Forum Member

Default use of surplus fund

Anyone out there have any experience with spending surplus funds left over in the 2004 FG? I know the rules have been changed from previous years and that you can only spend up to $5000 excess funds on your original grant project(s) and/or on fire prevention. What about amounts over the $5000 and/or using all excess funds for fire prevention activities such as:
    computer hardware to convert VHS fire prevention tapes over to DVD, A generator for use to power a fire safety ed. trailer, overtime costs to provide public fire safety education, other materials for fire safety education?

Anybody have any experience getting anything similar to the above approved?

Thanks in advance for your input, Be Safe!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Overtime costs in all likelihood are out as the AFG doesn't cover any salary costs unless it's for volunteers attending training, and even then that's a hard sell.

You can use all of it for fire prevention, the $5000 limit on the original scope of the application was because people were over-bidding by a mile and then buying other stuff just because they could. Laptops, projectors, computers, copiers have all been approved as fire prevention items in the past. You have to make handouts somehow for the kids. Several departments hold classes at the station, so the projectors and laptops come in handy then.

I haven't heard of a generator by itself, usually they're included in the price of the safety house, but it's a needed item when there's no other power source available. I think it's a reasonable request myself.

The VHS to DVD conversion you might wanna double check copyright laws. Having been nearby some folks that did such a conversion with their home movies, the quality is a little lacking, and you'd better have a 3ghz processor, a huge hard drive, and a lot of time on your hands. It's cheaper and easier to just buy the DVDs. Besides, at least the clothing styles might be up to date that way.

Forum Member

I thought the Fire Prevention was limited to $5,000 also. And anything above and beyond had to be returned. So you could use $5,000 to expand your project, and $5,000 towards fire prevention, and the rest returned.

Guess I will go reread the guidelines.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

(1) Grantees may unilaterally use as much as $5,000 to continue or expand the activities for which they received the award. For example, if a grantee received an award for personal protective equipment, the grantee may use up to $5,000 of the excess funds to purchase more personal protective equipment without seeking our approval.

(2) Grantees may use excess funds to create or expand a fire prevention program. Grantees will need to seek and obtain approval from the AFG program office to use excess funds for this purpose. Excess funds in excess of $5,000 must be used for fire prevention or option number three (3) below.

(3) Grantees may return excess funds to the AFG program office. To exercise this option, a grantee must closeout their award and state in the final performance report that the remaining funds are not necessary for the fulfillment of the grant obligations. The grantee must also indicate that they understand the funds would be deobligated and unavailable for future expenses. The deobligation of the excess funds will affect the Federal portion of the grant and the amount of the grantee’s match.

Funds in excess of $5K must be used for fire prevention or returned, but there is no limit on the amount of funds for fire prevention. You still need approval for doing something, but the general guess is that very few will have much over $5K left over. I haven't found anyone over $10K lately, most everyone is bidding the stuff pretty closely.

Forum Member

Excess funds in excess of $5,000 must be used for fire prevention
    Yeah, that is the part I was remembering incorrectly. Good news though, as it looks like our grant for 2004 will come in under the awarded dollar amount.

Thanks for clearing that up BC79er.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No problem. I keep getting discombooberated myself. Which is why I have to read and re-read the guidance stuff. Too many things to remember, so few brain cells willing to work without coffee.

Forum Member

How would the excess funds work if you applied and were awarded in two areas, say PPE and Equipment, could you spend up to $5000 extra in each category your were awarded?

Bruce

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I can say that you may only spend $5,000 total of the excess unless it's for fire prevention. I tried. It didn't work.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

PPE and Equipment are under the same AFG Category, FF Ops & Safety, that's why you can't go past the $5000.

Forum Member

Default Our excess funds

We got a 2004 grant for airpacks. After buying everything we had about 20K left over. I asked for $1000 for extra bottles, and were giving to us for "free" (I know nothing is free).

We spent 5K on fill station and part of a compressor. I didn't ask permission, I just went ahead and did it. I just got approval for our amendment for the other 14K. We are buying a Sparky's hazard house, laptop, projector, camcorder, fire prevention materials for our direct mailing this year, and coloring books and fire hats for the station.

Hope this helps. I took a little over a week for the amendment to come back, not too bad.

Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Confused

So me let me see if I got this right. We got awarded SCBA,PPE,Extrication,TIC,RIT,and Training. We have about 1070.00 left over from what we requested for SCBA's, about 360.00 from what we requested for Extrication. So we have roughly 1400.00 left over. What I'm asking is what can I spend that on. Does the 1070.00 left over from SCBA have to be spent on SCBA stuff or can it be combined with the 360.00 and spent on maybe cribbing or new flashlights for each set of PPE or extrication gloves for everyone? Hope my question makes sense. Thanks for everyones help!!!!
    Matt Griffin
    Chief
    Eastern Chilton County Division of Fire, Rescue, and EMS, Station 91.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

You can spend the 1400 on almost any equipment, probably without permission, but it might be best to put in for an amendment and tell them what you want to buy. Don't forget to spend your 10%, too, so your total project cost will be more than 1400, probably closer to 1550 or so.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, you can spend it on anything within the same category of Ops & Safety. Actually even if you got a truck you could spend excess funds on stuff to put on the truck, a TIC, or practically anything else that was an eligible project to apply for in the first place. Except another truck of course. Trailer most likely, maybe even a tow vehicle but I think that would be stretching things.

Either way I'd just give them a heads up to make sure they crunch the numbers so that you know you've spent enough of your own money to make things kosher. And so they know you're buying the other stuff. They don't say no to too many requests.

Thread Information