MembersZone Subscriber

Angry When enough is enough

I would like to say that the good old boys system is alive and well in my fire department. Our current fire chief hhas only basic entry level training and has been a member exactly six years now. Our fire department elects the fire chief based on a popularity contest and the fire chief appoints all the officers.

I am totally upset with this maddness as the chief has appointed all his beer drinking and fishing buddies as officers. Our department is a paid on call department and the officers receive a steipend for holding these postions on top of the calls.

I currently have more training and exeperencie than the fire chief and the asst chiefs combined and when I make a suggestion about training or operations I am told to stick it up my a@@. I have been in the fire service for 17 years and I have a associate degree in fire science. I also instruct fire,EMS and rescue classes around the state and this is the way I am treated??

Recently our fire department had a huge celebration for our departments 40th anniversary. This event was coordinated by my wife,myself and another firefighter. We spent countless hours working on the plans and at the event.

Our idiot fire chief during the celebration got up and thanked all his officers and did'nt even mention the commitee or anyone else that worked that did all the planning.

I would love to see a fire commision formed by our community that would have the authority to hire and fire the fire chief and the officers. I think the days of have a elected fire chief is gone as you can see our fire department lacks any real leadership.

There have been serveal large calls where none of these so called officers were there. And these calls seem to run the smoothest as the senior qualified firefighters take command and call the shots. And the shots they call and make is based on knowledge not popularlity or if they are beer drinking fishing buddies.

After this recent incident it was decided by many of our fire departments 28 members that if the current chief remains we will turn our equipment in as we have had it!!

Does anyone have any suggestions

Forum Member

If it is a popularity contest to be chief, and you want to be chief or an officer, it is quite simple, be friendly and not condescending with all of your fire knowledge. Or go through the system and try and change it to provide stringent requirements to be eligible for chief and officer positions. Or quit.

Despite what Ms. Carbtree, the fifth grade teacher said, real life continues to be a popularity contest, the friendlier personality wins most of the time, that is much better then the jerks and bullies of the world winning.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

All you have to do is find 15 FF's that think like you and elect someone qualified when elections come up. But Dennis is right about what to do until then. Learn to work the system.

Forum Member

I know just how you feel...our chief doesnt have a clue on how to run a dept and he keeps getting elected...because of his buddys....the Asst. chief wont take the chiefs postition because he was told by a lawyer that if he is chief and someone gets hurt he can be held liable and could lose his business...plus he doesnt have a clue either...they think the only training they need is the 36 hr cert that they got years ago..our surounding depts dont even like running with us because our officers are unsafe....they have no command training and it shows on our runs....just this past weekend we had an auto accident and called for mutual aid for a medic unit..when they arrived on scene they advised our "command" there were people walking all around the scene and there were power lines down and a car had parked on top of them and they were live lines....that after our guys had been there for some time....it sucks ...i'm ready to give it up after twenty years.....

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

auburndalefd...

Let's see, you identified your fire department, you made it painfully clear who you are, and then you went on to decimate both your fire department and it's officers in front of a national forum. Brilliant.

How in the hell did you figure this was going to help your situation? Do you think you are the only one in your department or the neighboring departments with the internet? How long do you think it is going to be before your chief and his officers know about your tirade on here?

There is so much more I could say but what is the point? I have the feeling that you quit reading after my first sentence.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FyredUp
    auburndalefd...

Let's see, you identified your fire department, you made it painfully clear who you are, and then you went on to decimate both your fire department and it's officers in front of a national forum. Brilliant.

How in the hell did you figure this was going to help your situation? Do you think you are the only one in your department or the neighboring departments with the internet? How long do you think it is going to be before your chief and his officers know about your tirade on here?

There is so much more I could say but what is the point? I have the feeling that you quit reading after my first sentence.

FyredUp
    Gotta echo the point made by fyredup. (Will the rest of the brothers excuse me while I use some cheesehead dialect).....CRIPES SAKES..The last thing you wanna do is hang out yer dirty laundry for the entire nation to see, especially when there are a ton of us from Wisconsin here on the board... I'm pretty sure there are a couple of peeps on the board from Marshfield, Stevens Point and I think I even remember one from Junction City (all within shouting distance of auburndale)....Better hope that they're not drinking buddies with your chief or you probably won't need to worry about quitting cuz it'll be done for you. Are there better ways to deal with a situation like that (more sconnie speak here ) YOU BETCHA, There are diplomatic ways to handle things situations like that, including learning how to work the system, among others, but hangin the wanger out for the world to see, with a nick where everyone knows where your from ain't gonna get er done.

By the way...Go Pack!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well....although I can appreciate your situation, it's a good thing that you included your qualifications. You might need them to get on another department if your Chief reads your post.

Learn to work the system to your advantage. You may not like it, it may take time and you may not always get what you want. But that's how things have to go sometimes. I wish you luck.

Forum Member

If you don't like the way the game is played, change the game or quit.Pick up your toys and go home attitude only hurts the department morale and the citizens.The old saying is true YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM OR PART OF THE SOLUTOION. Quit your complaining and talk to those that have the power.

Forum Member

Have you tried a pacifier?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information