MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Darwin Award Candidates -- Home-made Shotgun

We were called to a shooting today. When LEO advised it was safe to approach, we got on scene to find an 8 y/o boy and an 11 y/o boy had tried to make a home-made shotgun.

I don't know where they found it, but somehow they came across the butt of a 16 guage shotgun that had the firing mechanism and all still intact. They taped on a piece of what looked to be .5" conduit about 4' long. Whenever they went to fire it, the shell eploded and shattered the makeshift barrel. They used a #6 shot.

The 8 y/o had lacerations to the top right of his head near scalp line, one on his jaw, and a few on his arms, all being superficial. The 11 y/o had almost identical injuries. The younger one was holding the barrel from beside the gun and the older one was firing.

On scene, enroute to the hospital and upon arrival there, the younger boy was very scared, crying and remorseful. The older boy didn't seem to be upset by the incident. He seemed to me to be a future gangster in the making; the kid was even flexing his muscles in the back of the truck and while sitting in the ER. He seemed very sullen and aloof.

The kids said they came up with the idea by themselves, which is hard to beleive. Where would they get such an idea? Where the hell were the parents when the building and shooting was going on? Someone's got some 'splaining to do.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Default Re: Darwin Award Candidates -- Home-made Shotgun

Originally posted by Firefighter1219
    The older boy didn't seem to be upset by the incident. He seemed to me to be a future gangster in the making; the kid was even flexing his muscles in the back of the truck and while sitting in the ER. He seemed very sullen and aloof.
    Be careful what type of conclusions you jump to without knowing the child's history and/or background. Some children will play "tough guy" when they know they have been busted doing something wrong, while inside they are crapping their drawers. Some children have developmental issues in which having a clear understanding of consequences and "right from wrong" are diminished or nonexistant. For some children this is a coping mechanism.

Although, I sincerely hope that these two boys have learned their lesson. From the sounds of it they had fairly minor injuries, they were lucky!!!!!
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Be careful what type of conclusions you jump to without knowing the child's history and/or background. Some children will play "tough guy" when they know they have been busted doing something wrong, while inside they are crapping their drawers. Some children have developmental issues in which having a clear understanding of consequences and "right from wrong" are diminished or nonexistant. For some children this is a coping mechanism.
    The kid was also covered in tattoos that he drew all over himself. Still think he had the tough guy/future gangster (or perhaps wannabe) stuff going on. You would probably have to see him to understand what I mean.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

11 y/o boy 8y/o boy

Still think he had the tough guy/future gangster
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

The kid was also covered in tattoos that he drew all over himself. Still think he had the tough guy/future gangster (or perhaps wannabe) stuff going on. You would probably have to see him to understand what I mean.
    I have kids myself who at one time or another have drawn on themselves, or applied water soluable tattoos............. does that make them gangsta wannabe's????? I've worked with troubled children and I can say from experience that no matter how bad any of them were, there was always an underlying cause to their misbehavior, the majority of the time it was a cry for attention, no matter what type. Didn't mean they wanted to be "gangsta's" when they grew up
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Disillusioned Subscriber

Default Re: Darwin Award Candidates -- Home-made Shotgun

The kids said they came up with the idea by themselves, which is hard to beleive. Where would they get such an idea? Where the hell were the parents when the building and shooting was going on? Someone's got some 'splaining to do.
    It's not always "because" of the parents; sometimes it's in spite of the parents. As for coming up with it themselves, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Resources like the internet make just about anything possible anymore.

It's kinda tough for me to relate to these kids, because I was a perfect angel when I was young. Well, maybe not an angel, but I never played with things that could go boom. Wait a minute...yeah I did too. I took about 6 of the old heavy pop cans, cut the tops and bottoms out, and soldered them together. Without getting into details, I remember shooting tennis balls from the "tube" while experimenting for invreased range and velocity with a variety of different propellents such as lighter fluid, gasoline, and propane. Although it rocked the hell outta that tennis ball, the LP proved to be a HUGE mistake, btw (who knew a pop can could blow up like a hand grenade?). After I got my hand sewed up, I remember Dad convinced me that once again I wasn't being very wise in my choice of recreational activities (ie: he beat my ***).

If my parents had been found responsible for all the stuff I did as a kid, I'd still be taking them cigarettes on Sunday visitation. Some kids will just do "stuff", and even survive. While undoubtedly there are kids that get into stuff because of the failings of their parents, sometimes they do it because of the cleverness of the kids. That and most kids aren't concerned about a little thing called "consequence". Knowing what my parents went through with my brother and me (I was the good son), it's unfair to make such assumptions regarding culpability
    Last edited by Steamer; 05-08-2005 at 06:46 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Haha. How do you think I learned that WD-40 and other compressed lubricants found in the garage were flamable? Do you think a I read the label? HAHA. Duh. I lit a pile of papers on fire on a big boulder and sprayed it on the fire. When your that young, a home-made blowtorch is the coolest thing in the world. Luckily, it didn't blow up in my face.

Although I think knew better than to play with guns.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information