Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierce Arrow XT

Forum Member

Default Pierce Arrow XT

New to the Forums so here goes:

Does anyone know about why the LAFD got the Pierce Arrow XT instead of the Dash? Also I heard from someone that LAFD got a split order from Pierce and Seagrave for their last order of pumpers.

Also In the News section of Pierces website they mentioned that they have delivered 58 apparatus including rescues and hzamat. Does anyone know if the new Hazmats are Pierces?

MembersZone Subscriber

LAFD did a spilt order a while back between Pierce and Seagrave, I think it was 10 and 10. They also did a split order on the engines powering them between CAT and I think Cummins to try out the newer CAT.

Their last aerials are ALF Eagle tractors with LTI 100' tillered aerials and they have a number of them.

As for Rescues the LAFD USAR rigs are on '99 Pierce Dash chassis. I have no idea of any new rescues recieved, but I am a long way away.

The last Haz Mat Squad rigs were Seagrave/Saulsbury. Unknown on any new ones.

They also recieved some newest Foam Tenders are also FL112/Pierce rigs.

And the Rehab/Air Tenders are FL80/ALF rigs.

As for why buy the Arrow XT, it is being pushed very hard as a heavy duty, urban, big city rig so that may be part of it. Also its limited multiplexing, rugged and limited vinyl interior, simple interior, simpler A/C system, friendlier switch access, etc.

Just some thoughts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Ive heard that Seagrave is out, due to the problems that LAFD has been having with them. Does anyone have any more information about this?

Forum Member

I was just out at pierce a few weeks ago. they had some LAFD engines on the line. From what I've read the split order was to compare the 2 makes. I asked about the split order when I was at Pierce and was told that after that order LAFD decided to go with Pierce and granted them the full contract. All new LAFD engines are Pierce Arrow XT's.
    Last edited by Ladder27; 05-09-2005 at 10:12 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

I also was at Pierce a week ago and saw a couple of their Arrow XT's on the line.

Good choice by LAFD!
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

From the new deliveries section of Pierces website

http://www.piercemfg.com/new_deliver...94&Type=rescue

Niiiiiiice
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

Default LAFD Pumpers

In 2003 LA ordered 11 each from Pierce and Seagraves. They then ordered another 6 from each. Pierce trucks had the Cat C-12 bridge engine until the new C-13 EPA engine was available. the Seagraves had Det. series 60. Both 430 hp. The Pierce trucks have IFS Tak-4.
    LA is now ordering Pierce exclusively. And from the reports coming out of New York the joke may not be on Pierce after all. When they first introduced the Arrow xt alot of people here and in the industry wise cracked about the new truck. Now that the intended goal of landing LA has been met , expect them to go after departments like FDNY and others. Sounds like Seagraves is in alot of trouble right now, what a shame for a once great company with a history even greater than the old ALF out of Elmira. Other than LA and New York, is any other major department running Seagraves?
    Later.

Forum Member

GILAMONSTER,

Better get your facts straight. L.A. City is NOT ordering exclusively Pierce. They just recently entered into a multi-year deal with ALF/LTI on tractor drawn aerials ( their preferred supplier of aerials ), and have open a multi-year deal on pumpers with both Pierce and Seagrave. L.A. City has a contract with Seagrave for several completely redesigned Marauder pumpers made especially for them with Cat C-13 engines, independent air ride front suspensions, new electrical system design ( not multiplex), and larger, wider cabs. Pumpers are supposed to be delivered yet this year. That contract extends for several more years with an option to purchase either Pierce or Seagrave, or both as in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by gilamonster
    When they first introduced the Arrow xt alot of people here and in the industry wise cracked about the new truck. Now that the intended goal of landing LA has been met , expect them to go after departments like FDNY and others.
    I thought FDNY only bought fixed cabs.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BVFD1983
    I thought FDNY only bought fixed cabs.
    They do -- which is why for them to buy Pierce they'd have to change their specs. Pierce doesn't make a fixed cab.

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2
    As for why buy the Arrow XT, it is being pushed very hard as a heavy duty, urban, big city rig so that may be part of it. Also its limited multiplexing, rugged and limited vinyl interior, simple interior, simpler A/C system, friendlier switch access, etc.
    I love the idea of the Arrow XT...no senseless cosmetics and simplified systems with less bells and whistles to break...it's likely the direction I'll try to steer our specs next time we come up for replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by gilamonster
    Other than LA and New York, is any other major department running Seagraves?
    Washington, D.C.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by bobsnyder
    I love the idea of the Arrow XT...no senseless cosmetics and simplified systems with less bells and whistles to break...it's likely the direction I'll try to steer our specs next time we come up for replacement.
    We just met with our local pierce dealer to do a prelim spec on a truck, and they were highly recommending thr Arrow XT. The dealer gave the simple design, plus heavy duty chassis as a selling point to us, and after doing some independant research on it, I have to agree. We're looking at going with an Arrow XT with tandem rear axles. 2K of water with a 1500 GPM pump.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Quote Originally Posted by OneL1L
    Pierce doesn't make a fixed cab.
    I know this.
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Dcfd Has Also Been Purchasing Pierce Engines Recently

Forum Member

jdcroll

WRONG. For the last four years DCFD ,if you are refrencing the District of Columbia, has purchased all Seagrave pumpers and tractor aerials. In fact, I believe that they are or just have ordered a large order from Seagrave for '06
    that includes pumpers and aerials. They also just put a Seagrave HazMat in service. No Pierce's there to my understanding.

Forum Member

Firetrux, I beg to differ. Pierce job # 13927 for a Pierce Dash 1250gpm, 500gal H2O pumper with IFS and full LED lighting package. Assigned to engine 16 when photographed for the 2004 Pierce calendar

Forum Member

I made the last post from jdcroll about Pierces in DC. I didn't realize he was logged on on this computer. There are definately Pierces in DC and they've been delivered recently. Hell, there was just one in the 04 Pierce calender, I believe. Go here to see DCFD apparatus: http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html...shingtondc.htm

I'm not here tryin to push a brand on anyone. I'm simply stating fact: DCFD runs mostly Seagraves, but in recent years (within the last 4 years, I might add) They have also been purchasing Pierces (including engines, trucks, and command unit).
    Last edited by Ladder27; 10-03-2005 at 01:03 AM.

Thread Information