Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default In-cab GPS from E-One

I was just clicking around on the E-One website and saw the E-One E-Logic. It's a built in GPS system that allows you to check the truck, find out what's wrong when its not functioning properly and a whole lot of other stuff. Thoughts? Comments? Has any one got to try it out? It sounds interesting.

http://www.e-one.com/elogic.asp

MembersZone Subscriber SkipJack270's Avatar

Can you imagine the trouble FF's would get into with it though? " Uh, yeah Chief, we're doing a very, very thorough inspection. Yes, I know we inspected the D&D yesterday, but something could have changed." On a serious note, I think that it is a great idea. When I worked for AAA last summer, we had GPS on all the vehicles, as well as a GPS enabled pager. This way, they could tell if we were not answering calls where we were and get help. Thinking on it, if they can put it on a truck, why can't they put GPS on an airpack and cut down on the time of a search for a downed FF?
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

A nice thought integrating 4 cameras into one screen. Placing them would be a different decision, I mean after the 2 sides and rear, where does the 4th one go? Last time I checked there's a windshield the driver can look through, so no need for facing front. I'd be worried about placing the ones on the sides of the truck, about the only spots that would help any would stand to get cleaned off by a tree branch, hoseline. The field of vision on those cameras demands that they be mounted with the lens at or beyond the surface protecting it, so it would have to stick out somewhat.

GPS is nice as well, but how many screens does it support? The driver doesn't need the GPS, the officer does, so that feature shouldn't be available on the driver's screen. I'm guessing that the mutiple controllers mentioned are the touch screens.

Dial-up modem is a nice thought, but considering that technology never quite got the bugs out of it, and most departments that would want such a feature because they're far from a service center, are probably well out of a decent signal area also. Wi-Fi would make more sense for urban/suburban areas. I'm sure that will be added at some point as an option

667mHz with a 20GB hard drive? On a Windows OS? Don't get me too wrong, I make my living singing and coding the praises of Microsoft, but I think we're taking things a little too far. It's a fire truck. Too many toys in one box, like a TV/DVD/VCR combo. One one goes, they all go. Is the hard drive for uploading department maps? Where is the computer installed if the touch screens are independent units? Does it shut down with the truck? When does it reboot (cause if it's Windows, it needs to reboot)? Updates? Replacement?

And knowing touch screens, are they out of their mind? Have they ever met a firefighter with the finesse to not break the screen?

Forum Member

I bet it's nice for mutual aid too, for when you don't know where a street is, they should make it so you have a smaller screen for the driver so he can see the map, and get a bigger screen for the officer and let the officer control everything.

For our department that would be great for mutual aid, we already cover 25 miles, and provide mutual aid for another...60 miles? No one will ever know every street. I wonder if it has something that shows locations of hydrants...that would be helpful.

I might be mistaken, but isn't there already software out there with street maps and hydrant locations? It may not be GPS enabled, but the officer should be able to follow along and figure out where you are vs. where you need to/want to go.
    you will not be burned;

Forum Member

yea theres software out there, forgot the name of it though...this just makes evrything easy b/c ts all in one

Looks pretty neat. Too bad it's on an E-None.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Looks pretty neat. Too bad it's on an E-None.
    You mean E-One, lol...they are number One!

Personally, I am satisfied with our E-One Rescue... but outside of that, that's a nifty feature.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

The newest generation MSA and Scott packs do have optional gps I believe. The MSA can also track your vitals.

Cool. It would make RIT a lot easier, and probably a lot less difficult for accountability.
    you will not be burned;

Forum Member

GPS on a SCBA??? Gee....if you're trapped inside a building don't ya think you'd have a hard time getting a clear shot to a satellite??? Maybe your thinking of the homing beacon type devise that Surprise Air came out with at FDIC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SkipJack270
    answering calls where we were and get help. Thinking on it, if they can put it on a truck, why can't they put GPS on an airpack and cut down on the time of a search for a downed FF?
    They already have this ability, in fact if you look at the computer screen that the program runs on. You can see the firemen moving around on the fire grounds too. It also tells you how much air they have in their bottles

Originally posted by shvfr4

You mean E-One, lol...they are number One!
    Guess you've never seen a Pierce or a Seagrave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

That sort of thing was available standard on a Ferrari F-50 a decade ago....
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Originally posted by BC79er
    GPS is nice as well, but how many screens does it support? The driver doesn't need the GPS, the officer does, so that feature shouldn't be available on the driver's screen. I'm guessing that the mutiple controllers mentioned are the touch screens.
    While I know that all drivers/chauffeurs should know there territory like the back of their hand, it is still them who have to navigate the apparatus to the destination. A heads up display with LIMITED info can be invaluable to the driver.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

True, but in this case it's mounted out of the field of vision of where the driver should be concentrating. A screen that size will require more than just a quick look. If it were zoomed in, it wouldn't give large enough of an area for the driver to see where he/she is and where he/she is supposed to go. And again, navigation is for the officer, not the driver. That's why the maps and MODATs are all on the officer's side. There's nothing the driver needs to see while driving other than the road and their surroundings, with the exception of the occasional glance at the gauges.

Thread Information