Forum Member

Default Patrolman suspended over loan........what do you think?

Topsfield: Patrolman suspended over loan

By Jill Harmacinski
    Staff writer

TOPSFIELD A Topsfield police officer was suspended for two weeks without pay for accepting a $24,200 loan while he was on duty and in uniform.

Patrolman Jack Hayward, a 17-year veteran of the department, was suspended for conduct unbecoming of an officer and improper solicitation of a loan, according to a statement released by police Chief Daniel O'Shea. Like most police departments, Topsfield bars officers from soliciting loans or accepting gifts unless authorized by the chief.

Today marks the end of Hayward's suspension, which was handed down in late March. The two-week sanction follows an investigation by O'Shea into a business venture involving Hayward and Vasil "Billy" Qirici, the owner of the Day Break Cafe at 30 Main St., according to a copy of an agreement reached between the town and Hayward.

Qirici loaned Hayward $24,200 in April and May of 2004, and the two men talked about opening a jewelry store on the North Shore, said Michael Smerczynski, Hayward's attorney. Hayward collected the loans from Qirici while visiting the cafe in uniform on coffee breaks.

Qirici later changed his mind and asked for his money back, but Hayward did not return the money until the police chief began investigating the matter. On one occasion, Hayward told Qirici he sent him a check via certified mail, but the check got lost. Another time, Hayward told Qirici he had "brought the wrong suitcase" to work in the police cruiser.

In January, still without the money, Qirici went to police and filed a complaint.

"I felt like I was being lied to, and that's why I told the chief," Qirici said yesterday.

Hayward returned all of the money to Qirici in January after O'Shea launched an investigation, Smerczynski said.

Qirici, an Albanian immigrant who came to the United States 14 years ago, said he never felt pressured to turn money over to Hayward. But he said he was frustrated when he couldn't get his money back.

"I never doubted I was going to get the money," he said. "He just kept putting me off, saying, 'Today, no, tomorrow.'"

According to Topsfield Police regulations, officers are not allowed to accept gifts or loans "where there is any direct or indirect connection between the solicitation and their departmental membership or employment, except as may be specifically authorized by the chief."

During a disciplinary hearing, Hayward acknowledged that his conduct, "objectively viewed, would project an appearance of impropriety," according to town documents.

On March 21, O'Shea informed the Board of Selectmen of Hayward's suspension.

"It is imperative that any police department strive to maintain the public trust," O'Shea wrote. "Although these loans were subsequently paid back to Mr. Qirici, it does not negate the impropriety of the behavior."

O'Shea could not be reached for comment. Selectmen Chairman James Rogal declined to comment on the suspension.

A 17-year veteran, Hayward, 48, is the department's firearms training officer and a sexual assault investigator. He also recently qualified for motorcycle duty.

Smerczynski, a friend of Hayward's since childhood, said the patrolman wants to put the incident behind him.

"Jack Hayward bears no ill will to anyone over this incident," he said. "He absolutely loves his job and the community he works in. He wants to make amends with everyone involved and get back to the job he loves."

When asked if he and Hayward still speak, Qirici said, "I don't feel comfortable saying anything."

"I got the money back," he said.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Unlike many officers, he accepted responsibility for his actions and was punished accordingly. He appears to be an exemplary officer who made a gross error in judgement. This will not only affect his pocketbook now, it will undoubtedly be held against him in future promotion proceedings.

This was not a bribe, it was not a shakedown and it was not extortion. He didn't get it because he was an officer. Private loans for business purposes are made every day. There is no criminal activity. He made a mistake, admitted it, took his medicine.

Game set, match.

That said, why in God's name would you post another cop-bashing thread? Just another salvo from the anti-cop crowd.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Unlike many officers, he accepted responsibility for his actions and was punished accordingly. He appears to be an exemplary officer who made a gross error in judgement. This will not only affect his pocketbook now, it will undoubtedly be held against him in future promotion proceedings.

This was not a bribe, it was not a shakedown and it was not extortion. He didn't get it because he was an officer. Private loans for business purposes are made every day. There is no criminal activity. He made a mistake, admitted it, took his medicine.

Game set, match.

That said, why in God's name would you post another cop-bashing thread? Just another salvo from the anti-cop crowd.
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Me anti LEO??? I am a LEO!!!

Just posted a cautionary tale to those that conduct other business activitys on duty. You dont know who is watching.

And I know Jack too...

Forum Member

Where is the original article? Last discussion I got into over something on Masscops turned out to be totally made up.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by stm4710

Just posted a cautionary tale to those that conduct other business activitys on duty. You dont know who is watching.

And I know Jack too...
    Security guard at WalMart does not qualify you as a LEO.

Virtually everything you post is made up or false. The only reason this got posted was to start an argument.

MembersZone Subscriber

It would appear that the transaction had nothing to do with him being a cop. And when the guy renegged on the loan , he merely went to his boss to reoport the problem.

About the only mistake in my eyes here is: maybe he could have waited till he was off to pick up the money, and show up without his uniform.

Originally posted by stm4710

stm4710, time to show George your insert foot into mouth picture.
    Caffeine is the key to motivation!

