MembersZone Subscriber

Yep - RealWheels has spinners. They said they couldn't make them fast enough, though the big buyers so far have been the big tow truck/wrecker folks.

We WILL see than on a fire apparatus, I just wonder who will be first.

Forum Member

Any fire chief who specs out "spinners" on a fire truck should be made to pay for them himself, or hand in his resignation! I can think of better things to do with the money...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Any fire chief who specs out "spinners" on a fire truck should be made to pay for them himself, or hand in his resignation! I can think of better things to do with the money...
    Absolutely......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Santa Cruz

Here is a picture of the Santa Cruz CA Imperial Chassis SL75 Climbing Ladder. Not too bad, but not the Sutphen that I have come to know and love!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

I totally agree. The next thing the bum will spec is a stereo blaster with a drum beat cd that you can hear over the Q and Glovers two miles away!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Post Update

Does anyone have any more information about the SPH 100? I'm just curious if anyone has used one or seen it in operation. Also, if anyone has any good pictures, I'd like to see them. I'm researching a new truck for our department and I want to get some solid information on this model. Thanks for any help.

Some Guy

We had one stop by a few months ago. We loved it. Fast to set up, huge bucket, did not have to be level, easy to drive and felt really sturdy. Of the 4 manufacturers that showed up so far it is one of the favorites. We do like others too. It's going to be a hard choice

In no order this is what we have played with:

Sutphen sph-100

an older Sutphen

E-One- HP-95 ( Perth Amboys)

ALF mid mount

Metz

Other soon.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Kylewickman, How did you like " Perth Amboys " new E-One 95' midmount platform, I am from the next town over in Woodbridge Twp , N.J. I have seen the truck in action and it is a well built tower ladder . The price tag was between $ 850,000 - $ 900,000 with equipment!...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 06-24-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Some Guy

Personely, I loved it. We operate several E-Ones and I have always been so-so with them. I thought this trucks was great. I loved the bucket tilt to vent. I would have liked to have seen more compartment space. Over all I'd take it, but I am only paid from the neck down.
    This space for rent

Some Guy

Oh yeah, when it was here it caught a job. We where in route to the training grounds when a reported fire came in. It responded right behind us and was the 1st due truck. Pretty funny to see it all the way up North as "mutual aid." We ended up having a basement fire and even stretched a line off of it. This was any salesman's dream to have a demo go to work. The guys that came up with it from Perth Amboy FD were a class act. A big thank you to them.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

We've run nothing but Sutphens for the last 20 years. That new chassis is just about the ugliest thing that you could possibly put on a chassis. I'd rather have the Pierce Quantum, but not by much. The newest rig we've got, a 110' Magnum, is one hell of a machine, and looks right to boot.

http://www.geocities.com/wrfd4/Tower10.htm

Forum Member

Kme Fire Apparatus has a 100 ' Midmount Platform demo truck built on the new " Predator " chassis , give them a call at 800-235-3928 .

MembersZone Subscriber

Just demo'd one @ New England Chief's show in Springfield MA. Nice truck, huge bucket,smooth operation, easy egress (no bars to duck) bucket, overall great layout and features. Also liked the waterway completely protected by box boom const. Very stable and KISS operation. Right now I am putting this as one of the top 2 on my list.

Forum Member

Sutphen has made several nice changes with this one(Sph 100).Big bucket,easy acess,flat deck and the automatic bucket leveler is much smoother than other Sutphens we have tried.Good angle of approach and departure too.Like all Sutphens,built like a brick outhouse.Like the boss,I'd rate it as one of my top two picks,all dollars being equal. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless you get the new "no overhang bucket" how do you do any trcuk work from the bucket of a Sumthin'??? We used one for awhile and it worked OK, not flawlessly and couldn't get used to the large metal pimple on the bottom of the bucket. I know they started a bucket w/o this and cannot see any use for the older style?

Also, what about the lack of a lip edge and a front flat only door? The older style Sutphen bucket has to be the least versatile one out there. (at least the fly shopping cart is removable! ) How do you enter/exit a window if your not straight on to the building? How about Granny?
    Last edited by RFDACM; 06-26-2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more info added

MembersZone Subscriber

A quick view of the Sutphen website shows that only the SPH model has the new no over hang bucket. This "new" bucket looks like it may have dual doors but they're only slightly angled? Also, it does look like it has a front lip edge but like the Peirce flying dumpster and the E-One this is less versatile to work from than other manufactures buckets.

