Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default How not to start a new life?

GEORGETOWN, Texas (AP) - A woman pleaded guilty to helping her husband fake his own death by digging up a corpse from a cemetery and then staging a fiery car accident in which the body was burned beyond recognition.

Molly Daniels pleaded guilty Tuesday to insurance fraud and hindering apprehension. A jury will decide her punishment this week. She faces probation to 20 years in prison.

Her husband, Clayton Wayne Daniels, is jailed pending trial on arson charges.

According to allegations in court records, Clayton Daniels dug up a body from a graveyard, placed it in his car and set the car on fire last June, burning the body beyond recognition. Prosecutors said a few weeks later, his wife introduced her 4-year-old son to her new boyfriend, Jake Gregg - actually Daniels with his hair dyed black.

Authorities believe the body found in the wreck belonged to Charlotte Davis, an 81-year-old woman who died in 2003. Investigators said Molly Daniels had told them her husband had exhumed a body from a cemetery. When they went to the cemetery, they discovered a grave, that of Davis, had been disturbed and then found there was no body in the coffin.

In court, investigators said the June 18 wreck, in which the green Chevrolet was found scorched and at the bottom of a cliff, had seemed fishy from the start.

There were no skid marks on the road, they said, and an investigator found that the fire started in the driver's seat and was helped along by charcoal lighter fluid.

Texas Ranger Garth Davis also testified that when he interviewed Molly Daniels about the crash, she was surprisingly calm. Davis took a DNA sample from the charred body and from Clayton Daniels' mother and found the body was not Daniels'.

Davis said searches of the couple's home and Molly Daniels' work computer also revealed a complicated scheme to create a new identity for Daniels, including fake birth certificates and a Texas driver's license under the name Jacob Alexander Gregg.

Assistant District Attorney Jane Starnes blamed greed, pointing to a $110,000 life insurance policy. Officials also said the staged death came days before Clayton Daniels was to report to jail for failing to report to his probation officer. He had been given probation for a sexual assault of a young girl.

Defense lawyer Thomas Vasquez said Molly Daniels' motive was fear that her children, ages 4 and 1, would not have been allowed to have contact with their father under terms of his sentence.

©Tyler Morning Telegraph 2005

Thats very disturbing and sick.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Defense lawyer Thomas Vasquez said Molly Daniels' motive was fear that her children, ages 4 and 1, would not have been allowed to have contact with their father under terms of his sentence.
    Uh...I would hope a no contact order would be in place. Sounds like a good home environment for the 1 and 4 year old. NOT!

Default Re: How not to start a new life?

Originally posted by Sugarfoot
    ....He had been given probation for a sexual assault of a young girl.

Well I should hope not.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Oh my! When you think you've heard it all.

SOMEBODY SAVE THOSE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the state looks into the well being of those kids. If there daddy is abusing others they could be or become a target.
    Rath De Ort

RSM

Just goes to show that some people will do anything.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

All I can think of right now is double you tee eff??

Andy

Thread Information