Forum Member

Virtually everything you post is made up or false. The only reason this got posted was to start an argument.
    Uh huh...wrong on both accounts.

Forum Member

Sorry George, but I don't think so.

STM isn't some Wal Mart security guard.

You may not like Wal Mart security guards, and they may not be LEOs, but no picking on STM just because he's "Vertically Challenged"

Made up or false? Most of what I've seen STM post was printed in a newspaper. How is he making this stuff up?

How do you know his motives? stm4710 has posted many controversial threads, including some that put firefighters in a negative light. For example : http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=69677
    But,I don't think this makes him anti-firefighter or looking for an arguement.

MembersZone Subscriber

You honestly don't pay much attention here, do you?

I personally couldn't care less if he is an LEO or not. It showed extremely poor judgement to post that post on a fire fighter's thread. He claims to know this guy. He probably does. I am certain that the officer is extremely happy that this bozo posted his story on an international website instead of just letting it go away in the local papers.

Forum Member

this is that actual link to the story.

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/sn...+fn-topsuspend
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Thanks reserve172!
    343, vertically challanged :P ....LOL you just want my track car.

I am not anti cop, I am not anti firefighter.

Something like this happend back like 6-7 years ago in the town my grandparents live in, a firefighter had a small deck business on the side. I guess a customer came into the station to the pay the guy and someone getting a permit or something saw money changeing hands and made a stink .

It was sad, he did no wrong it just was taken out of context by small town politics, much like this. It just a caution to those that have side business (like me) that you should look at who is watching what your doing when your on duty.
    Last edited by stm4710; 05-05-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Forum Member

343, vertically challanged :P ....LOL you just want my track car.
    No, that's not it.

I have a GP38 that I can ride on any day they're going through.

Although, tell me STM, since you're "vertically challenged", were they able to shorten the roof on yours for the extra clearance?

MembersZone Subscriber

George, you need to chill out. Your complaints about people being anti LEO are getting old. Not everyone hates cops! Stop being so naive.

I guess every time that someone posts something negative about firefighting that they are anti FF. If I recall, you have once accused me of being anti LEO, which is the farthest from the truth since I may plan on being a fire marshall in the future.

It showed extremely poor judgement to post that post on a fire fighter's thread.
    If that's the case, then most of the stuff posted in the OFF DUTY section shouldn't be here either. That "It has nothing to do with firefighting so don't post it on a firefighter website" crap is played out. That's what this section of the forums is for.

And for the record, I think the cop should be taking care of business like that on his personal time, not while working. He's supposed to be protecting the public, not borrowing money. That showed extremely poor judgement in my opinion.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

George, you need to chill out. Your complaints about people being anti LEO are getting old. Not everyone hates cops! Stop being so naive.
    Oh. Too bad. Put me on Ignore if you don't want to read my stuff.
    If I recall, you have once accused me of being anti LEO, which is the farthest from the truth since I may plan on being a fire marshall in the future.
    Then you have a lot to learn.
    If that's the case, then most of the stuff posted in the OFF DUTY section shouldn't be here either. That "It has nothing to do with firefighting so don't post it on a firefighter website" crap is played out. That's what this section of the forums is for.
    You need to go back and see what this comment was in reference to instead of taking it out of context to support your seat up there on your high horse.
    And for the record, I think the cop should be taking care of business like that on his personal time, not while working. He's supposed to be protecting the public, not borrowing money. That showed extremely poor judgement in my opinion.
    I think that if you were paying attention, you would find that I, and others, said that very thing.

Very nice, George. Keep it up and pretty soon you'll be on so many "ignore lists" that you'll be talking to yourself!

With this attitude, you don't post stuff for us to read. What you do is called harassment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RESERVE172

Very nice, George. Keep it up and pretty soon you'll be on so many "ignore lists" that you'll be talking to yourself!

With this attitude, you don't post stuff for us to read. What you do is called harassment.
    Why haven't I made yours yet?

Why haven't I made yours yet?
    I'm gathering evidence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RESERVE172

I'm gathering evidence.
    Go for it.

Forum Member

you know, if enough people ignore George, he will probably get tired of coming here, and go back into retirement and harrass his wife and kids instead.

like an annoying little brother, or a big bully, just ignore him and he will go away on his own.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Nosir, I'll just report you to the webteam.

Then you have a lot to learn.
    You think?

I am certain that the officer is extremely happy that this bozo posted his story on an international website instead of just letting it go away in the local papers.
    Inappropriate and uncalled for.

I think that if you were paying attention, you would find that I, and others, said that very thing.
    Duh.

It showed extremely poor judgement to post that post on a fire fighter's thread.
    You need to go back and see what this comment was in reference to instead of taking it out of context to support your seat up there on your high horse.
    Say whay you mean and mean what you say. On the contrary, YOU need to get off of YOUR high horse.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Firefighter1219

Nosir, I'll just report you to the webteam.

You think?

Inappropriate and uncalled for.

Duh.

Say whay you mean and mean what you say. On the contrary, YOU need to get off of YOUR high horse.
    Give it your best shot.

Thread Information