz are continually returned to the Senate?
    Nothing surprises me that comes out of Massachusetts anymore. In the entire state legislature there are about 8 Republicans. Absolutely no checks and balances since even if the Governor overrides a veto, they can almost always over rule it. No wonder the state is messed up.

A few years ago, the voters said they wanted the income tax reduced to 5% from the 5.95% that the politicians "temporarily" raised it to 10 years earlier. The legislature then voted to stop the graduated decrease after the second year, and now they are talking about raising it back to the higher rate.

Best part is, all the bleeding heart, flaming liberals said that people should have the option to pay the higher tax rate so they added the option to the state income tax form. Less than a thousand people took the option last time I heard. Blows my mind, just blows my freaking mind.

You know whats bad? The kids know that all they have to do is tell a teacher that mommy or daddy beat them and all hell breaks loose. I dont know how many times my kids said "you cant spank us or well tell on you". Didnt do them any good though
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information