Forum Member

Default Fire service training ideas?

There is a possibility that I may be assigned to our training division next year. I'm looking to see what other departments are doing with their CE training... This would be for a paid department and would be for vets only (I would not be a part of our rookie school).

As it is now, training morale is low... A lot of people feel like we're too focused on the real low probability incidents and not doing enough work on our basics. So I would try to shift our focus a bit. We also centralize most of our training. We take companies out of service to go downtown and usually sit and listen to someone read a powerpoint presentation to them. We could probably do just as well by posting the presentation on our network server and telling them to read it themselves.

Surely, there are departments out there doing something innovative. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Try hands om refresher training with tme standards, or evolutions that they don't perform often but are unique to structures in thier first due areas. Or maybe risk-benefit senerios. Firefighter down drills are a possibility. Just some ideas.

Forum Member

Those are all good ideas. Do you guys centralize your training or deliver it out to each station/district...or combo of both??

Forum Member

Would think that some of it could be centralized ... probably the classroom or overview sections, and then apply that to the unique situations in each company's first response area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb JMO

I would look to de-centralize it. There is little reason and justification to place companies out of service just to watch a P Point presentation. The guy could go house to house with portable materials and give the classes in that form.

Also every day the company should be holding at least one if not two drill periods during 24 hr. period. The company officers should be taking their members out into their first due areas and looking at new buildings being constructed and those being demolished. If there are ones being demolished the Co. officer should look to establish a relationship with the owner and see if some training of some sort can be worked out. Engine drills should be, hose stretching, setting up for foam operations, using the portable deluge gun...etc. The Truck could discuss search, ventilation, forcible entry, Maxi-Force air bags, ropes, Aerial placement/operations...etc.

This training would be more beneficial as the guys who are going to be working together at a fire get to practice together and can discuss probable actions at a building that might have a fire in it at some point.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information