Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Nice!

Nice RFRD, An oldie but a goodie!!! I'll bet that you've not had many problems with that old truck. Built to last!!
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Weruj would have more insight on problems, etc as I am just an explorer, but I still think that it is a great truck. I recently saw the exact same model aerial except one year newer while on vacation and it was in horrible shape. It looked like it hadn't seen wax since about two months after it was bought, it was rusting, and coated in about an inch of dust. 791(the Sutphen on www.rossfordfire.com ) is in great shape and always looks sharp.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Originally posted by npfd801
    Easily in the hideous category. I asked our local rep about what they were thinking at FDIC, and his answer was it was a package offered to departments that wanted more "bling" on their apparatus. The Caddy Escalade headlights don't do anything for me, but he also mentioned there was hope to appeal to the "younger, hip crowd" that are increasingly the folks deciding how to build/spec an apparatus.

Personally, I like it less that the Spartan Evolution and Pierce Quantum, which I pretty much don't like either. It reminds me of the snout of the older streamliner passenger train locomotives.

Only my opinion though. As far as I know only one currently exists.
    What's next? Spinners for fire truck wheels? Fart can exhaust systems?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The truck is in great shape.........every year since we have had it we pay Sutphen to come up and it goes out of service for 1-3 days and they literally start at one end of it and go to the other, going over EVRYTHING. Most recent big ticket repairs are new clutch 2 years ago and 3 or so years ago when Suthpen came up they noticed a hydraulic cyliner was leaking so it got sent to Columbus and they all got done which was the recommendation from Sutphen. When we went down to pick it up the techs there couldnt believe what great shape it was in. This was when Detroit FD was having some problems and we got see some of their units........WOW .....the boys loved the classic cherry ........and hated to see it go........Oh ya the only other thing, on the passenger side door there was some "cancer" eating away at the cab and we took care of that last year. It has had a total audible and visual warning upgrade as well.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Spinners

I saw spinners for fire truck wheels at FDIC. I think it was RealWheels.

Yep - RealWheels has spinners. They said they couldn't make them fast enough, though the big buyers so far have been the big tow truck/wrecker folks.

We WILL see than on a fire apparatus, I just wonder who will be first.

Any fire chief who specs out "spinners" on a fire truck should be made to pay for them himself, or hand in his resignation! I can think of better things to do with the money...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Any fire chief who specs out "spinners" on a fire truck should be made to pay for them himself, or hand in his resignation! I can think of better things to do with the money...
    Absolutely......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Default Santa Cruz

Here is a picture of the Santa Cruz CA Imperial Chassis SL75 Climbing Ladder. Not too bad, but not the Sutphen that I have come to know and love!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

I totally agree. The next thing the bum will spec is a stereo blaster with a drum beat cd that you can hear over the Q and Glovers two miles away!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Post Update

Does anyone have any more information about the SPH 100? I'm just curious if anyone has used one or seen it in operation. Also, if anyone has any good pictures, I'd like to see them. I'm researching a new truck for our department and I want to get some solid information on this model. Thanks for any help.

Some Guy

We had one stop by a few months ago. We loved it. Fast to set up, huge bucket, did not have to be level, easy to drive and felt really sturdy. Of the 4 manufacturers that showed up so far it is one of the favorites. We do like others too. It's going to be a hard choice

In no order this is what we have played with:

Sutphen sph-100

an older Sutphen

E-One- HP-95 ( Perth Amboys)

ALF mid mount

Metz

Other soon.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Kylewickman, How did you like " Perth Amboys " new E-One 95' midmount platform, I am from the next town over in Woodbridge Twp , N.J. I have seen the truck in action and it is a well built tower ladder . The price tag was between $ 850,000 - $ 900,000 with equipment!...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 06-24-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Some Guy

Personely, I loved it. We operate several E-Ones and I have always been so-so with them. I thought this trucks was great. I loved the bucket tilt to vent. I would have liked to have seen more compartment space. Over all I'd take it, but I am only paid from the neck down.
    This space for rent

Some Guy

Oh yeah, when it was here it caught a job. We where in route to the training grounds when a reported fire came in. It responded right behind us and was the 1st due truck. Pretty funny to see it all the way up North as "mutual aid." We ended up having a basement fire and even stretched a line off of it. This was any salesman's dream to have a demo go to work. The guys that came up with it from Perth Amboy FD were a class act. A big thank you to them.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

We've run nothing but Sutphens for the last 20 years. That new chassis is just about the ugliest thing that you could possibly put on a chassis. I'd rather have the Pierce Quantum, but not by much. The newest rig we've got, a 110' Magnum, is one hell of a machine, and looks right to boot.

http://www.geocities.com/wrfd4/Tower10.htm

Forum Member

Kme Fire Apparatus has a 100 ' Midmount Platform demo truck built on the new " Predator " chassis , give them a call at 800-235-3928 .

MembersZone Subscriber

Just demo'd one @ New England Chief's show in Springfield MA. Nice truck, huge bucket,smooth operation, easy egress (no bars to duck) bucket, overall great layout and features. Also liked the waterway completely protected by box boom const. Very stable and KISS operation. Right now I am putting this as one of the top 2 on my list.

Sutphen has made several nice changes with this one(Sph 100).Big bucket,easy acess,flat deck and the automatic bucket leveler is much smoother than other Sutphens we have tried.Good angle of approach and departure too.Like all Sutphens,built like a brick outhouse.Like the boss,I'd rate it as one of my top two picks,all dollars being equal. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless you get the new "no overhang bucket" how do you do any trcuk work from the bucket of a Sumthin'??? We used one for awhile and it worked OK, not flawlessly and couldn't get used to the large metal pimple on the bottom of the bucket. I know they started a bucket w/o this and cannot see any use for the older style?

Also, what about the lack of a lip edge and a front flat only door? The older style Sutphen bucket has to be the least versatile one out there. (at least the fly shopping cart is removable! ) How do you enter/exit a window if your not straight on to the building? How about Granny?
    Last edited by RFDACM; 06-26-2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: more info added

Thread Information