Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sutphen Imperial Chassis

Wanted to know if someone had seen this chassis in person and see what peoples thoughts were on the new design from sutphen.

Easily in the hideous category. I asked our local rep about what they were thinking at FDIC, and his answer was it was a package offered to departments that wanted more "bling" on their apparatus. The Caddy Escalade headlights don't do anything for me, but he also mentioned there was hope to appeal to the "younger, hip crowd" that are increasingly the folks deciding how to build/spec an apparatus.

Personally, I like it less that the Spartan Evolution and Pierce Quantum, which I pretty much don't like either. It reminds me of the snout of the older streamliner passenger train locomotives.

Only my opinion though. As far as I know only one currently exists.

Post Sutphen Imperial Chassis

I have seen the Imperial Chassis in person 2 times now. It definately takes some getting used to but it still doesn't do anything for me. It just doesn't scream Sutphen like thier other models. For a good many years now, it has been easy to look at the front of a truck and know with out a doubt that it was a Sutphen because of the headlight housings. However, severla people in my area really liked the look. It was appearently designed with the West coast in mind. Appearently, they are looking for some newer-sleaker shapes out there. One that I saw was a new 75' climbing ladder for Santa Cruz CA. Not a bad package, but still not my favorite. So I guess - still up in the air - but not as ugly as the Quantum!!!!

P.S. The only change to the cab is the front facia, the rear and the interior are still the exact same. Thank goodness!!!
    Last edited by efd281; 05-06-2005 at 05:05 PM.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

HA!! I heard the same line out at Indy. Sutphen was trying to get more appeal on the west coast.

Do you West Coast guys all like ugly trucks?

I'M KIDDING!

I've seen ugly all over this country...

I looked at it last night after viewing this thread and it is UGLY !!! Gimmie a good old fashioned, squared off, external mounted light housing, Sutphen ANYDAY !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 06:36 PM.

That reminds me of those oooooold 1960s and 1970s British looking fire engines. Maybe we can get Stevedude to come over and tell us who made em...

Now, pardon me while I run to throw up!

PS: The Quantum is the only Pierce chassis I actually like!
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Firefighter807, You are incorrect if you are saying Sutphen only uses the Cinci Cab. The only cab that Sutphen buys from Cinci is the Split Tilt - all other cabs are in fact built by Sutphen at their chassis plant. We are specing out a new engine and just returned from their chassis plant.

I will agree, the Imperial is ugly!!!!

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 06:35 PM.

807,And why do you feel that Pierce is VASTLY superior? T.C.

Post Get it straight!

The first shield series cabs were in fact "Sutphen Built" but due to the cost of a top notch union shop, TCM now builds the cabs for the shield and the split tilt cabs. The cabs are, however, built 100% to the Sutphen spec and are warrantied as any other "Sutphen Built" cab. In other words, there is no divided reponsibility. But, if a buyer refuses to have the cab manufactured anywhere else, they will still build it in the Sutphen Chassis plant.

Firefighter807 - You have obviously not been around much. Either that or all you have ever worked with are Pierces. True, they build a good truck - but a better choice??!!?? Sutphen is the oldest, family owned fire apparatus manufacturer in the business. If that doen't garner at least some respect then nothing I can tell you will.

Forum Member

We just took in a new Sutphen Monarch Custom. We had them do away with the Stainless Steel bevels on the lights and had the lights flush mounted to match our other engine/rescue which is a 2002 E-one.
    If it wasn't for the Q being mounted in the grill, ya couldn't tell that much of a difference and since then, they have had numerous people wanting the flush mount look.

As for Pierce, they were at our top of the listing but they never got around to placing a bid. The Top choice was 4-Guys but they also never bid because of lack of communications for the stainless or aluminum (sp).

However, The Sutphen has been real nice so far and we are more pleased with it than we thought we would be.Nice people to work with, and they can really build a truck the way you want it.

STILL DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Sutphen show a picture of it on their site? Do you have a shot you could share? I would love to see a picture of the flush mount look on a Sutphen.

I will give Sutphen credit, there seems to be quite a few pretty old Sutphen aerials running around, still passing cert requirements. They must be doing something right to still be functional after so many years.

Forum Member

Speaking of Sutphen aerials, does anybody know if they've sold any of the new SPH-100 platforms yet? It seems like an awesome new design -- shorter wheelbase, more compartment space, and lighter (as typical for Sutphen) than just about anybody else.

Post Sold SPH-100's

So far there a couple in the works:

Anderson, IN. and Grand Prairie, TX.

I have seen this truck and it is an awesome rig. The bucket is freaking HUGE!!

Default right on the front page ..........

ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

If the link is for my benefit, I'm not looking for a shot of the Imperial. I'm well aware of how that thing looks (as I had posted.) I'd like to see what Orangebuster's Monarch series looks like with flush mounted hardware. I suspect it doesn't look like
    the Imperial.

Thanks though...
    Last edited by npfd801; 05-09-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Forum Member

801 I will try to get those on here soon for you. Just getting back from a breif trip. And no, it doesn't look like the Imperial.

STILL DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!

Arrow

that was for npfd801.............
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

That has to be the ugliest firetruck I've seen in my life.

Ill take this anyday:

http://www.rossfordfire.com/791.html
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information