MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hey FDNY-Your contract is probably around the corner!

2006 Budget: Biggest Surplus In NYC History
    May 5, 2005 6:00 pm US/Eastern
    (1010 WINS) (NEW YORK) Mayor Michael Bloomberg proposed a $49.7 billion budget on Thursday and said the city's economy is healthy enough to make New Yorkers grin, but maybe not smile.

The budget for the next fiscal year is balanced -- in part with a $3.2 billion surplus from this year, the largest in city history, due to significantly higher tax revenues. Still, the mayor predicted a deficit of $4.5 billion for 2007 and $4.2 billion after that.

"We have a reason to have a grin on our face -- a big smile, maybe not, but a grin on our face -- because we have made the tough decisions and, in retrospect, I think it's fair to say that we've made the right decisions," he said.

As he has repeatedly throughout his term since taking office in 2002, he blamed most of the troubles for future deficits on expenses out of the city's control, like pensions, debt service, fringe benefits and Medicaid.

"Things are a little bit better, but we are certainly not out of the woods," he said. "Nobody should think that."

The mayor was caught off guard by an unexpected $500 million in expenses from the pension system, an area where he had predicted earlier this year the city would actually save more than $300 million.

The surprise cost was in part due to the pension system's discovery of about 1,000 teachers it wasn't covering, the budget office said.

Bloomberg said the error was "something that really has hurt our budget."

Still, the mayor's election year budget plan comes out balanced, bridging a $3.1 billion deficit -- and with room for $500 million in tax relief. The proposal includes the resumption of the $400 property tax rebate for homeowners and a sales tax cut on clothing purchases under $110, which the mayor says helps New Yorkers who are "the most vulnerable."

Fiscal year 2006 begins July 1.

Forum Member

Yeah, maybe......the city's got plenty of $$$. But not for the firemen that Bloomberg loathes. We're going on 3 years with no contract, and none in site. Pathetic.

Forum Member

Good luck Matt

Forum Member

How do they suddenly find 1000 teachers that they weren't covering under a pension plan?
    IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

We have not gotten a raise in a long time because of the BILLIONAIRE Mayor who hate us. We may settle after the summer hopefully, but will still be behind.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    We have not gotten a raise in a long time because of the BILLIONAIRE Mayor who hate us. We may settle after the summer hopefully, but will still be behind.
    Ray, please understand that the title of this thread was typed with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Forum Member

I come from Australia, so you have to fogive me for being a little stupid, but why does Bloomberg hate the firefighters in NY?
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

From a standpoint from across the River, I would say that he doesn't "hate" the FDNY per se. I think that he has a belief that you should feel fortunate to work for NYC and how dare you ask to be paid more. If I'm not mistaken, the FD is not the only union he is dancing around.

Forum Member

He is dancing around the teachers union also. They are coming up on 3 years without a contract also.

Bloomberg doesn't hate the FDNY per se, I believe he hates unions.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

Yeah...he likes the FDNY, its just the members he doesnt like.

Thread Information