Forum Member

Ah RFD,I see you post first,check details later.Yes,the SPH as I indicated earlier has a new design,flat bottom bucket that I would regard as very easy to work out of.As memory serves there is a "lip"that runs around the outside of the bucket.The hydraulics are also improved allowing quicker deployment in all areas.Acess to the bucket is off the rig not off the mini stairwell on the bucket(SPH doesn't have this;the bucket stairwell that is ). T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-26-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Forum Member

SPH has a button with no overhang on the bottom. It has four doors, if I remember correctly. Two on the front, one from the ladder, and one on the back driver's side so that you can walk along the side of the truck and enter the bucket. It does have a lip on the front, at least the one we demoed, as well as swing out stox basket holder.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Lets talk buckets!

you guys are all talking buckets, and nobody has mentioned ALF's bucket! Easily the most well thought out design. 29 square feet of floor space (19 inside, and another 10 outside). 2 self closing angled doors, with out the need for a mansaver type (lift up) safety bar. Moveable control console in the bucket, without any dangling curly cords. Nice big sturdy handrails between the bucket and the ladder (check out the competition on this point!). Built in 3 pieces, so the whole thing doesn't have to be replaced (repaired) when it gets bashed up. Option for mounting roof ladder, to access roof tops with parapet walls. Stainless steel heat shielding all around. Auto, or manual leveling controls. 2 platform lifting arms (250 pounds each).

Forum Member

Yeah, forgot about that. The SPH's bucket has a permanently affixed folding extension ladder on the front of the bucket. Flip it out and down, extend it, and you have your ladder for parapets.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Rescue 101: OK I posted before I went to the site, at least I looked. I'm still not a fan. Yes, its better and maybe as good as some others. The handrails between the aerial and the bucket look and feel like the came off a Walmart Kiddie pool. Of course they(Sutphens) will work, and work well, everyday, just anything else. They will also not work at times, just like all the others.

A bucket, IMHO should have the abilty for access/egress from more than one angle (90 degrees). This means that regardless of where you stick the doors, the bucket must have angles at the outermost points (much like the ALF or KME). The lip should extend to three sides. The doors should swing in for rapid egress from the building into the bucket and require no more than a single action (like fire exit doors). As much room as possible, a workable gun and a decent floor. I was actaully very impressed with KME's bucket. ALF's is, as canuck 1 points out, pretty damn nice. E-One's "tip-in" feature is nice. (Can be done by manually moving the pendulum on a Scope)

As for the "permanent" parapet ladder: what if its too short? Many others offer the mounts which you place the straight ladder (mounted behind the bucket on the aerial) onto at the appropriate height.

Forum Member

RFD,I'm by no means a "bucket" guy.I've worked off straight sticks for a majority of my career.However,we are lookig at a tower to replace two current pieces so I have found all the commentary here beneficial.One thing I like about the Sutphen is the way they enclose the waterway,you have to go out of your way to whack that one unlike some of the other breeds.As I indicated earlier,I kind of like the E-ones ability to tip the bucket into the roof,I've opened up a couple roofs off our neighbors rig (95' -one).Never tried a "scope" although I'd like to.The ALF is nice but the rig is HUGE,it wouldn't fit in some parts of town.I'm baseing this on the one I saw at the NEFCC. .So the hunt continues. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

TC: We found that the ALF 93 footer was smaller than the E-One, KME and the Peirce. Far smaller than the Aerialscope. All of them were the same hieght and width (not a spec either). The KME had the best turing radius (wall to wall) followed by ALF. This was for mid-mounts though, I have no idea on rearmounts. I have some comparative numbers from our actual bids as no one builds these things as small as they say on their websites!

I do like the Sutphen's waterway(until the end). Only Scope and Sumthin' offer this currently, but word is that others are trying to "protect" theirs for a shot at the FDNY bids.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    TC: We found that the ALF 93 footer was smaller than the E-One, KME and the Peirce. Far smaller than the Aerialscope. All of them were the same hieght and width (not a spec either). The KME had the best turing radius (wall to wall) followed by ALF. This was for mid-mounts though, I have no idea on rearmounts. I have some comparative numbers from our actual bids as no one builds these things as small as they say on their websites!

I do like the Sutphen's waterway(until the end). Only Scope and Sumthin' offer this currently, but word is that others are trying to "protect" theirs for a shot at the FDNY bids.
    Do you think that the " FDNY " will ever look into testing a ( E-one Bronto ) . It costs about the same as a 95' Seagrave Aerialscope and is built with a boxed boom ladder tower !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 06-28-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Forum Member

I believe FDNY tried E-One once already, and they ran the wheels off of the ones they had in a lot less time than it normally takes them.

Safety is no accident.

Thread Information