MembersZone Subscriber

Default Traverse City Hiring

Has anyone applied for the Traverse City positions: 2 Fire Inspectors and 3 Firefighter/Medics. I understand they will be hiring and making a list. I am trying to decide if I should apply for the inspector position. I talked to a person at the city and they said it a 8 to 5 postion M-F, mostly performing inspections and reviewing plans. I having been trying to get on a department for a while now but don't know if this the way I want to do it. They also said the only time I might be needed is the event of something major going down. I wish I had my damn medic. Oh well I just needed somewhere to air my thoughts.

Forum Member

Not applying but I went to a seminar on their intern program.

They only require MFR for the inspector job and the medics are on ALS engines. They do not transport. I heard their physical test is hardest in the state.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a friend on the Traverse City Fire Department. He really likes it up there. I used to work with him at our ALS EMS service before he moved up there. They have a great department there. They have really nice quarters and nice equipment. He did tell me that the physical agility test is harder than most. I was planning on applying for the inspectors position. I have found most departments in michigan are mostly hiring paramedic/firefighters. But as ffexpcp stated they are requiring only MFR for the inspector positions. I believe they will call the inspectors in if they need them on a scene.
    Steve
    Lietuenant 107
    Morton Township Fire/Rescue
    "Good to Go"

MembersZone Subscriber

I have met several guys on the department through school and such. Everyone I have talked to has said the same about how nice it is. I love the town and would love to live there. My biggest concern is I want to be in the action. I want to be stretching a line and working the pipe and I don't know if this position will ever allow that. The medical portion I am not worried about, I am a basic so I am covered on that end. Maybe it is time to get that medic.

Forum Member

A full career of doing inspections and hearing all the line guys talk about the last fire they had -OR- buckle down for a year or so, get your medic, and be one of those line guys talking about that last fire.

I'd be surprised if they used those inspectors on the fireground more that once a year. Even then, I doubt they do anything morte than support ops.

Yup! Time to get your medic license!

Thread Information