Thread: SCBA Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Question

Our Dept. has recently upgraded SCBA from (Scott) 2.2's to 4.5's. However, we did not purchase spare 4.5's. So, we are left with our 2216 psi cylinders for replacements.
    Without being too lengthy, I am looking for other opinions as to why this would be an unsafe/unwise practice. In essence, a 2216 psi cylinder used with our 4.5 air-pacs gives us a ten minute work time (the low air alarm will go off at 1000 psi). We will not train or ask our FF's to ignore their low air alarm. To me, a ten minute cylinder is unacceptable on the fireground. There are other issues as well.....I'm looking for "amunition" for my argument not to do this.

Thanks,

GPowell

Forum Member

Exclamation

??

Why don't you do a search, using the search feature to the left of this page?

This has been posted several times before and has been talked over and over.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Can we say O S H A ?????? Yes they will thread up and work but anyone attempting this should read osha1910.134

Forum Member

I think your reasoning is enough!

Forum Member

Oh, and btw CaptOldTimer, I did a search for this topic and found nothing that referred to using 2.2's in 4.5 packs. So wouldn't it be more helpful to just give some advice on the subject?

MembersZone Subscriber

Lt.387

I'm very familiar with the Respiratory Standard. Can you tell me where in 1910.134 there is anything that addresses my question?

Also, Thanks WebFire.....my thoughts exactly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Lieutenant387
    Can we say O S H A ??????
    More like NIOSH.

Certification is made with specific cylinders only. Using a 2216psi cylinder with the 4.5 would more than likely void the NIOSH approval.

Then OSHA's Respiratory Protection standard would come in to play because it says that the "employer shall select ... a full facepiece pressure demand SCBA certified by NIOSH..."
    Last edited by jpsmith2; 05-05-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Forum Member

Oh, and btw CaptOldTimer, I did a search for this topic and found nothing that referred to using 2.2's in 4.5 packs. So wouldn't it be more helpful to just give some advice on the subject?
    No, like so many other people on these boards lately, it's much easier to harass people that ask questions.

Forum Member

Actually, I believe NIOSH allows a low pressure bottle to be used on a high pressure pack for emergency use. So, when all your high pressure bottles are empty and you need another bottle, using the low pressure would be Ok. Not recommended, but Ok in an emergency.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Exclamation

Originally posted by WebFire

I merely suggested to the new poster that they do a search on the topic.

Yes I could have went into a lengthy reply on why OSHA & NIOSH would not look at this in the correct light and come down on the department hard.

It is so easy for a new posted to get on these forums and ask something, that in all probability they already know the answer or could have went to the supplier that sold them the SCBAs or other equipment or the manufacturer of these units for the answer.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Originally posted by firepics

No, like so many other people on these boards lately, it's much easier to harass people that ask questions.

My suggestion is that if come in here and ask a question and an older member gives you a suggestion or "advice" as you put it, take it as it is. Those that are quick to side with the junior member, these older guys have been around for a long time. That have heard about every question in these forums and like in the fire station when asked something by a new guy, they tend to tell them to look it up.

In any case my suggestion would be to check with OSHA and NIOSH regulations and with the maker of these SCBA's to get the real story. It seens that it is so easy to get your self a new member account and come in posting POLLS and other questions that you already knew the answer but whated the others to see that you are a smart guy asking questions. That is called SHARPSHOOTING!!

It reminds my of a laywer in court, They only asks a question that they already know the answer.

Have a good day...

Purchase 4.5 cylinders. All it takes is one incident and you'll regret ever cheating yourself of air. Call your distributor to try and get your hands on used 4.5 cylinders that are within hydro.

Thread Information