Thread: Worse Call

Post Worse Call

What's the worse call that you have ever been on?

Permanently Removed

Well there's beena few DOA's I've been on.

Mid summer 2002.

Reported 2 car head on accident. My station (292) along with Stations 291,Engine 431, EMS Stations 188,187,186 and Cpunty Med Unit Care 32.

Chief 2920 arrived on location to confirm a 2 car head on collison. Engine 2923(1982 GMC) responded with 4 certified, along with myself being an explorer at that time. At this time we didn't have any rescue tools, Station 184s Rescue 1841 did they were dispatched. We arrived on location and before that 2920 called Central Comm. that Rescue Extrication was needed. Central Comm. dispatched Station 184s Engine 184 which had rescue tools. We arrived(2923) as 2920 had traffic stopped, we could do NOTHING. the 2 kids bleed to death from rolling 5 times after hitting 4 trees. The 32rd kid made it out with head trauma. As Rescue 1841 arrived they cut out the other 2 but hence, they were dead.

Forum Member

Suicides and Attempted Suicides...Always a bugger...Basically anything where someone dies
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Worst call would have to be my first MVA with a DOA.

Had some really bad accidents too.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

As much as the other Juniors are talking, many times you won't see the "crusty" guys bring this subject up.

It's sort of an emotional issue for many. When you lose that first patient, or when the guys can't make the rescue, it's a very trying time for many, and often it doesn't get brought up.

Disillusioned Subscriber

I'm not bashing anyone here, but only making an statement to those that would ask this type of question.

Rest assured, providing you stick around long enough, there will come a time in your career that you will wish from your very core that you could forget those types of calls rather than answer questions about them.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Definetly agree with Res343cue. I've never been directly in the rescue or care of a victim where it was a loss, I know it might happen one day.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Tanker vs. SUV head on resulting in an explosion of the tanker...100's of gallons of fuel...you can guess the rest

Forum Member

I was clicking around on one of our neighboring companies websites and actually found some pics from the crash stated from above...they are pretty amazing.

http://www.newtownhookandladder.com/ttt0903.htm

Forum Member

Here's a working link to that.

CLICK ME!

Forum Member

lol...woops!

thanks Res343cue!

Forum Member

Peds trauma and a AAA
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll share though I'd rather forget but maybe someone learns somethin.
    4 car mva+fire. We had our hands full,lots of injuries but we got the fire out quick. I'm takin the windshield of a stationwagon and directly behind me they are takin the roof of a sedan. I"m done with the windshield and others start takin the roof so I move over to the sedan and there sits my neighbor. I say how we doin Danny,we'll have you out of there in no time. He takes my hand and says he's having trouble breathin,just then his eyes roll up in his head and he dies. Me and the medic pull him straight up and over the trunk. We get him on the ground and start doin cpr and the blood is pumpin from his mouth. Medic says blown aorta or somthin and puts a towel over Dans face. We move on to other victims cause they need us more than Dan. Not easy, I know his wife and kids. Gotta keep workin though. I could have got counciling but I seem to be able to deal with it. If I needed help though I wouldn't hesitate! More people will need my skills another day so I gotta stay healthy.

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Ive only been to a few 'real fires' because of that i live in vermont.... but we had a huge 20 station grass fire its the best ive seen so far =)

Forum Member

Originally posted by NBFDJUNIOR
    Ive only been to a few 'real fires' because of that i live in vermont.... but we had a huge 20 station grass fire its the best ive seen so far =)
    Where in Vermont?

20 station grass fire? When was this?

Default my subject

why?

Forum Member

Curious.

I'm in Central Vermont, Montpelier area.

and you are a junior fire?

Forum Member

Junior Firefighter / Emergency Care Attendant

im in the south west, how many fire calls do you guys get.... we go alot to newyork and and arlington vermont and up

Forum Member

Get ahold of me via AIM. SN = KoledoVision

ok i guess =\

Forum Member

Actually, you disabled the email feature. I edited my above post. If you have AIM, messsage " KoledoVision ". Got some events coming up that other juniors down in your area might be interested in.

email taz893@hotmail.com thats my spare ill email u back

Forum Member

I'm with steamer and res343cue(sp?)on keeping mum about"worst calls".
    I'm relatively new to the fire service,two years on a volunteer dept,and I've seen enough that I don't want to answer questions like that.We talk about them during training to the extent that HIPPA allows but we keep the heavy stuff to ourselves.
    For example,I don't want to know what it's like to go searching for someone trapped inside and to fail.I am quite sure that I will know soon enough and won't want to have that knowledge.
    I have a book by a Viet Nam SEAL where he say"Don't ask me questions like that.I'll do my best to make sure that you don't like the answer.".I haven;t been asked by someone who won't be put off but I intend to use that line on them if it happens.
    If asked at the grade schools,I tell them that that's not a good question and try to give the high sign to someone senior to start the "Stop,Drop and Roll"skit.

Thread Information