Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mercury spills

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mercury spills

I am in charge of creating a SOG on Mercury spills. I am looking for some samples if anyone can assist me. E-mail me at JohnnyO152@firehousezone.com. Thanks
    Last edited by JohnnyO152; 05-07-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Johnny...I assume you checked the web. I Googled "Mercury Spill Cleanup Procedures" and found a few good documents you can use in your research to come up with a SOG. There are actually one or two good samples of what you may be looking for on the first page of the search.

Of course, disposal is another issue altogether...you can always use the catch all, easy way out and say "dispose of according to local, state, and federal regulations" but that doesn't answer the question. Check the EPA website for the latest on mercury disposal alternatives.

MembersZone Subscriber

Skyraider thank you for your assistance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Mercury Spills

You might also check with local collages and universities, if they have labs, they should have mercury spill procedures. They also usually have hazardous waste divisions and may be able to assist in disposal.

Forum Member

Default Mercury Spills

Mercury spills can get a little touchy from a first responder's point of view. You may find that the majority of these spills that you may respond to will only involve clean-up. As a first responder, you may only be able to isolate the spill site and call in a clean-up contractor. Unless your personnel are 40 hour OSHA HAZWOPER certified, you may be entering into something that you're not prepared for. By begining a clean-up, you may be opening a legal Pandora's Box. Mercury spills also require specialized and quite often expensive equipment to remediate. If I can be of any assistance, please give me a shout.

Johnny, not sure if you're still interested, but I just came across this and thought perhaps it could help you.

EPA's taking a major step to eliminate mercury in the environment by changing the waste management requirements for mercury-contaminated equipment. They've come out with a new final rule to add mercury-containing equipment to the list of "universal wastes." Without going into details and boring you here, you can check out the link.... http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste...ectron/crt.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

I can not agree more with Spectre130, mercury spills are very tricky. It volatilizes in remarkable ways. When spilled it balls up and rolls behind base board trim and in between hard wood flooring where it sits and volatilizes. People have been known to use a vacuum to clean up the element. In so contaminate the vacuum and re-introduce harmful vapors into their living space every time they clean. Carpets should be disposed when mercury gets in them period. Trying to sweep balls of mercury causes them to volatize. Breakage of mercury filled lamps poses high risk of exposure.

A typical fire department, any department not equipped with a mercury vacuum and atmospheric monitoring devices such as a Lumex or Jerome meter, is not capable of cleaning up a mercury spill of any amount. If you walk into a room where a mercury spill has occurred you may have exceeded OSHA or NIOSH TWAs and if you are a female of child bearing age you are more at risk.

This is an amazing material if it comes out of its container, even after a clean up the stuff can still persists in the air. Understand this material. Have a policy of how you are going to respond to it and find out who in your area can clean up it up. Not all clean up companyís can handle mercury even though they claim to do it all. Find out who does it best and provides the best monitoring and clean up engineering capabilities during the response.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might want to call the DCFD. They recently handled a few mercury spills in the DC public school system.

Forum Member

We've had many mercury spills in Dallas. According to the EPA they will send out a clean up team if is a private residence. If it is a business they are responsible for their own clean up. We had a clean up kit but you get into a liability issue when it is cleaned up in trying to determine if the room or area is clean or not.

Steve Harris
    Lt. Dallas Hazmat

Thread Information