Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nims

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nims

Wasn't sure does NIMS set forward standard names or Radio designations for Apparatus?
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

Permanently Removed AsstEngineer292's Avatar
    Last edited by AsstEngineer292; 05-04-2005 at 08:17 AM.

No.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

To bring this up some more is there any agency and I know the federal government has somthing similar that types the apparatus. Lets say you call a vehicle a type 2 squad. This could mean that it is a light rescue with multiple functions. Anything like this been done or is being worked on. If you say no, say why you know this isnt happening.

Exclamation

That is up the department to do. You want them to do everything for ya?? You have to think out of the box.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

No thats the problem. Too many people are thinking out of the box. With federal systems they have a way of clasifying different types of vehicles by numbers and names. For example lets say you want a type 2 dozer you know your not going to get a heavy dozer but your going to get a tiny one either. Names are good on a regular basis but when the incident gets big you want to know if you call for a ladder truck you will know whether it has a pump or not. A 75' ladder or not. With a number system you would know what you are getting and you would be able to ask for the right piece instead of I want a 75' ladder with a pump. Just try to make since of what I am proposing here. The givernment doesnt need to do everything there just needs to be an easier way to organize units once the big incident happens and you have to call in trucks from outside of you normal mutual aid district. Isnt easier when everyone reads from the same sheet of music.

My county setup a numbering system for all apparatus. Individual departments then took it upon themselves to not follow the county guidelines. I can't even fathom trying to do something nationwide. Some things I just don't see as reasonable and/or possible.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I am not talking about replacing your current apparatus number designations but giving them a type like they do for wild fires. As I said before when the **** hits the fan and a chief is calling units in from unusual places he can look at his universal book and tell fire control or whoever I need a type 3 ladder truck and the specs on these might be all type 3 ladder trucks are 100' buckets with a pump. You still have you regular apparatus number such a tp6 or whatever it just aids in giving everyone the same sheet of musice when requesting a type of apparatus. I am not implying this needs to be used for regular fires but when you are calling for special pieces outside of your normal district this could really help with logistics sector and operations sector.

MembersZone Subscriber sdff1520's Avatar

Check the NIMS Intergration center. There is a national resource typing document (45mb pdf 252 pages). The project is ongoing. Actually the concept has been around forever, just not applied to much other than large scale wildland incidents and resources. Its a super idea and works great. When our department is requested for a large scale wildland incident (outside our jurisdiction and possibly outside our state) they call and ask for a Type X apparatus. The department has to know what a type X is, so you can send the appropriate resource. If the IC is ordering Type 1 structual engines imagine the suprise if we show up with a Type 6 brush truck? Same principal applies to any emergency response, not just wildland - be it a natural disaster, terrorist, structural, haz at, etc... Call your trucks what you want when in your own jurisdiction (we don't call our wildland engines NWCG Type 6 when working amongst ourselves...they are simply brush trucks), but be aware that there are typing definitions out there so that should you need to request resources, or are asked to provide resources, you can ask for and provide the appropriate hardware.

Check out the following links
    [url]http://www.fema.gov/txt/nims/nims_resourcetyping_initiative .txt[url]
    http://www.fema.gov/nims/mutual_aid.shtm
    Last edited by sdff1520; 05-04-2005 at 02:45 PM.

Thread Information