Forum Member

Default Thought you had a rough day...

Got called to a commercial structure fire yesterday at 0230 hours. Building is a fair distance outside city limits, and tanker shuttle is needed. Halfway to the scene, Sheriffs deputy calls on radio and states the building is the "Parriott Cabinet Company," fully involved. I know the owner of the building, in fact, HE'S SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME ON THE TRUCK. Yep, you guessed it. On his off duty time he runs his family business of 42 years, a very successful cabinet making company. Building was only 1 year old at time of fire. He also has a house less than 1 year old to pay for too. So he makes the initial attack until a backup engine arrives, then he's allowed to leave and be with family.
    And you guys thought you were having a bad day. Geez...

Forum Member

I forgot to say building was a total loss, including a fleet of three trucks and a nice trailer.

Forum Member

And here i was complaining that it was too cold when i woke up.
    My training officer used to be in a brigade down south when he got a call out to a vehicle accident.
    On scene, they found it wasnt a vehicle accident in the normal sense, a young boy had been riding along beside the road when a motorist drove past holering at him (you know the type of d*&kheads that im talking about). The little boy got a fright and lost control of his bike. The little kid fell towards the road, and the truck travelling behind the car couldnt stop in time. The kid's head and upper torso were crushed under the wheels of the truck.
    One of the men responding with my officer was the boys father. Not something that i would wish on my worst enemy.
    The thing was, the man didnt even know at the time, the kid was so mutilated that the man couldnt even recognise his own son.
    Thats one of the bad things about being in a brigade in a close knit commmunity, most of the time you know the person who you are attending to. This didnt happen at our brigade, but we are in a similar situation. When there is a bush fire, we dont always get the address, sometimes its just the name of the owner of the property.
    Last edited by PattyV; 05-07-2005 at 09:05 PM.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Patty,

That's a horrific story. I think that's one of my biggest fears, responding to a call that involves one of my children.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

The closest thing i have had happen to me like this was when my mate Brian (also in the fire brigade) flipped his car and we responded to that, though i didnt get to go to the actual accident, i was on standby in case it started a bush fire. Luckily he walked away okay (just a few cuts and bruises)Though he now drives a lot more carefully.
    Our training officer told us about that story when he was warning us about the emotional effects of vehicle accidents. The look on his face was probably the thing that brought home to me the human aspect of this job. (we all get that moment and this was mine)
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Whils we are on the subject. Our "sister" station on the other side of the station ground was called out to a persons trapped RTA last night (070505). On arrival they found the wife of one of the stations crew trapped in her vehicle. She died of her injuries at the scene. I will be atending the station this week as a Critical Inicident Debriefer to try and help the guys through this one...
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

>HE'S SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME ON THE TRUCK.
    >So he makes the initial attack until a backup engine arrives,
    >then he's allowed to leave and be with family.

Not to criticize (and everything sounds 100% OK here) but as a point to let your new guys know when they join:

Small town, there's a good chance you may at some point have a fire on your own property.

While their may be exceptional situations, such as you're on the first due Engine and have to help start he attack...

As soon as possible you must be relieved of duty and go behind the "yellow line" along with all the other property owners and bystanders.

It's a double obiligation -- the Officer if he knows about the conflict to relieve him ASAP, and even if he doesn't the Firefighter is obliged to let him know and request relief.

One, it protects you from getting to passionate and having blinders on and hurting yourself making bad decisions.

Two, it protects you from accusations of tampering with a crime scene. Once the Fire Investigators are willing to release the property back to the owners, then you can come back inside the yellow line.

It's nothing personal, but that's just the way things need to be.
    Trolls? We don't need no stinking Trolls.
    -------
    Don't confuse me with facts, because I actually do like to sound like an idiot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default poem

ACCIDENT TONIGHT

THE NIGHT WAS NORMAL AS ANY SUNDAY NIGHT
    IN BED AND ASLEEP SO SOUND
    THE PAGER SOUNDS AT 00:57 OUR FEET HIT THE GROUND
    THE MIND HALF AWAKE AND THE HEART STARTS TO POUND

MOTOR VEHICLE COLLISION VICTIMS INVOLVED
    EMS & POLICE HAVE BEEN DISPATCHED
    NONE ARE AWARE THAT THIS HORRIBLE SCENE
    IS A TRUCK PACKED WITH 4 UNBELTED TEENS

THEY ALL ARE BEST BUDS OUT FOR THE NIGHT
    NO INDICATION TO WHAT IS TO UNFOLD
    TO SO MANY IN OUR SMALL TOWN
    THE SCENE SO HORRIFIC TO THE SIGHT
    OF THE 4 YOUNG PEOPLES UPCOMING PLIGHT

1 DEAD AT THE SCENE SO UPSETTING TO ALL
    2 RED AND ATTENTION NEEDED RIGHT AWAY
    1 YELLOW AND SHE CAN WAIT FOR LATTER HELP
    WE ATTEND TO THE RED AS FAST AS WE CAN
    ONLY TO FIND 1 RED IS THE SON OF CAPPIE OF OUR CREW
    HOW DO WE SUPPORT HIM, WHAT CAN WE DO!

EMS, POLICE, FIRE-FIGHTERS ALL AT THE SCENE
    WORKING TOGETHER AS FAST TO GET
    ALL VICTIMS, PARENTS, HOSPITAL, FRIENDS, AND COMMUNITY
    THE LIVES OF SO MANY WHO KNOW ALL THESE KIDS
    NOTIFIED, COMFORTED, PREPARED, SUPPORTED, AND TREATED
    ALL KNOWING THAT THIS IS THE WORST IT'S EVER BEEN

THE ORDEAL CONTINUES AS TIME DRAGS ON
    2 FUNERALS - SHE'S IN HOSPITAL BEING TREATED FOR SOME TIME
    1 IN A COMA - CAPPIE AND HIS FAMILY LIVES ON HOLD
    IT'S NOW IN GODS GREAT HANDS AS WHAT IS TO UNFOLD

10 DAYS AFTER THE TRAGEDY THE NEWS HAS ARRIVED
    AND SAD TO SAY THAT THE LAST DID NOT SURVIVE
    HE FOUGHT HIS BATTLE WITH EVERY ONES PRAYERS
    HE JOINS THE OTHER 2 AND CONTINUE THEIR QUEST
    THE COMMUNITIES PRAYERS AND WISHES
    TO THE FAMILIES OF ALL "PEACE AND REST"

EVERYONE TOUCHED BY THIS TRAGEDY THIS TIME
    ASK OURSELVES WHAT CAN WE DO
    TO HELP OUR FUTURE TEENS
    TO PREVENT SUCH A MESS
    NOT WEARING SEAT BELTS IS SUCH A CRIME

(Bruce Wade - Drumheller Fire Department)

Thread Information